Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Asiana Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by airmotive
I was just there (hotel, not residence) on Friday for an overnight before catching a flight home (along with several hundred Secret Service!)

It's a decent pool for escape purposes (especially if it's really hot and humid). The club lounge makes for a nice breakfast away from the crowds, and the lounge staff is really good about spending extra time with you to answer any questions you may have about the country and city. That alone made paying for lounge access worth it.
Did you notice any secret service or odd behavior at the hotel? When I stayed in the Presidential Suite in March I was told that is where President Obama would be staying during his visit to Saigon.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Did you notice any secret service or odd behavior at the hotel? When I stayed in the Presidential Suite in March I was told that is where President Obama would be staying during his visit to Saigon.
Would be an interesting thought that Obama was sleeping in the same bed as my baby daughter puked all over - But did he in fact sleep at the IC? I heard it was John Kerry that stayed there and that Obama was at Park Hyatt a few blocks down the road, but there are so many rumors all over town right now so who knows.

I had dinner at IC last night and things were pretty normal, except for all the Secret Service agents that have been around for several days.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Actually, yes.
I think they give all SS guys a frontal lobotomy when they graduate. Zero personality. The one female agent I talked to had personality, and even laughed when I joked about her being the first one I've talked to without lobotomy scars. (But even she said "I don't know anything about any secret service presence." when I mentioned all the cables duct-taped to the floor just outside the elevator door on the 17th floor, which she had to step over to leave the elevator.)
All the guys were fed the same line. I asked about all the Americans at the hotel (at the time, I didn't know Obama was coming to town). I had only seen two other Americans in the previous 10 days. Now all of a sudden there were a hundred+ 25-35 year-old men (and one woman) all over this hotel. During elevator rides, I mentioned to several of the guys that there were a lot of Americans here today. All of them said the same answer, "Yes. Vietnam is a popular vacation destination."
Not that I would expect them to lay out all their security details, but for all of them to pretend they were just a bunch of guys with nothing in common who all happened to pick HCM for vacation that weekend was absurd. And every single one of them stuck to it, with zero expression.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by aulrik
Would be an interesting thought that Obama was sleeping in the same bed as my baby daughter puked all over
I didn't need to know that.

Originally Posted by airmotive
Actually, yes.
I think they give all SS guys a frontal lobotomy when they graduate. Zero personality. The one female agent I talked to had personality, and even laughed when I joked about her being the first one I've talked to without lobotomy scars. (But even she said "I don't know anything about any secret service presence." when I mentioned all the cables duct-taped to the floor just outside the elevator door on the 17th floor, which she had to step over to leave the elevator.)
All the guys were fed the same line. I asked about all the Americans at the hotel (at the time, I didn't know Obama was coming to town). I had only seen two other Americans in the previous 10 days. Now all of a sudden there were a hundred+ 25-35 year-old men (and one woman) all over this hotel. During elevator rides, I mentioned to several of the guys that there were a lot of Americans here today. All of them said the same answer, "Yes. Vietnam is a popular vacation destination."
Not that I would expect them to lay out all their security details, but for all of them to pretend they were just a bunch of guys with nothing in common who all happened to pick HCM for vacation that weekend was absurd. And every single one of them stuck to it, with zero expression.
Evidently he did stay in the Presidential Suite at this hotel. It's weird to think I stayed in the same room not too long ago.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I didn't need to know that.

Evidently he did stay in the Presidential Suite at this hotel. It's weird to think I stayed in the same room not too long ago.
Did you book the Pres Suite upfront? As IC HCMC excludes this suite from RA/Amb upgrades ?

I'm still waiting to get lucky here at this IC for this suite despite multiple stays.

Last edited by scubaccr; May 25, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old May 25, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Did you book the Pres Suite upfront? As IC HCMC excludes this suite from RA/Amb upgrades ?
No I booked an Executive Suite which is the category just below it. The hotel manager explained that the Presidential Suite was excluded from the upgrade policy. He made a one-time exception that allowed me to be upgraded to it with a supplemental cash upgrade fee per night. I also booked the connecting room to the Presidential Suite which made the suite even larger and added two more beds.

But it was a difficult task getting management to approve the upgrade from Exec to Pres. I assume it will be even more difficult now that they can say Pres. Obama stayed there.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
What do hotel car transfers from Tan Son Nhat Airport (SGN) to the hotel run, all-in?

A comfortable car ride after a very long day of flying would be nice. But trying to figure out if worth it. IIRC, a transfer by taxi cost about $8 one-way.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What do hotel car transfers from Tan Son Nhat Airport (SGN) to the hotel run, all-in?

A comfortable car ride after a very long day of flying would be nice. But trying to figure out if worth it. IIRC, a transfer by taxi cost about $8 one-way.
I cannot answer your question, since we usually take a regular Taxi. Take a seven seater SUV, they are quite comfortable. If only small taxi's in the queue show 5 fingers of one hand and two of the other (for seven seater) and they will tell you where to wait.
I have seen people beeing picket up by the hotel Mercedes, but they need to park somewhere else and bring the car in. That most likely means a longer wait.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:08 am

Last time I did it, it was just around U$80 one-way.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:22 pm

I did it back in March and it was about $67 one-way. Definitely not worth it given the length of the drive. You can take a taxi for around $10 one-way, just make sure the driver runs the meter and doesn't request a flat fee instead. Save the money and use it towards club access or something.

FWIW, I was with a group of 6 so we were picked up in a Mercedes Sprinter van. But the price is still the same for a sedan pick-up.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:05 am

I did it back in March and it was about $67 one-way. Definitely not worth it given the length of the drive. You can take a taxi for around $10 one-way, just make sure the driver runs the meter and doesn't request a flat fee instead. Save the money and use it towards club access or something.
I agree! Unfortunately there is no real taxi line at the International arrival at SGN, and the taxi companies prioritize customers with a taxi card, so during peak hours it can be a bit of a hassle and the waiting time can be well above 30 min. I recommend buying a taxi coupon from one of the booths inside the terminal. It will cost you 2-3U$ more, but you get first in line outside. From the airport to IC you should pay just around 220.000VND. Don't let the driver fool you into paying any additional airport fee or anything else.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Does anyone know if James Young is still the GM here? Met him before when he was posted at various other hotels, due to be staying there soon so might see if I can meet him again if he's still there.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:05 pm

Am considering an award stay and have only Platinum Status. Am I correct that I have no chance of lounge access and little chance of an upgrade- but that they offer a discounted package for lounge access? I called the hotel and they said it is $70 a night but I read on TA some people were paying $35 or $45 (that would be more likely worth it for me than $70). Anyone been there recently and know the correct charge for Plats?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aulrik
I agree! Unfortunately there is no real taxi line at the International arrival at SGN, and the taxi companies prioritize customers with a taxi card, so during peak hours it can be a bit of a hassle and the waiting time can be well above 30 min. I recommend buying a taxi coupon from one of the booths inside the terminal. It will cost you 2-3U$ more, but you get first in line outside. From the airport to IC you should pay just around 220.000VND. Don't let the driver fool you into paying any additional airport fee or anything else.
I go directly to the uniformed agent for Vinasun or Mai Linh (far to the left when you exit the terminal), ignoring all other entreaties, and tell the agent where you're going. The most I've ever waited is about 5 minutes, and the driver has never cheated me.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gil123
Am considering an award stay and have only Platinum Status. Am I correct that I have no chance of lounge access and little chance of an upgrade- but that they offer a discounted package for lounge access? I called the hotel and they said it is $70 a night but I read on TA some people were paying $35 or $45 (that would be more likely worth it for me than $70). Anyone been there recently and know the correct charge for Plats?
I was just there last week and took an Uber Black from the airport. It cost me 129,000 VND and I was picked up in a brand new Toyota Camry. Couldn't have been happier with the experience.

I was also offered the $70 for club access or $18 for breakfast only. Declined both as I was doing a food tour and I usually skip breakfast in general. $70 can go a long way for both lunch and dinner combined in HCMC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.