Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Phnom Penh Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Yeah 4 USD is a total rip-off. The beer at riverside is now also >4 USD. Tourists have spoilt them...
What would be a good price for a tuk tuk to the riverside?

and is $9 bucks for a cab worthwhile from the airport to the IC?

Heading over to phnom penh this saturday.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by tycosiao
What would be a good price for a tuk tuk to the riverside?

and is $9 bucks for a cab worthwhile from the airport to the IC?

Heading over to phnom penh this saturday.
They won't take a foreigner for less than 3 or 4 USD IC <--> riverside, and probably first give you a price around 6 to 8 USD that you need to haggle down.

Cab and tuk tuks at the airport are fixed price - you need to buy a voucher before leaving the arrival hall (can't miss). The hotel offers a car (Toyota) for 20 USD. Taxis seem fine; I've so far always opted for an arranged transfer, though.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Feb 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
They won't take a foreigner for less than 3 or 4 USD IC <--> riverside, and probably first give you a price around 6 to 8 USD that you need to haggle down.

Cab and tuk tuks at the airport are fixed price - you need to buy a voucher before leaving the arrival hall (can't miss). The hotel offers a car (Toyota) for 20 USD. Taxis seem fine; I've so far always opted for an arranged transfer, though.
Thanks. Would crossing the street to be further away from the IC bring down the price for the tuk tuk from IC - riverside?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
You just take one of the motorbike guys. Was a dollar or two when I was there last time. Probably going back sometime this spring.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:44 am

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I don't find a tuk-tuk ride in the traffic and fumes of Phnom Penh that much fun. And as for it being a city worth visiting, well, I'll take Vientiane (or Siem Riep or Luang Prabang) any time over Phnom Penh. I enjoyed my first visit there a couple of years ago, but I was just there a few weeks ago (second visit) and I promised myself that, if I want to see the Angkor temples a third time (and they're well worth it), I'll fly directly into REP from BKK or KUL and skip PNH altogether. YMMV, I guess...

As for airport transportation, a taxi is only a couple of bucks more than a tuk-tuk, and your lungs will thank you for it. I didn't use the overpriced hotel service; for half the price (including driver tip) I had a comfortable and clean aircon taxi. You'll find a few taxi services advertised in the phone book; one specifically advertises English-speaking drivers. I forget the company's name at the moment, but that's the one we called and we were happy with the service.

The IC has now a free shuttle service which stops at the Russian market, the central market, and the riverside. It runs about 3-4x day, but it's a nice alternative to a tuk-tuk if the schedule works for you.

Anyway, getting pretty OT here...

Last edited by honu; Mar 2, 2012 at 3:51 am Reason: additional info
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by honu
Well, I'm in the minority here, but I don't find a tuk-tuk ride in the traffic and fumes of Phnom Penh that much fun. And as for it being a city worth visiting, well, I'll take Vientiane (or Siem Riep or Luang Prabang) any time over Phnom Penh. [...]
Too many Lonley Planet hordes for my taste. Nice, fairly unspoilt places are around Kep/Kampot and up to Koh Kong. Battembang doesn't see many tourists either, but is a really beautiful town.

And I think many people don't like PNH - pollution, traffic, riverside touts.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I realize the IC PP may be a steal at 5,000 points but don't you all think that all this discussion about this property is best suited for another thread?
I've notified a mod...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
I was in PNH about 4-5 years ago due to a mistake fare out of LAX (LAX-PNH rt) for about $300. I was there for 3 days and loved it. Stayed at IC. I've done lots of rough-backpacking in my day (mostly eastern Europe and many countries in Africa), but now that I am older, fatter, and have achy bones, I enjoy finer hotels but still have that adventurous side in me and PNH fit the bill nicely for that. I'm also a bit of a cheapskate and PNH fit well within my budget.

I am thinking of returning next week for about 7 days on the PB deal at the IC. I have already visited the Riverfront, S21 Prison, the Killing Fields, and Wat Phnom. Is it necessary that I visit them again? Probably not, but I found all of the places very interesting, especially the S21 Prison, which was quite moving. One of the best things I remember was hiring a tuk tuk for the day (maybe $10-15 for the day) and I told him to take me to some local places, where he would go for lunch, etc... he took me to some out of the way roadside restaurants for drinks and eats (almost like someone's home along the side of the road). I remember sipping some sort of cane sugar "juice" from a bag and was allowed to make it myself when I had a second. Zipping in and out of traffic. These are the memories I will always remember.

I enjoyed the IC last time, I especially remembered the fantastic breakfast spread. Although it is expensive by Cambodian standards, it is not by Western standards.

If I go this coming week, I think I may go to the coast Kem Pot, Snooky, etc... for a few days. I may also look at a cooking school.

For 5K points per night at the IC is a bargain IMHO.

Cheers

Last edited by wannagoexplore; Mar 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:24 am

We last visited Phnom Penh in 2000 and are very exciting to be returning in a couple of weeks. Even more excited to have scored pointbreaks at the IC. PNH was very, very sleepy 12 years ago, so we are expecting lots of changes.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
thanks!

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the replies and links.
I was initially rather apprehensive about PNH as it would be the most undeveloped place I would be traveling to (not counting a 14 day community service project in the slums of Batam but that was with a group of people)

But now I’m adding PNH and Siem Riep to my list of must see destinations.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by honu
There are many, many decent hotels in PNH, where you won't have to pay nearly as much (you'll get a great room for <$100 with wifi and breakfast included), and, more importantly, much closer to the riverside and the central market. The area where the IC is located is really not interesting at all, it's relatively far from most tourist attractions (with the exception of S21, FWIW), and it's set back enough from the riverside, you'll notice the difference in air quality. I wouldn't pay cash for a room there, nor the regular points requirement, although I can see how someone who needs the stays for qualification might book the relatively low rates (for an IC).
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm with stimpy in feeling that this is a very enjoyable town to visit. I returned in January, and stayed at the IC on this visit. There's plenty to see and do to keep anyone busy for 2 or 3 days. Here's a thread with some recent chat about the town:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...staurants.html

And a 2008 article from the NYT:

36 hours in Phnom Penh
Yes, go to PNH - totally worth it. I started the thread quoted above in 2010, and have since returned for almost a dozend, sometimes lenghty, trips, whenever it suited my schedule.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh, it is absolutely worth going to. At least once in your life and preferably soon before it gets even worse than it is tourist-wise. Check out a very old trip report I wrote http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...o-sjc-lax.html and start around post #6 for the Cambodia part.
Read your TR pertaining to PNH seems you had a blast.
I do know what it feels like to have people staring at you weirdly.
Was in Bratislava last Oct and felt like I was the only Asian in the city.
When I went clubbing, people looked at me like I was an extra terrestrial.
Some even gave me disapproving looks.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
I am in PNH now (for the second time). Since my last time here several years ago I have noticed several hi-rise buildings in the construction progress (and some already built). There also appears to be more luxury cars on the roads...all seems to point that there is a lot of money being invested here.

I'm also staying at IC on PB deal....maybe I am getting more critical in my older age, but hotel is not what I remember it to be. I remember it having the wow factor about 5/6 years ago, but not now. If you are staying on PB....you will get no upgrade, lounge access, or free internet even if Platinum with PC. They did offer to upgrade me to the Executive Club Lounge floor for $45 ++ (total would have been $53/night), but my room would have stayed the same. I took a look at the Club floor lounge and the offerings were slim and IMHO it is definitely not worth the extra $$ (at least not $53). I have a feeling they are trying to get as much $$ out of you as they can if you are staying on PB deal (front desk clerk confirmed that may people booking this)...as if you do a "dummy" booking on web-site for a base room, the difference between base room price and Executive Club was only $30++, not the $45 ++ they offered me for same dates.

There is also no wi-fi in the room, just broadband with a very short CAT 5 cable. And they charge $15/day for it. Not very good for a business class hotel. Also, the TV is a very small old CRT (no flat screen) that seems to cut off every once in a while. All in all I am glad I am staying here on PB (and they are following the rules to a T), but if I was paying cash I would have probably gone to Raffles.

If anyone has any questions please ask as I am here for another few days.

Last edited by wannagoexplore; Mar 12, 2012 at 6:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:04 am

Indeed and as many have reported, a 'soft refurb' wouldn't be a bad idea. The penny pinching seems to be pretty obscene on reward nights (and the 8 USD Angkor beer at the bar isn't nice either); although I presume their RevPAR is probably disastrous, even for Cambodia
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:44 am

The penny pinching seems to be pretty obscene on reward nights (and the 8 USD Angkor beer at the bar isn't nice either)
Ha!..I stopped at a liquor store on the way back from the Central Market this afternoon and loaded up with Ankor beer at 2500 Riel each...which is .62 cents each. The stalls at the Central Market wanted 4000 Riel each (or $1). I loaded up my empty mini-bar
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
This hotel is indeed in desperate need of refurbishment. There's mold (fungal growth) growing everywhere; on the doors, in the closet, in the drawers etc. which is too much even for a tropical and humid country like Cambodia. Changing to a different room didn't make things better as apparently all rooms have this issue. Even the corridors smell of mold and dampness. This is one hotel which I wouldn't stay in again, even on point breaks (which I did before).
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by wannagoexplore
I'm also staying at IC on PB deal..... I remember it having the wow factor about 5/6 years ago, but not now. If you are staying on PB....you will get no upgrade, lounge access, or free internet even if Platinum with PC.
Platinum is a level with benefits more closely aligned to Holiday Inns. So, for a Platinum member on a reward night, expecting lounge access at an IC is probably heading for disappointment.

Royal Ambassadors on paid nights sometimes get club access at IC hotels. It happens, but it's "goodwill", not something they are entitled to.

All in all I am glad I am staying here on PB (and they are following the rules to a T), but if I was paying cash I would have probably gone to Raffles.
To get anything decent at Raffles you need to pay for a room significantly above entry level.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:58 am

I am in PNH now (for the second time). Since my last time here several years ago I have noticed several hi-rise buildings in the construction progress (and some already built). There also appears to be more luxury cars on the roads...all seems to point that there is a lot of money being invested here.

I'm also staying at IC on PB deal....maybe I am getting more critical in my older age, but hotel is not what I remember it to be. I remember it having the wow factor about 5/6 years ago, but not now. If you are staying on PB....you will get no upgrade, lounge access, or free internet even if Platinum with PC. They did offer to upgrade me to the Executive Club Lounge floor for $45 ++ (total would have been $53/night), but my room would have stayed the same. I took a look at the Club floor lounge and the offerings were slim and IMHO it is definitely not worth the extra $$ (at least not $53). I have a feeling they are trying to get as much $$ out of you as they can if you are staying on PB deal (front desk clerk confirmed that may people booking this)...as if you do a "dummy" booking on web-site for a base room, the difference between base room price and Executive Club was only $30++, not the $45 ++ they offered me for same dates.

There is also no wi-fi in the room, just broadband with a very short CAT 5 cable. And they charge $15/day for it. Not very good for a business class hotel. Also, the TV is a very small old CRT (no flat screen) that seems to cut off every once in a while. All in all I am glad I am staying here on PB (and they are following the rules to a T), but if I was paying cash I would have probably gone to Raffles.

If anyone has any questions please ask as I am here for another few days.
This description matches my recent impression. I stayed here for the first time a little over a month ago, and I wasn't too impressed. Because I've stayed at other non-affiliated hotels in Cambodia, the IC seemed only a passable deal on PB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.