Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beachmouse
Another quarter, another Accelerate. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/offers/q3accelerate2017
Print Wikipost

IHG Accelerate Q3 2017 (1st September to 31st December)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I am so annoyed. One of my tasks, stay in 1 of the following major cities, one of which is Los Angeles.

stayed for two nights at Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown. Go figure the hotel is so new it is the ONLY hotel not listed in Los Angeles (and it did not count either, the stay counted towards other tasks but not that one)

be warned. Haven't tried complaining to IHG. What are the chances of them allowing it ..?

To follow up on this, IHG said that any hotel not on the list would not qualify for this promotion.

So be warned guys, if you have this offer, IC LA Downtown does NOT count ! the only hotel in LA not on the list.. go figure

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Sep 29, 2017 at 1:43 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I am so annoyed. One of my tasks, stay in 1 of the following major cities, one of which is Los Angeles.

stayed for two nights at Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown. Go figure the hotel is so new it is the ONLY hotel not listed in Los Angeles (and it did not count either, the stay counted towards other tasks but not that one)

be warned. Haven't tried complaining to IHG. What are the chances of them allowing it ..?
It's not that new. It's been open since June. Even the newly remodeled Holiday Inn Express West Los Angeles/Santa Monica which has been closed for many months due to an extensive remodel - and has been off the IHG site until this week - is listed. They just reopened last week.

Doesn't hurt to complain but I wouldn't be expecting anything.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:39 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Ok so here's a brief timeline of the points posting...

Stayed Sept 16-17
Regular points and night credited Sept 18
Accelerate summary (top section) and hurdles updated September 22nd

Actual bonus points still not yet posted in my account though... It's the weirdest IT system ever, worse than Hyatt? haha
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Ok so here's a brief timeline of the points posting...

Stayed Sept 16-17
Regular points and night credited Sept 18
Accelerate summary (top section) and hurdles updated September 22nd

Actual bonus points still not yet posted in my account though... It's the weirdest IT system ever, worse than Hyatt? haha
Nothing weird, and normal for accelerate, sweep of accounts done usually once a week and then points post a few days later.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
If I do two back to back nights in the same hotel and book one night with the app and another one on the site (to take advantage of rate discounts) will the night booked on the app be picked up by the system as a stay booked on the app?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
If I do two back to back nights in the same hotel and book one night with the app and another one on the site (to take advantage of rate discounts) will the night booked on the app be picked up by the system as a stay booked on the app?
Perhaps if you check out in the morning, pretend you're not coming back (certainly don't keep the same room!), and check back in separately that evening. (But even then not sure.)

But if you want to keep the same room, forget it being counted as separate, either both nights are likely to be counted as the app or neither (and the latter more likely, because the hotel will likely have to modify the reservation to merge your two nights into one reservation for you to keep the same room.

The defintion of a "stay" in every hotel program (including therefore IHG, of course) is: Any number (1+) of consecutive nights at the same hotel, no matter how many times you check in or check out.

So per that defintion, two consecutive nights in the same hotel is only one stay, not two.

Ie, you have to hope someone makes a mistake, for it to count as two stays for you. If everyone follows the rules, it will be one stay.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I recently did a prepaid/advance payment stay. Reservation and booking made on Jun 9th, stay occurred on Sep 5-6th.

Activity in my account shows up on Sep 8th for points and is listed as "Qualifying stay".

Does this count for accelerate? Need to know as it was a HI hotel and I have a bonus for stay at 2 HI hotels.

No movement or status on the Accelerate thing.

T&C:
Thank you for being a loyal IHG® Rewards Club member. Stay once and earn 2,000 bonus points.
Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in this Offer ("Registration"). Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after your Qualifying Stay at any IHG brand hotels, which must be completed between 1 September 2017 and 31 December 2017 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, EVEN® or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide. Stays at Holiday Inn Resorts®, Holiday Inn Select and the Holiday Inn Club Vacations® properties count as Stays at the Holiday Inn brand and Stays at InterContinental Alliance® Resort properties count as Stays at the InterContinental brand. A Stay is defined per IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out (“Stay”). For the purpose of this Offer under this Promotion a Stay constitutes a “Qualifying Stay” which include most business and leisure rates. IHG® Rewards Club is responsible for fulfilment of the bonus points offer. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the bonus points to be posted into your account. This Offer is subject to the General Promotion Terms and standard IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions and earning structure, which can be obtained by visiting www.ihgrewardsclub.com. IHG reserves the right to remove a member’s bonus points or cancel a member’s account if fraudulent use of the Offer is detected. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion/Offer at any time with or without notice. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG reserves the right of final interpretation of this Offer.

© 2017 InterContinental Hotels Group, Three Ravinia Drive, Suite 100, Atlanta, Georgia 30346-2121 U.S.A. All rights reserved. Most hotels are independently owned and operated.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I recently did a prepaid/advance payment stay. Reservation and booking made on Jun 9th, stay occurred on Sep 5-6th.

Activity in my account shows up on Sep 8th for points and is listed as "Qualifying stay".

Does this count for accelerate? Need to know as it was a HI hotel and I have a bonus for stay at 2 HI hotels.

No movement or status on the Accelerate thing.

T&C:
Thank you for being a loyal IHG® Rewards Club member. Stay once and earn 2,000 bonus points.
Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register your member number in advance to participate in this Offer ("Registration"). Number of bonus points listed above will be awarded after your Qualifying Stay at any IHG brand hotels, which must be completed between 1 September 2017 and 31 December 2017 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, EVEN® or HUALUXE® hotels worldwide. Stays at Holiday Inn Resorts®, Holiday Inn Select and the Holiday Inn Club Vacations® properties count as Stays at the Holiday Inn brand and Stays at InterContinental Alliance® Resort properties count as Stays at the InterContinental brand. A Stay is defined per IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out (“Stay”). For the purpose of this Offer under this Promotion a Stay constitutes a “Qualifying Stay” which include most business and leisure rates. IHG® Rewards Club is responsible for fulfilment of the bonus points offer. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the bonus points to be posted into your account. This Offer is subject to the General Promotion Terms and standard IHG® Rewards Club Membership Terms and Conditions and earning structure, which can be obtained by visiting www.ihgrewardsclub.com. IHG reserves the right to remove a member’s bonus points or cancel a member’s account if fraudulent use of the Offer is detected. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion/Offer at any time with or without notice. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG reserves the right of final interpretation of this Offer.

© 2017 InterContinental Hotels Group, Three Ravinia Drive, Suite 100, Atlanta, Georgia 30346-2121 U.S.A. All rights reserved. Most hotels are independently owned and operated.
IHG is inconsistent about how long it takes for things to post to the Accelerate dashboard. For example, sometimes a "pay for stay with IHG credit card" tasks takes multiple months, and other times it's almost as quick as the stay itself. So it may not yet be clear whether the fact it hasn't posted to your Accelerate dashboard yet means it will never post.

I suggest you continue with your next HI stay, unless you were planning to abandon this Accelerate cycle if this stay doesn't post. If that next HI stay posts to accelerate and this one hasn't posted yet by then, it's likely that it won't post. On the other hand, if this stay posts by the time your second HI stay posts, you're done with that 2 HI stays task.

But since different people tasks seem to post with different timing, you can't necessarily compare one persons timing to your timing, only your posting on a later stay to your (possible) lack of posting yet of an earlier stay (on the same task).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Perhaps if you check out in the morning, pretend you're not coming back (certainly don't keep the same room!), and check back in separately that evening. (But even then not sure.)

But if you want to keep the same room, forget it being counted as separate, either both nights are likely to be counted as the app or neither (and the latter more likely, because the hotel will likely have to modify the reservation to merge your two nights into one reservation for you to keep the same room.

The defintion of a "stay" in every hotel program (including therefore IHG, of course) is: Any number (1+) of consecutive nights at the same hotel, no matter how many times you check in or check out.

So per that defintion, two consecutive nights in the same hotel is only one stay, not two.

Ie, you have to hope someone makes a mistake, for it to count as two stays for you. If everyone follows the rules, it will be one stay.
Thanks. Yes I do understand this is one stay. But the accellerate promotion target for the app simply requires guests to book a stay with the app which I would be doing. Do we know whether that'd be disqualified simply because there is another night attached to that initial night? Last week I had one night booked on the app which I extended with the front desk as I had to stay a further night. Will this not count towards the promotion simply because I stayed a further night?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Thanks. Yes I do understand this is one stay. But the accellerate promotion target for the app simply requires guests to book a stay with the app which I would be doing. Do we know whether that'd be disqualified simply because there is another night attached to that initial night? Last week I had one night booked on the app which I extended with the front desk as I had to stay a further night. Will this not count towards the promotion simply because I stayed a further night?
It's impossible to forecast, because it depends on how that particular hotel (in fact how a particular person at that particular hotel) "merges" your two reservations or "extends" your reservation. The only thing I can say for certain is that it may or may not count, independently in each case (ie, both cases might count, or both cases might not count, or one case might count and the other might not count).

So since it's impossible to predict, you just have to wait (unless you're willing to cancel the second night and move the second night to a different hotel). Fortunately, it's still only September, and the promo lasts until December, so you'll have some time to do "make-up" stays if you find out for "certain" that one or the other or both didn't count toward your app task.

But what I don't know is how long app tasks take to post compared to simple stay posts. They may post at the same or they may post significantly later, I don't know. I've never had an app task (except several years ago back when it didn't really require an app), so I have no experience with this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:53 pm

Thanks sdsearch. These are the joys of IHG I guess. I'll update the thread in case it's useful to anyone.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Another question on stays counting for Accelerate.

Like many, I have the "weekend stay" saturday night plus one other target.

If I book this as 2 stays - one for saturday and one for sunday, but different rooms types due to vastly different pricing each day, will this work correctly as a qualifying 2 night weekend stay? Has anyone done this?

I would rather not have to mess around with post-stay claims with IHG, find them awful to deal with.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:44 am

Somehow the 2stay corporate code challenge got in my accelerate Q3 account.
I don't have any corporate code so I will never be able to finalize it...

They don't want to change it and they say i'm still able to get my bonus as only 7 out of 8 challenges need to be completed.
A bit stupid..
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by daruda
Somehow the 2stay corporate code challenge got in my accelerate Q3 account.
I don't have any corporate code so I will never be able to finalize it...

They don't want to change it and they say i'm still able to get my bonus as only 7 out of 8 challenges need to be completed.
A bit stupid..
Google someone else's corporate code if the points and contribution towards your achieving the 7 out of 8 makes it worthwhile!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
Originally Posted by justin1123
Another question on stays counting for Accelerate.

Like many, I have the "weekend stay" saturday night plus one other target.

If I book this as 2 stays - one for saturday and one for sunday, but different rooms types due to vastly different pricing each day, will this work correctly as a qualifying 2 night weekend stay? Has anyone done this?.
I obviously can't see the t&c of your tasks but I'd say it's highly unlikely that 2 separate stays would count, when I've had this in the past the whole point has been to make.you stay 2 consecutive nights in the same hotel on a single booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.