Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HDFC Diners Club Credit Card (ex Jet Airways cobrand)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by L_D_M
What's the monthly bonus? The vouchers from Bookmyshow, Tata Cliq etc?
Yes.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I am keeping the DCB coz:
1. The 3.3% reward rate is best in business.
2. 10x on smart buy has enough options to hit close to 45k each month easily (especially with the insta vouchers)
3. Sometimes I can use 10x partners
4, Amazon Prime is definitely valuable
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I wasn't talking about getting rid of DCB. I was just hoping they didn't have such a meaningless Annual Scheme which has very little real value.

However, Prestige is best in business @ 4%. However DCB's 33% is just awesome.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I wasn't talking about getting rid of DCB. I was just hoping they didn't have such a meaningless Annual Scheme which has very little real value.

However, Prestige is best in business @ 4%. However DCB's 33% is just awesome.
​​​​​I understand you were not taking about getting rid of DCB, I was just saying why/how I find it valuable

Which airlines are you transferring prestige miles to in order to get 1Rs/mile value? I haven't found 1rs/mile with sq/ba?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
​​​​​Which airlines are you transferring prestige miles to in order to get 1Rs/mile value? I haven't found 1rs/mile with sq/ba?
BA screws you with the YQ and poor value unless doing intra Asia travel. I’ve never used my miles with them. And of course there is the fraudulent GST charges.

I use it mostly through SQ. I can’t remember the last time I got less than Rs. 3/mile. I think (conservatively) I average anywhere between Rs. 2.5/5-6 per mile with them for J & F.

With TK, I’ve It’s been in the Rs. 2-3 kind of range - flying to EU.

VX - would be around Rs. 3-4/mile or so, or maybe a little more.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:47 am

With TK, I’ve It’s been in the Rs. 2-3 kind of range - flying to EU.
That's impressive - Rs 2-3 despite the high surcharges and fees. But I guess TK is at least a little better in that regard than LH and LX when redeeming SQ miles.

I've got good value for my Diners Black points on SQ itself, and on QR and CX (using Avios) in the past. QR availability on BA seems to have got ...... since, and surcharges are through the roof from what I can see.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:05 am

That's impressive - Rs 2-3 despite the high surcharges and fees. But I guess TK is at least a little better in that regard than LH and LX when redeeming SQ miles.

I've got good value for my Diners Black points on SQ itself, and on QR and CX (using Avios) in the past. QR availability on BA seems to have got ...... since, and surcharges are through the roof from what I can see.
I’m talking about redeeming directly with TK. Not flying TK on SQ’s charts. TK mileage requirements are very low. More than compensates for the YQ (which isn’t as bad as LX/LH/BA YQ anyways.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:42 pm

Thanks PiperAtGatesofDawn & L_D_M,

I will take a look at SQ and TK again.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m talking about redeeming directly with TK. Not flying TK on SQ’s charts. TK mileage requirements are very low. More than compensates for the YQ (which isn’t as bad as LX/LH/BA YQ anyways.
I think TK is the hidden gem in the Citi India transfer partners. The saver level awards on their own metal is just super priced and amazing to get to anywhere in the EU. I also like the option of paying more miles for a guaranteed seat especially since the guaranteed miles requirements are probably less than what others want for India-EU redemption.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I will take a look at SQ and TK again.
Depending on where you're going and when every airlines (incredibly even AI... ) has their sweet spots.

Citi's value is the large number of partnerships they have - they've covered the 3 major alliances and a bunch of other great players. That significantly improves your chances of getting great deals.

With Diners getting most of my business... the biggest challenge I have is that it takes me a few years to build up a large enough mileage balance with Citi. That forces me to go with SQ whether I like it or not most of the time. I wish DCB would expand their partners like they had in their glory days.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:38 am

I’m talking about redeeming directly with TK.
Originally Posted by avneeshj
I think TK is the hidden gem in the Citi India transfer partners. The saver level awards on their own metal is just super priced and amazing to get to anywhere in the EU.

BTW, I've never had any luck finding saver award availability on TK. It's always 120,000 miles return to Western Europe and something absurd like $800 of YQ. I must be making some sort of basic error.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:52 am

BTW, I've never had any luck finding saver award availability on TK. It's always 120,000 miles return to Western Europe and something absurd like $800 of YQ. I must be making some sort of basic error.
So the Guaranteed Awards is poor value IMHO and I’d never do it. You can get *A seats for saver miles instead.

Western EU in your example in saver would be 60k miles + 40-50k INR. An excellent deal.

With TK awards I’ve noticed a couple of things... which is the biggest stumbling block for booking with them!
1. TK usually has great availability for every sector except IST-BOM/DEL.
2. It’s worse for BOM than DEL. And availability is worse on the inbound vs. the outbound.

So my strategy with TK is something like this:
1. Use EF to identify availability for each individual leg of my journey and fine tune my strategy & dates accordingly
Since their website functionality is very limited I get 2 one ways rather than a return ticket (costs the same). The website cannot do mixed classes or I think even Standard + Guaranteed in a single booking
3. If all that doesn’t work - book *A awards through TK - same mileage required
L_D_M likes this.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Feb 29, 2020 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:58 am

So my strategy with TK is something like this:
1. Use EF to identify availability for each individual leg of my journey and fine tune my strategy & dates accordingly
Thanks. So you mean to say you look on EF for availability in the saver classes and once you see that available, go to the TK site to ticket?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:25 am

Thanks. So you mean to say you look on EF for availability in the saver classes and once you see that available, go to the TK site to ticket?
Yes.

I don't know if Guaranteed Seat has a different class code. EF will show you saver space.
L_D_M likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Western EU in your example in saver would be 60k miles + 40-50k INR. An excellent deal.
the yq still seems quite high....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.