Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help. Stuck in India. Need to get back to US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by galaticos
Just booked DEL-ORD-DEL on AI for 12th August and return on 31st. Booked as 2 one-ways, same PNR, two ticket nos
Also echoing Keyser's question - What type of US Visa / Residency status do you hold?

In order to book Two one-ways in one single PNR (2 eticket numbers) - I am guessing a travel agent will be needed to ticket it that way?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Are there are still restrictions on OCI travel to India, or can OCI travel to India for any reason? My friend who is US-based OCI wants to visit elderly parents in November.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Are there are still restrictions on OCI travel to India, or can OCI travel to India for any reason? My friend who is US-based OCI wants to visit elderly parents in November.
As far as I understand - there are restrictions with respect to which OCI can travel to India now.
However, will be interesting to see what India does from Aug-1st....as the Travel "Bubbles" get established further.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
OCIs can travel right now. What's going to happen in November - who knows...
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Thank you for the help! Since your wife did not actually go, it is not clear if the airline will accept a generic e-mail confirmation without any name on it. Maybe there is direct communication between the GoI and Air India, who knows.

Thankfully I don't have to go now, only trying to be prepared just in case.

Not sure if a quarantine prevents you from leaving the country before the quarantine ends, if one can show a ticket for the return.
A person from the Indian consulate confirmed it was valid along with a travel agent who helped people travel during this crisis.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
are you traveling on a visa (if so then what type) or are you a usa resident/citizen????
I'm permanent resident.. but one friend on H1B went on DEL-EWR yesterday..
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Also echoing Keyser's question - What type of US Visa / Residency status do you hold?

In order to book Two one-ways in one single PNR (2 eticket numbers) - I am guessing a travel agent will be needed to ticket it that way?
I'm PR and Yes, a TA made the booking.. the feedback from TA was dont take UA (I wanted to avoid AI) as its still possible for their flights to get cancelled..
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I'm permanent resident.. but one friend on H1B went on DEL-EWR yesterday..
i know a bunch of green card & h1b holders who have taken the ai flights over the last couple of months....would be interesting to know if anyone with a b1/b2 visa will be allowed to travel in the foreseeable future....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
i know a bunch of green card & h1b holders who have taken the ai flights over the last couple of months....would be interesting to know if anyone with a b1/b2 visa will be allowed to travel in the foreseeable future....
USA is not discriminating between visa types - just citizens/PR/immediate family vs. non-US citizens. Non US being not allowed if they visited the list of countries in the last 14 days. I have not seen contradicting information on this anywhere.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/in/fly...merica-waivers

Only India currently has restrictions on the types of visas that are being accepted for travel to India.

For Indian business travelers (can’t imagine tourists traveling right now) - the interstate travel restrictions are going to be a huge huge hassle. For instance if you go to Texas and want to fly back to India from EWR (assuming you’re not just transiting EWR), you have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in NJ!

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 21, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are normally resident in the US you are allowed in. Touristic (B1) is not allowed in, and frankly shouldn't be. Both India and the US are currently in severe pandemic conditions.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:10 am

"Touristic (B1) is not allowed in, and frankly shouldn't be."

That's just not the rule. If you've spent the past 14 days in India, hold a B1 visa, and can fly from India to the U.S. without transiting a "red" country then you're eligible for entry to the U.S. subject to the usual immigration procedures always in effect. India is not a "red" country under U.S. rules.

But try to come from Germany with a B1 visa and you won't even get on the plane.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:11 am

I'm PR and Yes, a TA made the booking.. the feedback from TA was dont take UA (I wanted to avoid AI) as its still possible for their flights to get cancelled..
THank you!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you are normally resident in the US you are allowed in. Touristic (B1) is not allowed in, and frankly shouldn't be. Both India and the US are currently in severe pandemic conditions.
all the information i have come across seems to indicate that b1/b2 visa holders are allowed as long as they are not transiting via the schengen area & a few other countries that usa considers red zones....

this is the problem i am currently facing....i have a trip to nyc scheduled in mid august....the flight is on klm via ams so there is no way i would be allowed into the country since usa has banned transit through that zone....this is the reason i am currently using to get out of traveling since i don't want to be anywhere near a plane or airport for the next few months at least....the issue lies in the fact that the case i am currently arguing in nyc will become time barred if not decided before mid september so all parties are keen to conclude it in august....

my client is now suggesting cancelling the klm ticket & flying direct on either ua or ai....but if b1/b2 visa holders are not allowed in then that gives me the perfect opportunity to push the hearing back by another month to september....i'm hoping things will be better at that point than they are now (wishful thinking but one can always dream)....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:22 am

my client is now suggesting cancelling the klm ticket & flying direct on either ua or ai....but if b1/b2 visa holders are not allowed in then that gives me the perfect opportunity to push the hearing back by another month to september....i'm hoping things will be better at that point than they are now (wishful thinking but one can always dream)....
You can fly UA, AI EY, EK etc. Of course given how miserable flying is right now I'd prefer direct.

All you can hope for given the number of cases in India, that the US adds India to the list of banned countries.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 6:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Weird that India is not on the list, god knows what the CDC is using to decide the countries: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

If you are going to NYC you can't meet with business partners straight away, NY/NJ/CT require you to quarantine (just like when you arrive in India): https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

That alone would be a reason to ask for the arbitration to be held via video conference... all my meetings with the EU and US authorities have moved to Skype or Webex since May. Works fine, although watching US commissioners you always see on a podium sitting in their living rooms is distracting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.