Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Asiana Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:49 am

Thanks. That agrees with the latest info I got when I e-mailed the hotel.

I am the opposite- I never skip breakfast and find that increasingly it is becoming an important part of my travel experience as much or more so than the facility or service. That may not be rational but it is what it is. I want to be wowed and have abundant and high quality food and drink. And for around $50 (for a couple, when you add in taxes) for just breakfast or around $80 for lounge access + 25k, it's not such a compelling redemption for me. Those are big $ numbers in Vietnam, and it's not so hard to find five star hotels w breakfast included for around $100-$120. I am now leaning towards skipping the IC (or just staying there one night) and staying most of my time at the Renaissance Riverside where you can get a club room for 30k points and be well fed and well-hydrated :-). IC is a nicer property I am sure but value proposition is not great. Too bad IC doesn't allow award redemption of club rooms (or better yet access for Plats)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gil123
Thanks. That agrees with the latest info I got when I e-mailed the hotel.

I am the opposite- I never skip breakfast and find that increasingly it is becoming an important part of my travel experience as much or more so than the facility or service. That may not be rational but it is what it is. I want to be wowed and have abundant and high quality food and drink. And for around $50 (for a couple, when you add in taxes) for just breakfast or around $80 for lounge access + 25k, it's not such a compelling redemption for me. Those are big $ numbers in Vietnam, and it's not so hard to find five star hotels w breakfast included for around $100-$120. I am now leaning towards skipping the IC (or just staying there one night) and staying most of my time at the Renaissance Riverside where you can get a club room for 30k points and be well fed and well-hydrated :-). IC is a nicer property I am sure but value proposition is not great. Too bad IC doesn't allow award redemption of club rooms (or better yet access for Plats)
Except the IC Club Lounge offering is superior to a Renaissance, Marriott, Hilton offering and that has to be funded.

That IC Lounge funding is paid for by the guests using the Lounge and either paid in room rate of clubroom or an upsell.

IHG Spire/Platinum only counts for free internet and points bonus at an IC. Even the Ambassadors who pay a yearly fee to be an elite in the IC's Loyalty Program yearly don't get foc lounge.

Why is it Spires/Platinums having decided to spend points on an IC, then want benefits on the award night at the IC, such as upgrade, lounge, that they don't even always get at an HI/CP etc on a paid stay.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:19 pm

Because as a Hyatt and Hilton Diamond I get it for free. So they have raised the bar on my expectations. But I am not making the case that IHG lounge access should be an entitlement. Every chain and hotel has their own rules- but I find the value proposition goes down when there is so little included.

Just saying that in an inexpensive city like HCM (average monthly wage is about $150) , I am too cheap to willingly shell out fifty bucks for a breakfast if I can help it.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gil123
Because as a Hyatt and Hilton Diamond I get it for free. So they have raised the bar on my expectations. But I am not making the case that IHG lounge access should be an entitlement. Every chain and hotel has their own rules- but I find the value proposition goes down when there is so little included.

Just saying that in an inexpensive city like HCM (average monthly wage is about $150) , I am too cheap to willingly shell out fifty bucks for a breakfast if I can help it.
I can understand that but remember, with the IC you are guaranteed (assuming you book it, regardless of points or cash) the residence with a miniumum 830 sq ft apartment which, as far as I can see, you can't get at the Ren or Hilton.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Just spent 3 nights at HCMC 2 at Asiana Saigon on a paid club room upgraded to Exec suite as IC ambassador , Everything at the hotel was amazing . The third night decided to move to the residences . Note that they are run as 2 completely separate businesses . Booked on points I got no upgrade even though the check in receipt said 2 bed apartment . I walked into a 1 bed apartment with no daylight due to the new building opposite . My light isnt a problem but constant construction noise was . I complained and they said there were no other rooms . So I said move me or comp me or I walk . Suddenly I had the choice of a 2 bed and a 3 bed apt . Both still had bedrooms that faced the construction but 1 had a bedroom not directly facing so I accepted that . I would not recommend the residences at any cost as 50% of the rooms face very noisy construction and the best quiet rooms go to long term residents . The hotel is much preferred . My first 2 days I heard no noise . YMMV
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by crombiestone
Just spent 3 nights at HCMC 2 at Asiana Saigon on a paid club room upgraded to Exec suite as IC ambassador , Everything at the hotel was amazing . The third night decided to move to the residences . Note that they are run as 2 completely separate businesses . Booked on points I got no upgrade even though the check in receipt said 2 bed apartment . I walked into a 1 bed apartment with no daylight due to the new building opposite . My light isnt a problem but constant construction noise was . I complained and they said there were no other rooms . So I said move me or comp me or I walk . Suddenly I had the choice of a 2 bed and a 3 bed apt . Both still had bedrooms that faced the construction but 1 had a bedroom not directly facing so I accepted that . I would not recommend the residences at any cost as 50% of the rooms face very noisy construction and the best quiet rooms go to long term residents . The hotel is much preferred . My first 2 days I heard no noise . YMMV
Yea, the "German house" being build next door is a catastrophic for IC Residence. As you said, they have moved most of their long-term tenants to appartement facing the river, as no one wants to pay 4-5K USD+++/month to live in a place with constant construction noise and no view.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
What would the upgrade look like from a Deluxe Corner Suite at the hotel?

The last time I stayed there, I think I booked a club room and got upgraded to a Deluxe Suite or even Deluxe Corner Suite on the club floor (19, IIRC). This time it wasn't much more $$$, so I just booked the Deluxe Corner Suite. Wondering if an upgrade from that level is even possible, or did I basically book into the top level, leaving myself no room to upgrade?

I'm a Spire Ambassador, FWIW. I'm asking in anticipation of two separate one-night stays on weekend nights in October.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What would the upgrade look like from a Deluxe Corner Suite at the hotel?

The last time I stayed there, I think I booked a club room and got upgraded to a Deluxe Suite or even Deluxe Corner Suite on the club floor (19, IIRC). This time it wasn't much more $$$, so I just booked the Deluxe Corner Suite. Wondering if an upgrade from that level is even possible, or did I basically book into the top level, leaving myself no room to upgrade?

I'm a Spire Ambassador, FWIW. I'm asking in anticipation of two separate one-night stays on weekend nights in October.
You will most likely get an Executive suite, if there is anyone available. I doubt they will upgrade a non-RA to the President Suite.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:12 pm

Looks like they have a new GM and things changed to the worse.

Service in the club lounge is still friendly and very personal. But the offerings at Happy Hour have changed significantly. Now they only have 3 hot dishes and 3 appetizers (before it was more than double) and they are extremely slow in refilling. At times there was none of the dishes available - with the consequence when they brought out something everybody jumped on it and it was gone withing seconds. High Tea was still similar to before.

They also changed their upgrade policy. Before as an RA you got suite plus club from the cheapest room. No more.

It is still a nice hotel with good service, but hopefully this cost cutting will not continue. I will leave some more information in the RA thread about their new upgrade policy.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:27 pm

with non-IHG alternatives being not my favorites (would like the Park Hyatt but don't have status), I am thinking to stay at IC Asiana for an upcoming trip with friends as my past experiences have been quite good.

as spire ambassador, if booking the residences, will the property upgrade?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by nvoi
as spire ambassador, if booking the residences, will the property upgrade?
Most likely not. To my knowledge they don't really do upgrades at the Residence, as it's different rules that applies there.

I once stayed 3 weeks at the Residence (as a RA) and didn't get any upgrade nor qualifying nights for the stay (this was according to IHG rules I was told). The hotel compensated me in a different way though, so I was still very happy.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I had a three night stay at the Residences last month and was very impressed.

The stay was booked on points with the first night from my wife's account and two nights from my account. Having read some poor reviews regarding the building work, this gave us the option to check out after one night if we were not happy and cancel the two night booking.

We booked and received a one bedroom apartment as expected, but as part of the Amb welcome the agent put us on a high floor (20th) with a view, and also gave us each a welcome gift - a set of lacquered coasters. We were offered access to the hotel club lounge at $70 per night which was declined. $70 is far better value when spent out and about in HCMC

The apartment was huge with a great city view and the river in the distance, and unless you are travelling with kids an upgrade two bed apartment would seem unnecessary. The only fault is the absence of any seating on the balcony.

I've booked to stay again in August.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
The only fault is the absence of any seating on the balcony.
They do have (or at least used to have), some patio furniture stored down in the basement. I have requested it a couple of times, and had a small table + two chairs placed on the balcony. Can't say for sure if they are willing to do it on a short stay of just a couple of nights, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: N/A
Can anyone compare this property vs the Park Hyatt in regards to the hard product, service, etc?

The Park Hyatt would be about $75 more per night but am a platinum at Hyatt.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Can anyone compare this property vs the Park Hyatt in regards to the hard product, service, etc?

The Park Hyatt would be about $75 more per night but am a platinum at Hyatt.

Thanks!
Park Hyatt is a nicer looking hotel. Pool is swankier. Gym is nicer. Food is more refined. The bar is cooler. Rooms are more up to date.

But it these differences are marginal. I was very happy with both If it were me I'd save the $$ unless it was an occasion of sorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.