Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:39 pm

10 reasons given by IHG BPG team to deny a VALID claim

Recently I have become so fed up of reasons given by IHG for denying what later transpires to be a VALID claim. I don't have any issues with them invalidating a claim when it doesn't meet the terms and conditions but I have become increasingly annoyed by reasons some agents use to deny VALID claims that I wanted to share them. (Please feel free to add yours!)

10 reasons given by IHG BPG team to deny a VALID claim:

1) Replying to your email saying that the rate you saw is no longer available (Sometimes this is the case but usually not so-any screen shots you send won’t help as they say they need to verify it)

2) Replying enclosing a screen shot that apparently shows a higher rate. However on closer inspection the wrong date of stay has been entered/wrong number of people etc etc.

3) Taking over 24 hours to verify your claim via email and then claiming the rate is no longer available. Even if you confirm the rate is still available they then say 24 hours has passed and so won’t approve your claim.

4) Claiming the rate you found is not less than the 1% required or 1 usd.Note that often even calculations are produced BUT on closer inspection the wrong calculations have been done.

5) You may well have booked an advance rate which is the cheapest option at the time but by the time the rate is checked the best flexible rate has been reduced to lower than the advance purchase rate. They then claim you didn't book the lowest rate. (Be prepared to argue that it was the lowest rate at the time you made the booking)

6) Booking a rate which includes COMPLIMENTARY breakfast/club access eg Holiday inn Express. Because the other website does not mention that breakfast or club access is included the claim is rejected. (Not used often, be prepared to argue)

7) Taking a very long time to verify your claim eg almost 24 hours in the hope the rate you found is no longer available.

8) Claiming the room you booked is not the same type of room on the other website even though it clearly is.

9) Claiming the rate doesn’t include tax/city tax even though the site clearly shows it’s the total amount. They may even claim they spoke to customer services to confirm this when in fact customer services were closed during that period!

10) Can’t think of another one! Can you!....

7 TOP TIPS (Feel free to add yours)

1) Always phone with your claim. This reduces the chance of the rate changing or them giving you an email response after 24 hours saying the rate isn't available or some other reason. Call them free via skype.

2) If you do email them and haven’t heard back from them after some time make sure you call them before the 24 hours time limit has expired. That means if they do find a reason to deny your claim you have some time to resolve it.

3) Try to always have 2 sites where price is cheaper so that if they ď find a valid reason to deny your claim you at least have a back up.

4) Even after a claim is approved keep screen shots to prove your claim. It has been known before for a claim to be approved then rejected.

5) Email/call the customer service of the competing site to ask them to confirm the price they quote is the total price. Ask them to confirm it by email.

6) On issues of room types and claims the other site is a different room type email/call the hotel and ask them to confirm its same room type via email

7) Book a best flexible rate and call in with your claim for the lower rate. When the agent says the rate you booked can be cancelled penalty free and the other website charges a cancellation fee simply ask if this means that if you booked an advance purchase rate would this be a valid claim. When they confirm that it does have the screen ready to press confirm changes (to an advance rate) and tell the agent you have changed it.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Great tips!

I got a confirmation number ( positive BRG!) on the phone, but I do not have had any email and hotel did not change the price yet ( +/- 30 hours later)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by brianbon
1) Always phone with your claim. This reduces the chance of the rate changing or them giving you an email response after 24 hours saying the rate isn't available or some other reason. Call them free via skype.

4) Even after a claim is approved keep screen shots to prove your claim. It has been known before for a claim to be approved then rejected.

5) Email/call the customer service of the competing site to ask them to confirm the price they quote is the total price. Ask them to confirm it by email.

7) Book a best flexible rate and call in with your claim for the lower rate. When the agent says the rate you booked can be cancelled penalty free and the other website charges a cancellation fee simply ask if this means that if you booked an advance purchase rate would this be a valid claim. When they confirm that it does have the screen ready to press confirm changes (to an advance rate) and tell the agent you have changed it.
I found calling least efficient - I did call and they got me on hold for 15 mins and got the 3rd party site to change the rate. Then they denied my claim.

TBH it doesn't matter what you do if they have determined to turn down your claim. No matter what screenshot you sent them, once they have made up their mind, I found it difficult to convince them that I'm right - even though I'm!

About the asking 3rd party site for info - I did all that for 2 claims - I got a lower price through the third party site and I chatted with them and sent IHG the transcript showing that the price was actually lower.

Then IHG sent me their version of screenshot - absolutely same price as IHG.com and saying all the BS about them trying to stick to the T&C bla bla bla.

About changing the rate over the phone - as you may have read in previous posts - IHG has stopped letting people doing it. Even if they let you through, they have to ask the hotel to change the rate to comp. and if the hotel came back and say, 'hey that rate doesn't qualify'. Then you are still SOL.

My advice: Don't book prepaid rate unless you are ok with it if you are stuck with it. I don't trust anymore 'reimbursement' since IHG still owes me EUR 120.

Last edited by nacho; Apr 17, 2013 at 1:32 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
30 minutes later...success

I have just been on the telephone for 30 mins trying to get my Claim approved.
Glad i read some tips posted earlier in this thread or this would have been denied most likely. I called up having booked a double room with no breakfast and quoted a competing website rate which was cheaper and also included breakfast. I was told by the agent that the rate was found to be cheaper but as my rate did not include breakfast (even though it was higher than the competing rate WITH breakfast) would not be approved. I quickly stated this to her and suggested I would instantly rebook the same room with breakfast and she could then approve that. She stuttered and said that "it still wouldn't be 100% guaranteed". However I insisted and she put me on hold to cancel the current claim then took the new confirmation number.. 15 mins later it was approved, and I was given a reference number to reflect.

The agent seemed very reluctant to validate the claim, if i hadn't have been more assertive I guess the claim would have been denied.

So thanks for the tips all!!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by mitpat474
I have just been on the telephone for 30 mins trying to get my Claim approved.
Glad i read some tips posted earlier in this thread or this would have been denied most likely. I called up having booked a double room with no breakfast and quoted a competing website rate which was cheaper and also included breakfast. I was told by the agent that the rate was found to be cheaper but as my rate did not include breakfast (even though it was higher than the competing rate WITH breakfast) would not be approved. I quickly stated this to her and suggested I would instantly rebook the same room with breakfast and she could then approve that. She stuttered and said that "it still wouldn't be 100% guaranteed". However I insisted and she put me on hold to cancel the current claim then took the new confirmation number.. 15 mins later it was approved, and I was given a reference number to reflect.

The agent seemed very reluctant to validate the claim, if i hadn't have been more assertive I guess the claim would have been denied.

So thanks for the tips all!!
Congrats!
I just got approved for a claim as well.. very quick and easy for a stay on Friday..
I am now looking at my reservation and wanted to purchase Ambassador status... is there anyway to do this and have it applied to this stay?
Or can I purchase it at the front desk of the hotel? (It's an InterContinental property)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
After a claim got approved, I get an updated reservation and the rate description is "BPG Violation". The first night is shown as free so not sure why the rate mentions "violation" though the agent sending it to me said its normal.

Last edited by LonghornDXB; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
The first night is shown as free so not sure why the rate mentions "violation" though the agent sending it to me said its normal.
The hotel violated the BPG policy with the lower rate. Nothing to do with you.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radialjoe
Congrats!
I just got approved for a claim as well.. very quick and easy for a stay on Friday..
I am now looking at my reservation and wanted to purchase Ambassador status... is there anyway to do this and have it applied to this stay?
Or can I purchase it at the front desk of the hotel? (It's an InterContinental property)
Congrats! I remembered that there are threads in the IHG forum saying if it's worth it to purchase the Ambassador status, and I did some research about it because I did score some free nights at ICs.

My conclusion is that it's not worth it - if you want to max. the benefits at ICs - get RA. However you need to be an Ambassador to be a Royal Ambassador.

I saw it somewhere that you can buy the status right at the hotel either using your PC points or $.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
After a claim got approved, I get an updated reservation and the rate description is "BPG Violation". The first night is shown as free so not sure why the rate mentions "violation" though the agent sending it to me said its normal.
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The hotel violated the BPG policy with the lower rate. Nothing to do with you.
I saw it in one of my BRGs too and I was

However once I saw the comment saying 'possible BRG violation' on my check-in documents at when I was checking in for a BRG night in the US. The rate wasn't adjusted at check-in (even though I got confirmation beforehand that it's adjusted). Fortunately it ended up the night was comp. - I brought the email from BRG dept regarding that.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Congrats! I remembered that there are threads in the IHG forum saying if it's worth it to purchase the Ambassador status, and I did some research about it because I did score some free nights at ICs.

My conclusion is that it's not worth it - if you want to max. the benefits at ICs - get RA. However you need to be an Ambassador to be a Royal Ambassador.

I saw it somewhere that you can buy the status right at the hotel either using your PC points or $.

Yeah I was considering getting RA later because I will be travelling to Europe for the summer, but figured I might as well get ambassador now because to keep it renewed won't cost anything..
Thank you for your reply!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Just asking for some general thought on if this is doable in terms of matching room categories

IHG has two room types showing
'Double non smoking' and 'standard'

Competing website has 2 room types showing
'Double standard' and 'twin standard'

Do you think they will match the double

As a side issue this is a HIX, and it is 100% non-smoking and apart from the double or twin, there is no real difference in the rooms but there are sofa beds in some rooms.

I was thinking of booking the standard on the IHG site, and trying to match it with the competing site.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
Just asking for some general thought on if this is doable in terms of matching room categories

As a side issue this is a HIX, and it is 100% non-smoking and apart from the double or twin, there is no real difference in the rooms but there are sofa beds in some rooms.

I was thinking of booking the standard on the IHG site, and trying to match it with the competing site.
It ought to be ok - I would try it if it's a flex rate, and I'll put things like 'all the rooms are the same etc.' in the remarks field.

Of course it depends on how the BRG agent sees it - in previous posts some said they got it and some said they didn't. The big problem is that in the T&C it states so clearly that the room and bed types have to match (some will see it as 'exact' match).
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
It ought to be ok - I would try it if it's a flex rate, and I'll put things like 'all the rooms are the same etc.' in the remarks field.

Of course it depends on how the BRG agent sees it - in previous posts some said they got it and some said they didn't. The big problem is that in the T&C it states so clearly that the room and bed types have to match (some will see it as 'exact' match).
Only thing is that it is an advance purchase rate.

I think I will try and standard on the web site, then comparing to both types of standard on competing site I think *should* be ok.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:14 am

was able to score a free night at IC century city LA... Thanks for all your advice...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Amyrlin

Standard on IHG and "double Standard" on 3rd party should be a match OK, as the 3rd party description is more precise. If it was the other way round it might be a fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.