Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems obvious that it isn't the way that IHG does business
Can you name another site that does this?

I find it hard to believe that anyone in their right mind feels entitled to use codes from a 3rd party site and does so without verifying
You verify by typing the code into the web site. If it accepts it, it's good. If it rejects it, it's no good. That is how it works everywhere else.

How would you verify it?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yule_boy
Don Berg, the VP of IHG Loyalty Programs a year ago:

"Stackable Promotion Codes for IHG bonus points is a technology limitation. Creating a software fix for members registering different promotion codes to earn bonus points from multiple promotions is a technology issue that is not a priority for IHG at this time. The loyalty points gamers are not that big a population. Eventually the technology will be in place, but for now smart IHG Rewards Club members can game the system for extra points on hotel stays."
I guess the answer is that something has changed since then. I did hear at one point that the auditors had been through taking a look at the promotions. Given how they seem to have dried up in the last year or so, I guess it is possible they had differeing opinions on the matter, and their arguments won on the day....
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You verify by typing the code into the web site. If it accepts it, it's good. If it rejects it, it's no good. That is how it works everywhere else.
That's like trying to argue that anyone can use IBM's negotiated rates because the website allows someone to put that code in the corporate code field

In my experience inthe real world, if something is explicity forbidden in the T&Cs, then it isn't permitted
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I notice that certain Blogs are still posting up various codes which could be quite dangerous.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I notice that certain Blogs are still posting up various codes which could be quite dangerous.
Including this forum - even though it isn't in a "sticky" thread anymore , the posting of the codes provides a nice aid for fraudulent accrual of points
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

I find it hard to believe that anyone in their right mind feels entitled to use codes from a 3rd party
You've never been to sites like RetailMeNot? I always check there before doing an online order from certain companies to see if there's a current offer from, say, King Arthur Flour for 20% off or free shipping with minimum purchase.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Just wondering if those around here that continue to advocate the use of (possibly) targeted codes by all, will actually continue to use all available codes personally? Or is this just matter of principle and they're as afraid of losing their stash of points as much as anyone?

Who's walking the walk....?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Just wondering if those around here that continue to advocate the use of (possibly) targeted codes by all, will actually continue to use all available codes personally? Or is this just matter of principle and they're as afraid of losing their stash of points as much as anyone?

Who's walking the walk....?
I'm not advocating using codes. I don't use them myself - and I seldom stay at IHG hotels. Most of my posts here are pointing out that IHG's practice of shutting people accounts without warning people.

Here's one I discovered recently - another rubbish IT through IHG:

Under your offer in Mr. Nacho's IHG Rewards account, there is a promo called something like use cash+points to book rooms and we will reward you 5k points.

I look into the ? mark sign: it stated that it's only for those who have personally received an email about the offer (Fair enough, but he never receives one).

So my question is: if he uses this offer, does he commit fraud?

The offer didn't show up in my account, and I'm not intending to use it anyway.

To put things worse: the T&C is hopelessly written as well - no mentioning of how many times you can book. Why not just put a simple sentence like 'limited for 1 booking per targeted member only'.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:09 am

It seems obvious that it isn't the way that IHG does business
It's apparent to us because we're familiar with this situation already and we post on FT. There is no credible argument to support the claim that this is or even should be "obvious" to the general public.

I find it hard to believe that anyone in their right mind feels entitled to use codes from a 3rd party site and does so without verifying
"Verifying" how?? Call up the business and ask if you're allowed to use code "1234"?

I would guess the vast majority of consumers that make use of discount codes see the discount code box and then do a google search (or check retailmenot or similar) to find a valid code ("valid" meaning the site accepts it).

I'm sorry, you just sound like a complete apologist.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

How would you verify it?
Exactly.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:13 am

That's like trying to argue that anyone can use IBM's negotiated rates because the website allows someone to put that code in the corporate code field
Actually it's not, because "corporate rates" are far less common, usually entered in a separately-labeled field, and often require later verification.

In my experience inthe real world, if something is explicity forbidden in the T&Cs, then it isn't permitted
What do you go searching for "terms and conditions" before you order a pizza?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
My account was canned in July and back then I asked IHG for clarification, I finally received a reply this week:

Dear Mr. Valdor,

The matter regarding your closed IHG Rewards Club account has been forwarded to the Executive Offices of IHG.

It has come to our attention that some of your account promotion enrollment activities are in violation of the terms and conditions of IHG Rewards Club. Such violations are considered fraudulent by IHG Rewards Club and IHG. As such we have closed your IHG Rewards Club account, including forfeiture of all points accrued. You can review the terms and conditions of IHG Rewards Club www.ihg.com/rewardsclub.

Should you wish to discuss this further, you may call me directly at 1-801-887-7469. I am available from Monday through Friday during the hours of 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM Mountain Standard Time. In the event that I am away from my desk when you call, please leave a valid phone number and the best time when I may reach you. Please be advised that due to the nature of your issue, any communications with IHG regarding this matter will be immediately forwarded to me for handling, and I will only be able to provide you with a response.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Best regards,

Michael Lawyer | Executive Liaison
How ridiculous that it took them over three months to send me what is basically an automated response. I spent over 100 nights with IHG in the 12 months leading to this mess, I haven't spent a dollar with them since. Out of curiosity I will call Mr. Lawyer tomorrow and post a transcript of my conversation here.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After your discussion, I would consider writing a letter (a real letter, not an email) to someone higher-up in the company (eg, the CEO). It would be interesting to find out how they feel about losing a customer who generates 10s of thousands of dollars per year in revenue for them over a few hunded dollars worth of points.

It is hard to believe that the decision-makers are this company are really this stupid.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by valdor
My account was canned in July and back then I asked IHG for clarification, I finally received a reply this week:

How ridiculous that it took them over three months to send me what is basically an automated response. I spent over 100 nights with IHG in the 12 months leading to this mess, I haven't spent a dollar with them since. Out of curiosity I will call Mr. Lawyer tomorrow and post a transcript of my conversation here.
I got a similar letter about my account closure last year. Had nothing to do with my 25 brgs just registering for a lot of the promotion codes in the old promotion code master thread.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by valdor
LOL "Michael Lawyer." Seems perfect for this company.

(I'd file a BBB complaint.)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trouble747
"Verifying" how?? Call up the business and ask if you're allowed to use code "1234"?
That's exactly what an earlier poster said they did and they were told that if the website accepts it, it's fine for them to use.

I don't have a problem with them closing accounts for violations after the T&C changed, but to retroactively close accounts when their own representatives were telling people it was fine to use the codes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.