Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Phnom Penh Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by lf tom
I won't bother to respond to the ad hominem attack.
Suffice it to say if your idea of a good time is coming face to face with 8,000 skulls, then PP is for you. Enjoy. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...vcambodia.html
You're a real expert on PP after visiting Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields and spending 2 days locked in your hotel room, huh?

How about you stick to giving advice on what you know. If you actually want to make friends, learn Khmer culture, and have some good food for cheap then Phnom Penh is a pretty great place to hang out.

I went there a few years ago as part of a lone SE Asia adventure and spent way more time there than I thought I would because it was so easy to meet people. It's a relatively small city, compared to places like Bangkok and Saigon, so it's easy to learn your way around and is more intimate.

I don't know how you travel, but it sounds like you should try to get off the beaten path a bit more and explore - I've gone back to visit friends there every year since and it's been some of the most memorable times of my life. Going into remote Angkorian ruins for Khmer New Year and dancing, drinking and laughing with the locals is something that sticks with you. When you're the only white person you see for days at a time, you know you're actually experiencing a culture. Word of warning though, everybody wants to dance with the white guy (my Aspara is terrible, which only makes them want to dance with -and laugh at- me more).

The Khmer people have bounced back from relatively recent atrocity to become a warm and open people and it should be applauded. If you don't take away anything from a visit other than a pile of bones then you're doing it wrong.

Side Note: the IC PP is basically in the middle of nowhere. You will end up taking Tuk Tuks or motos to get to any restaurants, clubs, riverside for a walk, tourist attractions, etc. Transport's relatively cheap, but it will add up, especially if you want to grab a couple showers during the day to freshen up from the heat.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by iFlip23
I'm seriously tempted with the IC in PP for a long weekend.

Can anyone recommend the property for that price? Any chance of upgrade on PB as Plat AMB?
I'd certainly recommend PNH as a destination, though (depending where you are based) it might be a pity to spend the time and $ getting there without seeing more of the country. Some sad visitor suggests the only thing to do in the city is to visit the killing fields: of course that's rubbish.

As for the IC, I really like the hotel, but it's not much of a "destination" in itself. The big let-down is its location. Fine for a work visit, but less convenient for a leisure trip.

Unless you are happy mooching around nondescript streets and shops you're going to be negotiating rides into the more interesting parts of the city two or three times a day. The rides aren't going to break the bank, but they lend to the sense of isolation.

The IC isn't normally an expensive place in $ or points, and there are many less expensive hotels in better positions. So I wouldn't be attracted there by a PB, but i'd be happy to take advantage of the PB if i were visiting the city anyway. If that makes sense!

I think there's zero chance of the lounge (and it's a nice one) on a PB Ambassador stay.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Plus we have a master thread on this hotel. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Some sad visitor suggests the only thing to do in the city is to visit the killing fields: of course that's rubbish.
Indeed. By all means also catch Toul Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21), a former high school turned torture center by the Khmer Rouge is open for visitors to view the gruesome torture techniques employed by the regime between 1975 and 1979.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 28, 2015 at 7:36 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
[...]

As for the IC, I really like the hotel, but it's not much of a "destination" in itself. The big let-down is its location. Fine for a work visit, but less convenient for a leisure trip.

[...]

I think there's zero chance of the lounge (and it's a nice one) on a PB Ambassador stay.
I think the hotel's location can be interesting. But it is extremely off the beaten track. Walking around the area gives, in my opinion, a great impressions of the city's everyday live - totally off the tourist track. It's not "Khaosan Road" and that's good. Of course, this means that some kind of transport to the tourist spots is necessary.

In regards to safety in Cambodia ... every trip to the US is more dangerous.

The hotel is, in my experience, willing to sell up to club for (very) good value.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
PointBreak stay end of March for one week. Ambassador upgrade options? Options to/from airport -- 11pm arrival & 11pm departure? Value (price) for club upgrade? Value for breakfast upgrade? Thanks so much.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
For those visiting PP/Cambodia for the Point Break (or in general) I would really urge them to take a couple of days and visit Siem Reap / Angkor Wat. You can fly or take a bus from PP.
While PP is an okay city (by the way perfectly safe) - it's not a tourist hotspot. Nevertheless there are a few must-sees; Killing fields and Genocide museum are an absolute must to visit and to learn about the (sad) history of the country. I am normally not a big fan of audio tours, but I must say the audio tour at the killing fields is very well made. PP also has plenty of great restaurants, markets, etc.

I also booked a one day bicycle tour through Grasshopper (http://grasshopperadventures.com/), which takes you outside the city through villages, temples, etc. absolutely worth doing.

Originally Posted by lf tom
Seriously, what will you do for eight nights in PP? I spent two nights there a few years ago, and when my guide dropped me at the hotel, he advised me to stay there till our next scheduled meeting.
Having traveled the world, I recently gave a speech on the worst places on the planet. I ranked PP 2d worst, after Auschwitz. Hard to grab a big lunch after an excursion to the Killing Fields!
If you measure places in the world based on being able to have a big lunch after visiting a significant historical sight I think you're probably better off staying at Disneyland.
Both places you mention are very impressive destinations - and while they might not give you that 'feel-good' factor you're looking for, don't you think it's important to learn about (recent) history of a country you're visiting, rather than locking yourself in the club lounge?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to returning to PP at the end of the month thanks to Point Breaks making a side trip from Siem Reap worthwhile.

I echo the comments that the Khmer people are very friendly. Shame about the haters suggesting we shouldn't do our little bit to support them and try to understand their tragic history.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great Point Breaks deal. IHG Gold Member upgraded to a Junior Suite. (instead of the expected closet sized room near the lift)

Offered a $55 (+ tax I think) upsell for Club Access which we decided to accept since there are two of us.

Nice selection of wines, beers and spirits. Food (6-8pm, although they left it out for late arrivals) is more snack than meal. (canapes, etc.)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Stayed 2 nights in Dec 2014, great hotel. Did not visit the killing fields, but found the wats and markets great.

arrived by river from vietnam, then headed by car to Battambang, then Siem Reap.

Locals very friendly, felt very safe as a solo traveller.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full list of Club benefits.

Breakfast 6.30-10.30
Afternoon Tea (with sandwiches) 15:00-17:00
Evening Canapes / Drinks 18:00-20:00
Juice, Water, Soft Drinks available all day
3 complimentary items per day of express laundry. (cannot accumulate various days allowance into one)
1 hour per day usage of the Executive Boardroom
16:00 check-out

Club is nice. Staff are friendly. Nice selection of wines and spirits, although the sparkling wine is Australian.

In addition to the limited breakfast buffet in the club lounge, there is a decent list of cooked breakfasts that can be ordered (basically from room service) and brought to the lounge. It can take awhile though.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Friday to Friday, 8 night stay (currently). Booked 8 night PointBreak stay King non smoking. Staff noted at check in no benefits due to PointBreak / award stay. A paid stay might have resulted in an upgrade to a jr. suite or a suite but otherwise no loss due to PointBreak / award stay. $55 club up sell offered. High floor with view of the street excellent options despite street noise. Empty refrigerator in room (no mini bar) but drinks a plenty via room service. $5 Coke Zero via room service. $1 Coke Zero via convenience store. The concierge could not locate a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel (within walking distance of the hotel is not intended for walking). Caution with food and drink is advisable (don't drink the water). Walking is the preferred mode of travel within a city personally and explored the area on foot extensively day and night without issue. The options for room service are much better than expected both quality and price. The Asian dishes such as the Kroeng Prawns @ $10 are amazing. The not so Asian dishes such as the Eggs Benedict @ $10 are not so amazing. The room service coordination is a bit frustrating as the staff answering the call will delay the order in an attempt to find an English speaking staff member. A week in Phnom Penh is a extended visit due to the heat and sun. TV options better than average. Excellent experience with staff including security, door man, house keeping, evening turn down, room service, etc.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; Mar 30, 2015 at 4:22 am
Old May 1, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Staying here for the first of four nights on pointsbreak, I have to say that I'm positivly surprised about the hotel. Form the outside it looks terrible, but inside everything is fine, of course a bit dated but well maintained.
Before the stay I wrote to the hotel about the price for upsell to Club, which they answered is 35US$ a night. At arrival they said it's 55US$, showing the email they were very surpriced, but gave me the lower price. Beside this no ambassador upgrade at award stay was given, but fruits and chocolate, a gift and of course water.
The Club Lounge is very small and quiet, incredible helpful and friendly staff. Nice evening spread with some hot and cold choices, including "Schwarzbrot"(dark bread) which is for me worth more than anything else after staying some month in Asia .At breakfast I was the only one at the Club. You can order from egg menu and there is a big selection of fruits, breads, yogurt, cheese, etc. Totally fine for me.
Phnom Penh is not developed very well, first I was a bit shocked. But if you go out with a smile all people are extremly friendly to you. I really like it by now.

BR FC
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So, I am planning 3 nights, arrive May 2- 5. Will we be able to see Ankor Wat as well.

Planning to stay at the IC on a paid stay.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So, I am planning 3 nights, arrive May 2- 5. Will we be able to see Ankor Wat as well.

Planning to stay at the IC on a paid stay.
You need travel to Siem Reep for that and need a full day there

Some boats , some buses do cover this route but we are talking 1/2 day travel each way (8hours), though you can fly between the two cities with multiple flights per day

You probably want/need to stay overnight in Siem Reep whilst keeping the IC room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.