Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:17 am

Adding a datapoint. Booked O on AA codeshare on JAL out/in of HND. Departure in a couple of weeks. A quick call to AA, and my seat is reserved for both in and outbound. AA plat btw if that helps.
karenkay likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 7:31 pm

I booked J tickets using AA miles and I was able to select seats for all my previous trips using JAL's website and PNR, but it says no seat selection for my current trip. Is this something new?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
I booked J tickets using AA miles and I was able to select seats for all my previous trips using JAL's website and PNR, but it says no seat selection for my current trip. Is this something new?
Award flights booked using AA miles are not code share flights to my knowledge, and people have been able to select seats on JAL's website. My upcoming "paid" trip on AA code share flights operated by JAL cannot be retrieved on JAL's website using JAL's (Amadeus) PNR, and I needed to call the TA for seat assignment.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango
​​​​​​It should be possible to select seats. Unless all selectable seats are taken, or they are planning to change the assigned aircraft config.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I never had problem assigning seats on AA/JL codeshares pre-Covid but I'm seeming to have a lot of issues with a newest booking. AA Ex Plat line has just spent an hour trying to figure out how to assign seats. JL keeps rejecting the seat entries We've talked to both the helpdesk and the liaison desk and still no resolution. Just a heads up for any brave souls thinking of booking a codeshare!
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:59 am

The only problem I had was deciphering the reservation number and flight number from my Alaska Airline and American Airlines flights. The Flight Number was "2" for me. After I figured that out, I went on JAL's japan website, went into managed booking, entered in my details and I was able to select seats. This was all in economy. This occurred today.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, KF
Just figured it out today that in order to select seats on award booking using AA miles was not to login on your JMB account but instead, go to your region's site and plug in the information. I was able to select seats on my flights for November with DCA-MNL route.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3
If AA EXP equates to OWE then it may be worth trying to use the Malaysian Airlines site.
I have a BA codeshare (Gold/OWE) and it allows me to pick any J seat in the 787. Neither the BA or JL sites let me do this.
AA EXP here and curious - Is this still working? I was trying to access my reservation on the Malaysian Airlines website earlier today using both the AA & JL record locators and it kept erroring out saying it couldn’t locate any reservation. As a last resort I tried bringing up the reservation using the 001 ticket number and that didn’t work either. Did Malaysia Airlines turn this workaround off?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
I read the thread several times. Booked on AA, have my JAL record locator. Have tried to log into the JAL web site multiple times but always get the error "unable to find booking". Tried my first name and then JamesTheodore in the first name field all without success. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:36 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
I read the thread several times. Booked on AA, have my JAL record locator. Have tried to log into the JAL web site multiple times but always get the error "unable to find booking". Tried my first name and then JamesTheodore in the first name field all without success. Any other suggestions?
You need to assign seats through AA if your flight is AA coded.
karenkay, Global321 and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
Originally Posted by JALPak
You need to assign seats through AA if your flight is AA coded.
Spot on. Adding to this, AA agents can see and assign specific seats on JAL flights.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Global321
Spot on. Adding to this, AA agents can see and assign specific seats on JAL flights.
But the comment in the wiki thy OWE has access to all seats is generally not true. Row 5 is off limits until OLCI it seems.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EP
I am on an AA award J ticket on JAL to HND later this summer. AA provided me the JAL PNR which I used online to select meals and seats. I was able to secure the much desired row 5 seats on the JAL 777 without any issue. I have rechecked often and all remains as selected. Not sure why you can't select seats at JAL online. Be sure you're using the JAL locator vice the AA locator - they are definitely not the same.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grussell121
I am on an AA award J ticket on JAL to HND later this summer. AA provided me the JAL PNR which I used online to select meals and seats. I was able to secure the much desired row 5 seats on the JAL 777 without any issue. I have rechecked often and all remains as selected. Not sure why you can't select seats at JAL online. Be sure you're using the JAL locator vice the AA locator - they are definitely not the same.
You are on an award, that's not a codeshare. Award bookings are always on the native flight number, so they work differently.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EP
Just double checked my reservation confirmation email, I have both a AA & JAL PNR along with the AA codeshare flt # but it does say flight operated by Japan Airlines. I compared this to a similar email confirmation codeshare AA/BA RT flight from DCA to INV. They are almost identical, minus the specific flt details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.