Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Phnom Penh Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What's the cheapest, safest way to get to this hotel from the airport?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well the cheapest is definitely on the back of a scooter. Might be tough with baggage though.

I think I got a free ride as an RA at the IC. But even if you paid for hotel pickup, I don't think it would be too expensive at most hotels. And the airport service included cutting in line at immigration, although that might not be a standard feature from what I have read.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What's the cheapest, safest way to get to this hotel from the airport?
You can get a taxi (a proper car with aircon) at the airport kiosk for USD9 (they might try adding on toll-road charges!)

There are a number of taxi-drivers offering the same rate on internet sites: they'll wait with a name board..

The Interconti will send a hotel car for USD14 or so

A tuc-tuc will cost around USD7

If you walk out of the car park, to the main road you can hop on the back of a motorbike, and he'll ask for about half the taxi fare.

The bike option is probably out :the tuc-tuc might be fun, but it IS hot and noisy and you'll probably get quite enough tuc-tuc experience while you are there - so the taxi option is probably the best. And it won't break the bank.

I'll pm you the contact details of the chap I use, if that helps.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks everyone, since it's so cheap, I may just contact the hotel directly.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
OCT 2010 Mini-Report

Three-night stay using PointBreaker rate (5k/night).

No status other than PC membership. Given nice room on high floor with view of the pool. Approved for 2pm late check-out.

Property is at the awkward stage between being considered dated and being praised as a grand old dame, but everything is immaculate. Ten years from now everyone will be marveling how this hotel is a glorious example of a bygone period of craftmanship and comfort. Some weathering on the wallpaper seams in the hallway, not surprising given the humidity, and a bit of a musty smell in the rooms that one becomes accustomed to within minutes. Most any hotel in SEA will have the same, again given the humidity.

Huge lobby, marble and teak everywhere, nice carport & driveway.

Concierge was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Internet in room is $15. Speedtest.net test against Ho Chi Min server is about 1 Mbs and was very reliable.

Breakfast is $15 and very good. Not spectacular, but with egg, noodle soup and waffle stations. Three or four Eastern and three or four Western dishes. The pastries, however, are amazing. Must be the French influence, because they truly are fantastic. During the day you can buy them in the deli shop in the basement (ground) floor, but they seem to be made in the morning, so by 8pm they have lost a little something.

Taxi to hotel is $9, no negotiating. Tuk-Tuk around town, very much negotiable. Walk away and another will show up in moments. It is easy to quickly discern the market rate.

The Hotel is not on the river, but is just a 10-15 minute, interesting tuk-tuk ride away.

I did not go out at night (exhausted from walking and climbing stairs during the day), but did do a walkabout in the late afternoon. Neighborhood seemed fine, though walking must not be popular here as while I saw many people in their shops and hanging out on the streets, and traffic was crazy, I didn't pass a soul who was just walking. Period. During an hour-plus stroll. Also, the tuk-tuk drivers refused to accept that I was not in need of their services.

All-in, a very nice stay, especially on the PB rate.

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Oct 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hello. Thanks for the excellent report. Can you comment on being a tourist? Did you do any organized tours? How about going back to the airport? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You may know I am not happy about my PB reservation being highjacked. That being said I started contacting the Hotel yesterday evening and since have received a couple responses always quick in almost perfect English. FYI.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Hello. Thanks for the excellent report. Can you comment on being a tourist? Did you do any organized tours? How about going back to the airport? Thanks.
- Airport transfer is 14 USD for a hotel contracted car, which means no hussle, no bargaining - worth it.

- I (and some others report similiar) thought the concierge is selling tours at rip-off prices, you may be better off arranging tours in advance; I guess all can be done online

- Area, there's a market accross the street that hardly sees a tourist. However, most tourist sites are not in walking distance, but you need to take a taxi/tuk-tuk.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:47 am

Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You may know I am not happy about my PB reservation being highjacked. That being said I started contacting the Hotel yesterday evening and since have received a couple responses always quick in almost perfect English. FYI.
Not sure about your reference to the PB hijack, but on the transport front - taxis from the airport are a near as anything hassle-free $9. It's a 10 to 15-minute drive. The hotel can send a car for $5 more.

There's no shortage of tuc-tuc drivers who'll run you around for the day. $10 should make them happy.

one of the most useful sources of pratctical gen on Cambodia:
http://www.canbypublications.com/

for an interesting read on eating, drinking and other things ....:
http://www.phnomenon.com/
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:08 am

I have or should I say had a PB reservation. The Hotel cxld it and now wants me to pay $30 per night ++. Ambassador services has been USELESS in getting it fixed let alone just giving me a call on the status. Once again SHAME on IHG.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:46 pm

Preface: After visiting Siem Reap a couple years back have always wanted to make it into Phnom Penh if timing was right. Flew in on Korean Air.

Rate: I started off on PB then the Hotel changed it to points plus cash. They are working on it.

Transportation: I arranged car service with the Hotel. Think $14. A smooth ride in but arrived late evening.

Check-in: Upon arrival greeted and taken directly to room on Club floor. Extended all benefits. No suite upgrade. ASEAN ministers meeting.

Perks: Evian, fresh fruit and run of mini bar. Local gift.

Lounge: The Lounge is a ok dated affair. Strictly continental breakfast.

Room: Standard on Club.

Bathroom: Same. Some Elemis amenities.

Internet: Wired and comp with access code. Good speed.

TV: Good variety of channels.

Change: Probably will not change any money. USD readily accepted.

SIM: Will stick with Skype phone.

Spa: Two hour massage either at spa or in room $60 USD.

Local area: I arranged in advance a full day tour with driver, English speaking guide and car. Total all in less than $100.

Negatives: None. Better than I expected.

Closing: Other than my reservation being taken over very professional. I e-mailed back and forth with the Hotel and always received timley replies.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
[...]Lounge: The Lounge is a ok dated affair. Strictly continental breakfast.

[...]
Should youi still be there: There should be a menu on your table for hot breakfast options (eggs, dim sum etc.).
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:40 am

I am still here but did not notice the menu this morning. Probably best not as I saved a few cals. Thanks. Know for the future. Beautiful city. Lots of history both good and horrific. Nice people. Well worth sitting in economy for five hours. Ah. Maybe. Ok.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:42 pm

Had a great express tour of PNH. Return trip in evening to PNH took only 20 minutes. At PNH be prepared to pay departure tax of $25 USD total. Flying C on KE given access to shared Lounge. Nice. Free comp internet via wifi entire airport. PNH was nice. Would return if had some slack time in SE Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.