Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Nepal72
In my offer one requirement is a resort stay, the list of hotels is still broken in the same.

The terms and conditions under the resort offer say

"Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be rewarded after required number of stays at distinct IHG resort properties (3 night minimum stay) at all participating IHG resorts China between 1 January 2014 and 30 April 2014 (both dates inclusive)"

Than it goes on to say a stay is considered for one night or more.

I am confused does it mean that I need to stay a minimum of 3 nights at the resort property that they list (once they get it working) or is it 3 nights if I choose a resort property in China and 1 night or more in other destinations.
What they mean by "stay" is a hotel stay, which is minimum one night.

What they mean by Resort Stay apparently is 3 nights minimum. I stayed two nights at a Resort during Big Win 2013 and it did not qualify.

And now my 2014 Getaway offer says China too.

I am not doing this 2014 Big Win because of it.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Like the others who do a lot of business with IHG, I got a poor offer that I have little chance of "winning". But it does seem a tad easier than the last one.

30 nights (may be possible)
5 different brands (may be possible)
Start the day off right (I won't bother if I have no chance for the Big Win)
Live the City life (this time they gave me Europe! So there is a fair chance I'll get this one)
Stay at 7 IC's (not sure if I can swing this, but it will be my pleasure to try)
Win in a weekend (5 saturdays. That's better than the 7 Saturdays they tried to get me to do last time, but still too many. I have a family and IHG is trying to get me to avoid them on the weekends!)

The Saturday one is the the knife in the back. No big win for me.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by stimpy
The Saturday one is the the knife in the back. No big win for me.
Don't say such things! Certainly some helpful dudes can help you out with that!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait a minute. I didn't notice this til just now, but the big win box says I only need to complete six of the 8 challenges. So I don't really need to do the Saturdays. Hmm, maybe I will get a fair amount of points out of this after all. But then again 100.000 points isn't exactly a week at an IC. Ideally if you complete a big promotion like this you should get 5 to 7 days at one of their top hotels as compensation. But at 50K points per night that's not going to cut it. And since I mostly stay at Euro IC's, I don't even get the proper number of points for my stays as I would at IC's in North America. So while this promo is certainly more interesting than the last big win deal, I'm not sure it competes against Starwood and Hilton.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 4:53 pm

But then again 100.000 points isn't exactly a week at an IC. Ideally if you complete a big promotion like this you should get 5 to 7 days at one of their top hotels as compensation. But at 50K points per night that's not going to cut it.
So while this promo is certainly more interesting than the last big win deal, I'm not sure it competes against Starwood and Hilton.
Are we talking about the Starwood that has a limit of 15000pts on the bonus awarded during their promotion for the same period requiring 25 paid nights to achieve that level? I'd love to know which of their top hotels have a 5-7 night redemption cost of 15000 points.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton IHG
My challenge:

Stay 10 nights 10,400 pts
Stay at 4 IHG brands 19,200
Stay at 2 holiday inn brands 4,800
Complete all 3 receive 34,000

Seems very very easy. Although its a little confusing regarding the 4 IHG and 2 holiday inn brands. Seems redundant.

I am also platinum I stayed 48 nights in IHG hotels this year.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:33 pm
Suspended

I just noticed for the first time that Chase UR mall has IHG as one of its partners. Can we book through UR mall and earn UR's and at the same time earn IHG points for that night, which will in turn qualify as a stay for this promo?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My new promo is fundamentally the same as my last one that I couldn't easily complete but with extra nights required overall.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I just noticed for the first time that Chase UR mall has IHG as one of its partners. Can we book through UR mall and earn UR's and at the same time earn IHG points for that night, which will in turn qualify as a stay for this promo?
Yes, this is what I've been doing and it works.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Are we talking about the Starwood that has a limit of 15000pts on the bonus awarded during their promotion for the same period requiring 25 paid nights to achieve that level? I'd love to know which of their top hotels have a 5-7 night redemption cost of 15000 points.
Yes the quarterly bonus points are limited, but you are forgetting that Starwood gives a vastly higher number of points than IHG for stays (no points for spend at most IC's), especially when you realize that Starpoints are generally worth 3 times IHG points, depending on how you use them of course. Not to mention the extra bonus for using the Starwood Amex.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:02 am

Not to mention the extra bonus for using the Starwood Amex.

Best not to mention it because I can't get one
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Best not to mention it because I can't get one
I don't live in America either, but it's not *that* hard to get one if you really want it.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:28 pm

Stay with check-in on December 31st and check-out on January 1st

Greetings;

Would a stay with check-in on December 31 / 13 and check-out on January 1 / 14 count for the purposes of The Big Win Spring 2014 promotion ?

Most days I think that I have a reasonable command of the English language, but the wording in the T and C's isn't particularly clear to me;

" bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) "

Do I " consume " a room night when I check-in, check-out, or do I need to do both in order to " consume " the room ?

Also, is anyone aware of any current referral bonuses for signing up a friend to the IHG Rewards Club program ?

Thanks very much for your comments, oh wise ones !
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Here is mine:

Stay a total of 6 nights and receive 8,800 POINTS
Stay at 4 different IHG® brands and receive 19,200 POINTS
Stay 2 Saturday nights and receive 8,000 POINTS
Stay at 3 Holiday Inn® hotels and receive 5,600 POINTS
Book 3 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and receive 2,800 POINTS
Complete 5 of your offers and receive 44,000 POINTS

For me this is perhaps doable and I will try.

I have been stupid for all my years of travel neglecting hotel programs, caring only for flights as I never saw the benefits of hotel programs worth spending effort. Only after I got this offer from IHG I started to pay attention. Then some of my friends told me that you can make more points on hotel programs (which I did not believe first) than burning airmiles for hotel rewards. Oh how many free nights I have missed through years, oh how painful it was to shuffle through these threads to realize all this. For example, I have had 3 IHG stays during this year (only), where I could have earned 100k+ points on all those promos
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:16 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by xenole
My new promo is fundamentally the same as my last one that I couldn't easily complete but with extra nights required overall.
My new promo is practically the same as the last promo with the points awarded for each challenge SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCED

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.