Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by hsuyuanyuan
For N class, within 72 hours of departure, you can go to the following website to check in: JAL International Flights - A new style of boarding for JAL international flights

There you can select your seat. Way better that calling JAL and being on hold for 30 minutes.
For N-class, which I am booked with on JAL presently, it's 24 hours before the flight. Not on a codeshare.

I was originally told 72-hours. But the website had no option to select a seat when I finally figured out how to log in (it's just a little arcane, which is putting it nicely -- to say nothing of that they have so MANY websites, and none of them are particularly user friendly). I'm not a JAL member, but I booked on their site, initially, for a very low fare.

I finally called and reached a customer service agent today, and I was told it was 24 hours for N class seat reservation -- at least from the U.S.

A little irritated because when I booked the ticket, there was zero indication at all that I wouldn't be able to select a seat... until after I had already entered my credit card information.

Really hoping I at least am seated next to my spouse for the 17 hours of flying from SFO-HAN-HCMC here. Also, I really, really want a window seat. I am a phobic flier and tend to sleep through flights (and I take maybe 10-12 a year).

Also, no idea at all if I will be able to select seats for the return from HAN-HND-NAR-SFO, or if I have to wait again until 24-hours before leaving.

Last edited by wanderingstar; May 20, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: information added
Old May 20, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
For N-class, which I am booked with on JAL presently, it's 24 hours before the flight. Not on a codeshare.

I was originally told 72-hours. But the website had no option to select a seat when I finally figured out how to log in (it's just a little arcane, which is putting it nicely -- to say nothing of that they have so MANY websites, and none of them are particularly user friendly). I'm not a JAL member, but I booked on their site, initially, for a very low fare.

I finally called and reached a customer service agent today, and I was told it was 24 hours for N class seat reservation -- at least from the U.S.

A little irritated because when I booked the ticket, there was zero indication at all that I wouldn't be able to select a seat... until after I had already entered my credit card information.

Really hoping I at least am seated next to my spouse for the 17 hours of flying from SFO-HAN-HCMC here. Also, I really, really want a window seat. I am a phobic flier and tend to sleep through flights (and I take maybe 10-12 a year).

Also, no idea at all if I will be able to select seats for the return from HAN-HND-NAR-SFO, or if I have to wait again until 24-hours before leaving.
Online check in used to be 72 hours before the flight, but when JAL shited their systems to Amadeus in November it was changed to 24 hours before.

JAL has a fair amount of blocked seats that only are available when online check in opens. So I am certain that you well get a seat with your spouse, and fairly certain you will be able to get a window seat if you are not too worried about being at the back of the cabin, and make sure that you check in on the dot.

(On a good point of order, Haneda is HND, Narita is NRT, Hanoi is HAN. It makes it easier to grasp your routings if you use the correct airport codes, or write it out. Though in this case with only seat selection question, it is not that important but for other questions it might be )
Old May 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

Thanks a lot, CPH! Sorry, my brain is completely fried from a mad dash with work, packing, and of course sitting on the phone with JAL customer service for about 3 hours, waiting for them to pick up the phone after trying to use their wonderful website.

Robert's Rules most appreciated.

And the reassurance too.

Is everyone annoyed with JAL for this switcharoo, or is that just me?
Old May 20, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL has a fair amount of blocked seats that only are available when online check in opens. So I am certain that you well get a seat with your spouse, and fairly certain you will be able to get a window seat if you are not too worried about being at the back of the cabin, and make sure that you check in on the dot
And if for some reason, you're not able to get seats together at OLCI, do check with the JAL counter agent and then at the gate. Sometimes they can make it happen even with a full cabin.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks a lot, CPH! Sorry, my brain is completely fried from a mad dash with work, packing, and of course sitting on the phone with JAL customer service for about 3 hours, waiting for them to pick up the phone after trying to use their wonderful website.

Robert's Rules most appreciated.

And the reassurance too.

Is everyone annoyed with JAL for this switcharoo, or is that just me?
The 72H to 24H change? Most airlines do 24, so it is probably just following standards. I don't really think it is going to matter, I don't think you are going to see a high level of new bookings in the 48 hour window to reduce seat selection dramatically. And it anyway will not affect the blocked seats.

I can't even remember when I last did online check in for a flight, so personally speaking I am not annoyed by the change.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

first of all, this thread is about flights booked as AA codershare. Please stop confusing others as you aren’t booked as AA codeshare. Use your own thread or find a more appropriate one please.

also, JAL website indicates seat selection isn’t available for your flight before you enter the credit card info. It’s on the seat selection page and you wouldn’t be able to select your seat for the flights booked under N class. Yes it could have been improved but you are shown indication of seat selection ineligiblability before payment page. And since you are booked via JAL America website, you could have canceled without penalty or fee within 24 hours even you didn’t find out after payment. Anyway all these belongs to a different thread.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:25 pm

Sorry JALPak. And no, it did not indicate this, but I will not argue with you about it. I don't want to cause further confusion in this thread and will start a new one.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Seat selection on JL (NOT codeshare) but via AA.com

I've got an upcoming booking, all in J, the outbound is on JL (X bucket), NOT a codeshare (JL flight number), but presumably on AA ticket stock since I bought it via AA.com. Return is all on AA metal. I was given two PNRs when I made the booking. I can access the JL booking via the JL PNR, but unable to assign seats. I called the EXP line using the AA PNR, and the agent was able to assign me seats, although my preferred choices were "blocked for now". I haven't tried to call JL to see if they can access those blocked seats.

This appears to be a rather different scenario to most of the posts on this thread, in that, as far as I can tell, my flight is not a codeshare, albeit probably on AA ticket stock.

Anyone encounter this before?

tb
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the seats are blocked, it is because a combination of your fare and status does not allow you to select these specific seats? I am guessing you are looking at Expert Flyer or similar to know that they are blocked, and not simply taken.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
If the seats are blocked, it is because a combination of your fare and status does not allow you to select these specific seats? I am guessing you are looking at Expert Flyer or similar to know that they are blocked, and not simply taken.
it may also be possible that AA is blocked from selecting those seats. But then again, this is not a codeshare seat selection issue and OP should just start a new thread.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I'm not so worried about the blocked seat issue: I'll be happy enough with the J seats I have selected.

Also happy to have the posts moved to a new thread...I thought this was at least semi-related to this thread...

I'm more interested in if this is a new phenomenon or familiar to regular JL flyers; whether it's an odd one-off, or to be expected for potentially future bookings?

tb
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:52 pm

Looking at booking flight for me, my wife and our 11yo son from MCO-NRT connecting through either DFW or ORD. Booking through AA with flights to NRT operated by JAL. Everything I am reading indicates that we would not be able to select seats for the JAL leg until we check in at our connecting airport. I'm assuming this is still the case? This is obviously a concern as we do not want to be separated on these long flights because there are not three seats together. If there is no guarantee then would just book a different flight that does not include JAL (which would be a shame).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by rktj
Looking at booking flight for me, my wife and our 11yo son from MCO-NRT connecting through either DFW or ORD. Booking through AA with flights to NRT operated by JAL. Everything I am reading indicates that we would not be able to select seats for the JAL leg until we check in at our connecting airport. I'm assuming this is still the case? This is obviously a concern as we do not want to be separated on these long flights because there are not three seats together. If there is no guarantee then would just book a different flight that does not include JAL (which would be a shame).
I called AA and booked an award ticket to NRT flying on JL a couple weeks ago. I asked the agent on the phone for the JL confirmation number which was given to me no problem. Was easily able to login to JL's website without issue and I've changed my seat twice already with no problems.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rktj
It depends on booking class you are looking at, N and O you will have to wait until check in. Other booking classes should allow for seat selection in advance. Though there are problems being reported from time to time AA codeshare does mean AA should be responsible for seat assignments.

I have never had problems with AA issuing boarding passes for a JAL operated flight on the same booking. Though JAL likes to reprint them. So definitely no waiting until the JAL gate to get seats.

Originally Posted by DirtyRandy
I called AA and booked an award ticket to NRT flying on JL a couple weeks ago. I asked the agent on the phone for the JL confirmation number which was given to me no problem. Was easily able to login to JL's website without issue and I've changed my seat twice already with no problems.
Award flights are different, as they are always on the native flight number.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

It depends on booking class you are looking at, N and O you will have to wait until check in. Other booking classes should allow for seat selection in advance. Though there are problems being reported from time to time AA codeshare does mean AA should be responsible for seat assignments.

I have never had problems with AA issuing boarding passes for a JAL operated flight on the same booking. Though JAL likes to reprint them. So definitely no waiting until the JAL gate to get seats.
Thanks for the insight. AA website states that the booking class for JAL legs are "Q"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.