Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Had to laugh when I read this article: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/77199931.cms

These flights are also a realisation of a big-time push by aviation minister Hardeep Singh Puri, who has always wanted Indian airlines to fly long-haul international directly and take away traffic from international carriers that fly passengers through various hubs.
Really sad to see such a misuse of a pandemic....
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
“Repatriation flights have high demand, and as per MOCA data 2/3 of that demand is being met through foreign airlines and charters. Long haul repatriation flights are especially lucrative as with the air bubbles, seats can be sold in both directions and at healthy fares given the high demand and short supply, especially as 6th freedom (or flights connecting via third countries) are not permitted under the bubbles,” said Sanjiv Kapoor, who has held key management positions at both SpiceJet and Vistara.
What's wrong if Indian airlines are getting in on the act? Competition on routes is good for the consumer. Why should AF/KLM and AI only profit on these routes?

AI flying exclusive routes and gouging customers was bad. And UA came in and hammered their prices down on the US flights.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Nothing wrong with any 'new' airline getting in on the act, just like it is defined via the bilateral between NL and India. (21 flights by KLM and AI each per week: http://164.100.60.133/bilateral/Bilateral.pdf ) This artificial curtailment of supply is hurting the consumer...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:38 pm

IMO, if these are still considered "repatriation" flights, then they should be operated solely for that purpose. But that is not happening.
By creating these bubbles, the onus now lies with passengers & travel agents as compared to the embassies. With that, the goal to assist stuck citizens is not being achieved, causing inconvenience, confusion and mental stress to many. And to add, another issue is that Govts and airlines will now misuse the "bubble" clause to bend rules, which means, we will now only see the pandemic get worse. Both USA and India are perfect examples as by creating these bubbles between two covid19 hot-spots, there won't be much vetting and the pandemic will only get worse.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
This artificial curtailment of supply is hurting the consumer...
This is so true.

Originally Posted by Redhat72
IMO, if these are still considered "repatriation" flights, then they should be operated solely for that purpose. But that is not happening.
By creating these bubbles, the onus now lies with passengers & travel agents as compared to the embassies. With that, the goal to assist stuck citizens is not being achieved, causing inconvenience, confusion and mental stress to many..
Again, so true!
We have now had so many many stories of various people stuck (especially India / USA). And some of these stories are very sad.
A dear friend lost her father...and could not make it to the funeral in India. They finally decided to not go at all...as the process was quite complicated (in the early days of VB missions).

On the other hand - some other people flew India-USA on AI ..and got tickets as they "knew someone" in the right places, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:09 am

Both USA and India are perfect examples as by creating these bubbles between two covid19 hot-spots, there won't be much vetting and the pandemic will only get worse.
Sadly that has nothing to do with any 'bubbles' but with the inadequate public health care infrastructure in these two countries that can't manage to provide adquate tracing and effective containment of a pandemic.

This entire VB and 'bubble' thing is a scam to keep out competition and ensure a steady stream of visitors with suitcases to the Hon Minister and his minions to get their own exemption. If he had the Indian consumer in mind he could have suspended all bilaterals until 2023 and allow any Indian airline and any airline the other country to operate as many flights as they like. If there is demand companies will deploy capacity there. If they can't do so effeciently, they will lose out to those who can, even if it means that the traffic goes via the hubs of the EU3 or ME3.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
VB Mission schedule till Aug 30
https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/sit...le_flights.pdf

So possibly no regular international arrivals/departures till that date (except for the flights approved such as AI, UA, etc)
as i mentioned in another thread, my contact at air india told me there will be no regular scheduled flights till the 6th of september....however, vistara has started selling tickets to some international destinations from the 12th of august onward....my mother needs to travel to singapore so have booked her on a 14th august flight....lets see what happens....
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
as i mentioned in another thread, my contact at air india told me there will be no regular scheduled flights till the 6th of september....however, vistara has started selling tickets to some international destinations from the 12th of august onward....my mother needs to travel to singapore so have booked her on a 14th august flight....lets see what happens....
Thank you for the info!

Good luck to your mother.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:12 am

This tweet is hillarious... as are the responses.

Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:57 am

https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/1288425454332809216
Funny and sad at the same time.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:03 am

https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/1288425454332809216
Interestingly, AI customer service has transitioned to Twitter for announcements and respond to queries. There is much more updated info on Twitter than the AI website.

Just reading thru Twitter (search for "Air India") shows the severity of the pandemic on air travel. Read one AI passenger showing helplessness when he/she had 5 flights cancelled. AI is not issuing any refunds. So I can see a long battle with customer service.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
So I can see a long battle with customer service.
battle will follow once you can get in touch with customer service....that is not easy to do at the moment....

their flying returns department is still not functioning & even getting through to their regular customer service is a task....very often you will stay on hold for half an hour or more, only to get connected to their customer satisfaction survey the moment someone picks up the phone....last week i called for 3 days straight & i could barely hear the agent every time someone picked up....the voice was so faint that i had to hang up....happened over a dozen times....
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:33 am

Todays ablution:

Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Nothing wrong with any 'new' airline getting in on the act, just like it is defined via the bilateral between NL and India. (21 flights by KLM and AI each per week: http://164.100.60.133/bilateral/Bilateral.pdf ) This artificial curtailment of supply is hurting the consumer...
Well AI's probably not doing this route because they don't think they can fill up enough seats charging extortionist rates.

Interestingly enough it looks like SG is flying this route because the plane (being wet leased along with crew from Hifly Portugal) is somewhere around AMS. Rather than spend money on the flying an empty aircraft to India.. they've decided to try and pick up some pax on the way here.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a regular route for SG. They might keep it to do UK or US runs. Probably UK because they can't do US runs with just 1 plane.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 30, 2020 at 4:05 am
Old Jul 31, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
So anyone booking AI for VBM - please keep monitoring your reservation daily! My DEL-ORD was changed from 13 to 12 to 9th and today morning found it magically changed to 1st August (today late evening, tomorrow AM!!) ... cancelled all AI and now booked UA as they have loaded full schedule till 31st August!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.