Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Prague Master Thread [merged] - left IHG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I have to give the hotel credit for responding so quickly to my query. This is the email i received:

----------
Dear

Thank you for contacting our reservations department.

Regarding your question about the change of brand in our hotel, I would like to confirm that as of May 1st 2020,

the InterContinental Hotel Prague will change brand affiliation and name to become the Golden Prague Hotel, a Fairmont managed property.

The owning company of the hotel made this announcement publicly in Prague on November 13th together with representatives of Fairmont Hotels and Accor.

The hotel team is taking every step to ensure there is a smooth transition between brands and our guests continue to enjoy the same fine hospitality the property has been known

for the last 45 years and in principle we will honour all conditions you have received confirmation for when you made your reservation except the points.

To clarify further please see below the answers to your questions:

- as i booked a prepaid non refundable rate will my reservation still be valid? – Yes we are honouring all reservations

- will the present booking change in cost? – No , your reservation is fixed as it was booked

- will the club lounge still be available and included in my reservation?- All benefits apply as per your booking

- as i booked this reservation under the guise that IHG Royal Ambassador benefits would be applicable, are those benefits still being honored when the hotel changes management? All benefits apply as per your booking

- with my current booking, i would earn valuable points which aids me in requalifying for the Royal Ambassador status, is this negated when the hotel transits to Fairmont? No, this is not something we can confirm at the moment.

If we can assist with anything else please do let us know.

Warm regards
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Like a number of ICs overseas they are tired & dated and in need of renovations
Sad that they have to turn into other brands
Only overseas? The largest numer of tired and dated ICs is in the US, the lowest number of tired and dated IC in in China
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:05 am
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
I have never stayed in a Fairmont before. Is it any good?
My main concern is that the room price will increase, the clublounge will disappear and the IC staff will not be there anymore when it becomes a Fairmont. Jiri is gold, it would be a great loss for the hotel if he has to leave.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:06 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B42
I have never stayed in a Fairmont before. Is it any good?
My main concern is that the room price will increase, the clublounge will disappear and the IC staff will not be there anymore when it becomes a Fairmont. Jiri is gold, it would be a great loss for the hotel if he has to leave.
Fairmont has some great properties
Pretty much what you state is likely to happen room rate increases,overpricing,lack of recognition nickle and dime on each and everything etc
Hopefully they will at least update the property
One of the many reasons brands change as they frequently believe another program/ hotel brand will increase pricing power ROI
I like many of Accor's premium hotels Fairmont Swissotel however between a lackluster unrewarding program and a bad business culture I avoid
almost all of the time for the more generous programs with guest friendly policies for loyal customers
Sad as I would like to be their customer but they can't seem to get there with elite recognition,rewards or the ability to build strong relationships
B42 likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 4, 2020 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Only overseas? The largest numer of tired and dated ICs is in the US, the lowest number of tired and dated IC in in China
Never said they don't have dated properties elsewhere but the ones in Europe standout especially like Budapest etc.
San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles and even the tired Times Square property work pretty well for me in the fully acceptable satisfactory range.
Those are some of my go to properties though there is immense competition
Try and forget some of the others like Chicago and the horrible Dallas area property and some others
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:47 am

Extremely odd choice by Fairmont. The IC building was well known (mainly by IC themselves) to be a nightmare to modify.

The skeleton is classic soviet era and very very tough to change. Is why rooms and bathrooms and layout have been so fixed forever ... it was just too complex and expensive to do. And their occupancy and margin was always too good to warrant doing anything.

Is also why the lounge looks like a couple of mid range rooms glued together ... because that's what it was.

IC Prague staff have always been good but they know they have a poison chalice there in architectural terms ... certainly not in location and motivation.

Fairmont will have to level it to make anything useful and yet would they be allowed to do that. Not sure.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Second that....night and day
Unterwegs likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:10 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Extremely odd choice by Fairmont. The IC building was well known (mainly by IC themselves) to be a nightmare to modify.

The skeleton is classic soviet era and very very tough to change. Is why rooms and bathrooms and layout have been so fixed forever ... it was just too complex and expensive to do. And their occupancy and margin was always too good to warrant doing anything.

Is also why the lounge looks like a couple of mid range rooms glued together ... because that's what it was.

IC Prague staff have always been good but they know they have a poison chalice there in architectural terms ... certainly not in location and motivation.

Fairmont will have to level it to make anything useful and yet would they be allowed to do that. Not sure.
If it is a management contract (which I assume) and not ownership any renovations would be up to the current ownership in like with any brand guidelines from Fairmont. Given their portfolio of old railway hotels I suspect their guidelines are broad enough to handle this concrete pile. I know some of the rooms I have had at Fairmonts were downright odd.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
If it is a management contract (which I assume) and not ownership any renovations would be up to the current ownership in like with any brand guidelines from Fairmont. Given their portfolio of old railway hotels I suspect their guidelines are broad enough to handle this concrete pile. I know some of the rooms I have had at Fairmonts were downright odd.
Is a good point, they owned less and less these days. And that makes it even stranger.

From what I was led to believe it's less the concrete than the mountain of over spec'ed but under quality steel sitting under that concrete that's the problem. Not insurmountable but costly hard work.

It's only from memory but I'm sure I was told there was (hard to believe) some form of preservation order on the building. Shame as historical record aside, flattening it and making a purpose designed building would allow a huge improvement in layout. And of course the location itself is priceless.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Atacama40

demolish & rebuild?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:01 am
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
Thank you for your quick reply, you have helped me a lot
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
demolish & rebuild?
The most practical one would have thought but I do believe there is a restriction on that. That soviet era building in and around town now (in the main) has preservation orders on so I'm told by those in the know.

But yes would agree
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Hotel is not on the IHG website anymore and has left the IHG group.

For those who want to keep staying here, here is the new website
https://www.goldenpraguehotel.com

(Hotel is closed at the moment anyway)
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sad news but I find Fairmont and IC largely equivalent in terms of service and amenities so maybe no diff except I can’t use my BOGO here again. I certainly hope they don’t flatten it as I like the older style rooms, quirks and all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.