Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you are going to NYC you can't meet with business partners straight away, NY/NJ/CT require you to quarantine (just like when you arrive in India): https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Yes you can meet with them straight away.

Quarantine rules apply only for interstate travel (the list of states are provided). You're fine traveling the north east. However if you go to CA, TX MN etc. and you return to NY/NJ you will need to quarantine.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
You can fly UA, AI EY, EK etc. Of course given how miserable flying is right now I'd prefer direct.

All you can hope for given the number of cases in India, that the US adds India to the list of banned countries.
if i have to suffer wearing a mask for the duration of the flight & getting very little to no service on board then i would definitely prefer to take a direct flight....

the situation worldwide is changing pretty quickly so we have no clue what situation we will be in in another 3 weeks time when i'm supposed to travel....its possible usa might start allowing transit through the eu or they may close down international flights altogether....all we can do at this time is to wait & watch....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Weird that India is not on the list, god knows what the CDC is using to decide the countries: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

If you are going to NYC you can't meet with business partners straight away, NY/NJ/CT require you to quarantine (just like when you arrive in India): https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
apparently the self quarantine doesn't apply for international travel from india because for some strange reason usa doesn't consider india a red zone....

That alone would be a reason to ask for the arbitration to be held via video conference... all my meetings with the EU and US authorities have moved to Skype or Webex since May. Works fine, although watching US commissioners you always see on a podium sitting in their living rooms is distracting.
there are some aspects of the arbitration that can't be held via online conference....cross examination of a witness being one of them....so the arbitrator is unwilling to hold any part of the hearing online because he claims that if we are required to gather for one part of the hearing then we may as well hold the hearing over the course of a few days & finish it off....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:44 am

OCIs can travel right now. What's going to happen in November - who knows...
I still don't think all OCI holders are free to go to India just now.... i think the restrictions are still there.
Do you have any info that all OCIs can travel to India?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
apparently the self quarantine doesn't apply for international travel from india because for some strange reason usa doesn't consider india a red zone....

there are some aspects of the arbitration that can't be held via online conference....cross examination of a witness being one of them....so the arbitrator is unwilling to hold any part of the hearing online because he claims that if we are required to gather for one part of the hearing then we may as well hold the hearing over the course of a few days & finish it off....
Isn't it considered less effective to cross examine someone if the person is wearing a mask since you essentially can't see facial expressions? OTOH, you lose most body language information on zoom meetings.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I still don't think all OCI holders are free to go to India just now.... i think the restrictions are still there.
Do you have any info that all OCIs can travel to India?
Not all OCIs. There are plenty of T&Cs about the type of OCI. However family emergencies (including aged parents needing help/support) counts.

https://boi.gov.in/content/advisory-...ted-covid-19-0

However, given how things keep changing and how unsupportive the airlines have been through this it might not be a wise idea to plan/book tickets right now.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:18 am

Not all OCIs. There are plenty of T&Cs about the type of OCI. However family emergencies (including aged parents needing help/support) counts.

https://boi.gov.in/content/advisory-...ted-covid-19-0

However, given how things keep changing and how unsupportive the airlines have been through this it might not be a wise idea to plan/book tickets right now.
Ah, yes, these were the restrictions they placed.
Yes, absolutely, one should not make plans to go to India just for the heck of it...
Needless to say, an OCI will have to trek to the nearest embassy / consulate and get "permission" to be placed in to a "travel-approved OCI" category.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it considered less effective to cross examine someone if the person is wearing a mask since you essentially can't see facial expressions? OTOH, you lose most body language information on zoom meetings.
facial expression & body language is not really a concern....the fact that cannot be controlled on an online hearing is if the witness is being coached by the opposite counsel or anyone else....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:41 pm

Yes but there will be a 2 week quarantine - 1 week govt. facility & 1 week home when returning...
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but there will be a 2 week quarantine - 1 week govt. facility & 1 week home when returning...
which is just one more reason why i don't want to travel....

also, i wonder if that is also applicable for those who have already recovered from covid....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:14 pm

which is just one more reason why i don't want to travel....

also, i wonder if that is also applicable for those who have already recovered from covid....
No that’s not an exemption criteria. However you might qualify under one of these:

“Pregnant women, for those who have suffered death in the family, those suffering from serious illness and parents of children below 10 years of age or only transiting DEL”

How you prove you have a kid... I don’t know. Perhaps a birth certificate? Or maybe purchasing an onward ticket from DEL....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No that’s not an exemption criteria. However you might qualify under one of these:

“Pregnant women, for those who have suffered death in the family, those suffering from serious illness and parents of children below 10 years of age or only transiting DEL”

How you prove you have a kid... I don’t know. Perhaps a birth certificate? Or maybe purchasing an onward ticket from DEL....
both my kids are under 10 so that works for me....however, i'm still trying my best to postpone my trip so hopefully i won't have to travel anytime in the near future....
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Govt facility not mandatory - you can book one of the Aerocity hotels.. I've booked the marriott..
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by galaticos
Govt facility not mandatory - you can book one of the Aerocity hotels.. I've booked the marriott..
So these guidelines came out in the last couple of days. The term they've used is "institutional quarantine". It is quite possible that the govt. doesn't have so much space in their facilities to quarantine everyone who is hopping on a plane to DEL. So they will probably be using nearby govt. designated hotels and other facilities.

As the skies open up and we have more and more flights that come in... I suspect many of the airport hotels designated for this will also become full fairly quickly.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 22, 2020 at 4:01 am
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by galaticos
what rate did you get at the marriott????

& more importantly (since this is ft), does the rate qualify as an eligible rate to earn points & night credit????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.