Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Yes for sure....
Actually HI and HI Resorts are considered the same brand for the BigWin promo, or at least they were for the last one.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Actually HI and HI Resorts are considered the same brand for the BigWin promo, or at least they were for the last one.
My bad!!! You are correct... just read fully the T&C which the OP could have done also
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFlash
WHAT???!!!!!!!!! Please IHG don't start fooling us with this. I have made bookings in late Dec, with above-normal rates just to be sure I qualify for BigWin, but if only bookings beginning of Jan counts, IHG is insane! The bigwin marketing started in Dec and there was no statement about booking period.
Please confirm that this is not the case
Make you're not confusing what tasks December boooking do and don't count for.

It's only the so-called mobile booking task which requires the booking to be made Jan 1 to Apr 30. All non-booking tasks require the stay nights to be consumed Jan 1 to Apr 30.

So your December bookings are ok for most/all other tasks, they just apparently won't count toward the so-called mobile booking task.

Originally Posted by FFlash
So where can I find the T&C for BigWin to be able to check whether my best flex rate w breakfast counts or not (booked in Dec, will be used in Jan-14) for the BigWin-14?

I could only find the global T&C where there was nothing about big win.
Log in to your Big Win , the click on the tasks you're interested in, and it'll have a link then to the T&Cs (which open in a separate window).

The T&C for the so-called mobile booking tasks say (in part):
Bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be rewarded after required number of qualifying stays are booked on any IHG web or mobile apps between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at participating InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, Even® or Hualuxe® hotels worldwide. Click here for a full list of participating hotels.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

The one that has got my pants in a twist is definitely, "Best available rate with breakfast." How was I supposed to know that this means "Best available rate with added breakfast option?"

Now I have to cancel and hopefully find a hotel that sells the breakfast option as an extra.

I hope they fire the lawyer that OK'd the language for the terms and get a replacement real soon.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I hope they fire the lawyer that OK'd the language for the terms and get a replacement real soon.
Given the amount of issues with TBW1 I can't understand why they didn't run a more standard promotion in Q1 of 2014, for example stay X nights and receive X points whilst they took the time to reflect more on TBW1 and iron out the issues in preparation for running it again Q2.

I can only assume that the uplift in bookings/stays/spending has impressed someone and TBW2 has been rushed out due to the 'success' of TBW1.

Whilst a little more thought has been put into some of the individual components the actual trends don't appear to have been analysed properly. For example my own offer for TBW1 was for twelve nights, I stayed twenty five nights and in TBW2 the number of stay requirements is for four nights. Another colleague in my office had over forty nights, his requirement for TBW1 was thirty six nights and TBW2 is seven.

I realise that this is only two examples, however the internet is littered with people who's offers which are apparently specifically targeted are a joke.

Last edited by chrism20; Jan 2, 2014 at 8:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:47 am
Suspended

I agree with you. A more standardized promo would have been better.

I also agree that not all offers are tailored to the particular guest, and many people got screwed. Normally when promos like this go out, "a study was done" costing the corporation thousands and thousands of dollars. Then someone on the top end thinks it's great, approves it, and that is that.

From the top end, everything will be judged by the "bottom line." However there are usually other factors that can and will contribute to the bottom line (outside of any "successes" of this promo). But if IHG profits, they will undoubtedly attribute a large portion of the success to this promo, nevertheless. That is how big shots operate, IMHO. I've seen it happen again and again. They will pat themselves on the back, smiles everywhere, shake hands, smoke cigars, and tell the company that provided the data they have done a great job, "what a great team we are," now let's get started on the next strategy....

Your concept of a more standardized approach contains something that this promotion simply doesn't have - common sense.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by al613
Did anyone have a stay booked on third party website count for you for the Big Win?
Anyone had an experience with it?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:08 am

(Apologies for being thick...)

I got the Live the City Life - "Stay at 2 of the following locations below and earn 16,000 points." I see an initial list of cities/hotels:

Madrid: Hotel Indigo, Gran Via
Amsterdam: Crowne Plaza, Amsterdam South
Munich: Holiday Inn Express, Messe
Paris: InterContinental, Avenue Marceau
London: Holiday Inn, Heathrow

and then when I click View All (next to "list of eligible hotels") I get a much longer list of "participating hotels".

Must my two stays be from the short or the long list? If the long list, what significance (if any) does the short list have?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:15 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
I am a UK IHG member. One of the offers on my 2014 Big Win Promo is unclear.

The offer suggests that I must 'Get the Priority Club Rewards Black Visa, brought to you by IHG® Rewards Club, use it to book and pay for 1 stay and earn 10,000 points.'

However the terms and conditions state that I must 'Make a purchase with your new Priority Club® Rewards Visa® credit card, get 20,000 bonus points. To qualify and receive your bonus points, you must be a new Priority Club® Rewards Visa® credit cardholder (opened account in the last 90 days) and reached a minimum spend of 20,000 on your new credit card between 01/01/2014 and 30/04/2014 and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to be posted onto your account. Most hotels are independently owned and operated. Barclaycard may close your credit card account or suspend your right to use your credit card account, at any time for any reason, including account inactivity. This exclusive offer is valid and applies to the original recipient only'

I have just opened a new Priority Club® Rewards Visa® credit card so I am unable to open the Priority Club Rewards Black Visa.

I have 5 offers in the promo and I need all 5 to 'win big' 47,000 points. I am hoping to 'win big' and complete all of my 5 offers so it is important to me that I don't miss out on the Priority Club® Rewards Visa® credit card offer. However I don't know what I need to do.

I tried writing to IHG Customer service and they suggested I contact Chase bank. This is ridiculous because it is Barclays not Chase that run the Priority Club® Rewards Visa® credit card in the UK and, in any case, Barclays will not know about the terms of this IHG promotion.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by sam
reached a minimum spend of 20,000
Any ideas?
Is that minimum spend correct? You only need to spend £10k to get a free night.

The only thing I can suggest is if you have received the card in the last two weeks or so is call Barclays up and plead dumb and say you applied for the Black and they have sent you Blue.

For the Big Win though they will be wanting you to take the black one though as I would imagine they get a cut of the £99 fee.

Last edited by chrism20; Jan 2, 2014 at 9:26 am Reason: Added another line
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:34 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
Is that minimum spend correct? You only need to spend £10k to get a free night.

The only thing I can suggest is if you have received the card in the last two weeks or so is call Barclays up and plead dumb and say you applied for the Black and they have sent you Blue.

For the Big Win though they will be wanting you to take the black one though as I would imagine they get a cut of the £99 fee.
I did ask them about 20,000 in 3 months. Doesn't seem right. They responded that I should contact Chase

My original thought was to call Barclays to switch. In fact I called them already (they advised that I need to wait until I get the card). However, even if I successfully switch to Black I'm not sure I will get the offer. This affects what I am prepared to do for my other offers (e.g. I might have to burn a night in a local Holiday Inn that I don't need which I am happy to do for 47,000 points but not for 3,000).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:40 am

I'm still having this error for 2 of my offers.

Stay at 2 resorts in the following locations and receive 7,200 points.
views.dashboard.offer.r.title

When I tried to look at the List of eligible hotels, there's nothing there....

Spend 190 on food or beverage at any IHG® hotel and receive 800 points.
views.dashboard.offer.r.title

I wonder what are the secret resorts which I have to stay.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sam
My original thought was to call Barclays to switch. In fact I called them already (they advised that I need to wait until I get the card). However, even if I successfully switch to Black I'm not sure I will get the offer. This affects what I am prepared to do for my other offers (e.g. I might have to burn a night in a local Holiday Inn that I don't need which I am happy to do for 47,000 points but not for 3,000).
I think this is a lost cause and you will spend more time and money trying to get the points than the points are worth - unless you are retired and have no hobbies...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:45 am
sam

Originally Posted by :D!
I think this is a lost cause and you will spend more time and money trying to get the points than the points are worth - unless you are retired and have no hobbies...
I don't have free time but I want to give it a go. 50000 points is a night in the InterContinental ANA Tokyo. I'm taking my wife to Tokyo for her 40th in July. I think it is worth the effort!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sam
I did ask them about 20,000 in 3 months. Doesn't seem right. They responded that I should contact Chase

To clarify the minimum spend you will need to speak to IHG it's their promotion not Barclays. Best of luck with that one, no doubt you will get a response that they appreciate the opportunity to help you with your enquiry and then provide a response that either A: Makes no sense (eg phone Chase for a UK product) or B: Not actually answer the query at all which appears to be a favourite one at the moment.

If the requirement is just to book and pay for one stay and the card is on it's way you could keep it for the three months (that is what they say you must keep the blue before attempting to upgrade to black) which would take place by the second week in April and you would then have two weeks to make the stay using the black card.

Very long winded but thankfully the one thing Barclays are very quick at is issuing new cards. My last one was here in two days when I reported it to be faulty so if you upgrade as soon as you are allowed to you would have time to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.