New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Wiki Link
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 11, 4:17 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: between DCA and BWI
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,650
They really have a strange setup there.

I've had a claim approved more then 3 days ago, but they are still waiting for the hotel to make the rate adjustment . Does anyone know if there is a limit to how long the hotel can take to actually make the adjustment ?

I've tried asking the BRG team, but they seem to be remarkably clueless and couldn't even provide an average time frame. Very friendly, but very clueless...
yevlesh2 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 4:32 am
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,278
Refundable rates

I sort of get the hang of the two rates being for directly comparable products - even if the 3rd party is offering enhanced services. So a "with breakfast" rate from a 3rd party must be compared with the "with breakfast" rate on the PC website.

However I'm not clear about the refundability question. Booking in advance at the cheapest available rate (the primary requirement) inevitably ties you into a non-refundable rate. Third part sites are often more generous, offering as standard a refund until some days before the date of the stay.

There's no specific mention of this in the Terms and Conditions, but the FAQ section offers the following:

Does the lower price have the same rate restrictions?
Similar rate restrictions apply and are determined by whether your rate is refundable or non-refundable. Non-refundable rates cannot be claimed at a lower price with a refundable rate on a third-party Web site.

This seems to impose a condition additional to the T&C. Any insights into how this is applied in practice?
IAN-UK is online now  
Old Sep 29, 11, 5:48 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tyrone,EU
Programs: Avios Hunter
Posts: 2,646
Has anyone categorically determined that a claim will be honoured if

1) IHG site does not have a non-refundable rate, cheapest rate is "best flexible"

2) 3rd party has a significantly cheaper rate, that is non-refundable.

I'm currently seeing a rate for a single night that is 80 cheaper on a 3rd party site. That rate is nonrefundable. IHG does not quote a non-refundable rate, and the cheapest rate is BFR
tangey is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 10:36 am
  #169  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by fstop75 View Post
Data Point: I received the email that states that they have verified the rate and have contacted the hotel to request the stay to be complimentary. That was Monday @ 4:30pm CST. Since then I haven't heard anything.
In case it helps anyone I just received the final confirmation of my BRG request today. From what I have read, It appears that the individual hotels are a big factor in the amount of time it takes to complete the process. Here is the timeline of my claim:

Booked hotel Monday 9/26 @ 2:30pm
Submitted BRG request via online form 9/26 @ 2:45pm
Received initial verification of lower rate 9/26 @ 4:30pm
Received final confirmation 9/29 @ 9:45am

Actual stay is 9/30 - 10/1 = Free night for me!
fstop75 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:43 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York, NY
Programs: The Golden status boy
Posts: 854
Originally Posted by fstop75 View Post
In case it helps anyone I just received the final confirmation of my BRG request today. From what I have read, It appears that the individual hotels are a big factor in the amount of time it takes to complete the process. Here is the timeline of my claim:

Booked hotel Monday 9/26 @ 2:30pm
Submitted BRG request via online form 9/26 @ 2:45pm
Received initial verification of lower rate 9/26 @ 4:30pm
Received final confirmation 9/29 @ 9:45am

Actual stay is 9/30 - 10/1 = Free night for me!
Was there any indication if your would still be responsible for paying taxes on this? When Wyndham had this deal, you did not. But, since you are only getting one free night, I can see it going either way. Taxes are listed as 10% of the rate for my booking. The way I see it, 10% of free is free.
spankytoes is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 3:12 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Munich
Posts: 15
Just wanted to share this information.

I called today to file a Best Price Guarantee claim. I was told on the phone that it is valid and that I will receive confirmation via email.

About 2 hours later I received a confirmation and the information, that they will contact the hotel I am staying at.

As the rate booked includes breakfast and free parking I asked, whether this is still included if I stay for free. I was told that nothing changes and this will still be included.

Since Im staying at the hotel this weekend, hopefully the hotel will confirm everything before my arrival.

Last edited by longjourney; Sep 29, 11 at 3:25 pm
longjourney is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 5:33 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,106
How long does it take...

... for the rate to be adjusted to HOUSE COMP? My first claim was confirmed successful by a reply from the hotel's own reservation department about a week ago and until now still shows ADVANCED PURCHASE. Is this to be adjusted by the hotel or the BRG officer?
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 6:39 pm
  #173  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MUC / VIE
Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Posts: 184
BRG worked for me ^

After 25 hours my claim was approved by email. No problems claiming a non-english website.
asmallworld is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 10:58 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: PC Royal Amb
Posts: 86
Hotel Deposit

For one night free BRG claims when the hotel requires a one night deposit when do you get the deposit back: before or after your stay?
MattGreenfield is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 8:20 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SEA
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
... for the rate to be adjusted to HOUSE COMP? My first claim was confirmed successful by a reply from the hotel's own reservation department about a week ago and until now still shows ADVANCED PURCHASE. Is this to be adjusted by the hotel or the BRG officer?
I've now had 3 valid claims which have not changed to HOUSE COMP after a week. I inquired, and the BRG agent claimed that the hotel is not able to adjust this in the system . He said, however, that it was noted in the reservation that it should be complimentary. I don't see this ending up well.

I'm wondering if he is lying to me / making it up, or if some hotels are able to adjust the rate, and some are not.
BlueDog is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 8:33 am
  #176  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,410
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I sort of get the hang of the two rates being for directly comparable products - even if the 3rd party is offering enhanced services. So a "with breakfast" rate from a 3rd party must be compared with the "with breakfast" rate on the PC website.

However I'm not clear about the refundability question. Booking in advance at the cheapest available rate (the primary requirement) inevitably ties you into a non-refundable rate. Third part sites are often more generous, offering as standard a refund until some days before the date of the stay.

There's no specific mention of this in the Terms and Conditions, but the FAQ section offers the following:

Does the lower price have the same rate restrictions?
Similar rate restrictions apply and are determined by whether your rate is refundable or non-refundable. Non-refundable rates cannot be claimed at a lower price with a refundable rate on a third-party Web site.

This seems to impose a condition additional to the T&C. Any insights into how this is applied in practice?
This is the fundamental problem I am having. I'm not going to book a non-refundable rate on a Best Price Guarantee (nor should anyone else) because I don't want to be hosed if ICH says the lower priced room on another website is somehow different. So I'm only going to compare REFUNDABLE rates -- apples to apples.

Despute the above-quoted language from the Guarantee, ICH has told me that if their non-refundable rate is lower than the other website's refundable rate, no BRG for me! This means that this program is, essentially, a sham, because in 99% of the cases, ICH's advance purchase (non refundable) rates will trump anyone's normal, refundable rates.

An ICH supervisor is supposed to call me back regarding this issue but, as it stands now, the Guarantee is essentially worthless to me. And to pretty much everyone else.
iahphx is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 9:00 am
  #177  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 4,106
Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
I've now had 3 valid claims which have not changed to HOUSE COMP after a week. I inquired, and the BRG agent claimed that the hotel is not able to adjust this in the system . He said, however, that it was noted in the reservation that it should be complimentary. I don't see this ending up well.

I'm wondering if he is lying to me / making it up, or if some hotels are able to adjust the rate, and some are not.
My suspicion is, if you had received a separate confirmation by email from the hotel's own Reservations Officer, then you should be fine.

Why the IC scheme has to be so complex, unlike that of Marriott where the BRG agent themselves can reply and empowered to adjust the rate, is truly beyond me!
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 11:53 am
  #178  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: BOG
Programs: IC Amb, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, EY E+, UA*G, BA Gold
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
I've now had 3 valid claims which have not changed to HOUSE COMP after a week. I inquired, and the BRG agent claimed that the hotel is not able to adjust this in the system . He said, however, that it was noted in the reservation that it should be complimentary. I don't see this ending up well.

I'm wondering if he is lying to me / making it up, or if some hotels are able to adjust the rate, and some are not.
Don't worry, this is not a problem. On many of my claims this has not been done. Either a note is left on the reservation or locally at the hotel.
Errata is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 1:04 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 450
I had a claim for a trip from 1 October to 3 October. The claim was made and verified over the phone at around 9pm EDT on 26 September. However, I haven't received any further reply from BRG service team yet.

I am wondering if I should cancel the booking and rebook a room at a lower rate. I may rather stay in a room of lower class for two nights, but not to risk paying a double for the deluxe room (assuming the best price guarantee fails despite its verification on 26 September). What do you think?

For your information, the deadline for cancelling my booking with no penalty is 6pm PDT (9pm EDT) tonight.
samwkchan is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 3:32 pm
  #180  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,410
I just had an interesting conversation with a BRG supervisor about my complaint that they rejected my flexible rate BRG claim by arguing that they had a cheaper no-cancellation rate.

She says they will make a one-time exception for me and honor the BRG, but that "corporate" was now considering what their ultimate rule on this will be.

Obviously, it makes all the difference, since almost no one is going to book a BRG if it can, effectively, be only on a non-refundable rate.

I know it's hard to give away rooms for nothing. I'd really prefer if they'd just give you half-off the rate you find and be reasonable and fair in their BRG promise. That would be a win-win for everybody.
iahphx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: