Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nittany987
Had an aggravating, but fruitful exercise on the Hyatt BRG merry go round. Was looking for GH Hong Kong, and kept finding lower rates on olotels, hoteltravel, hotelsclick. etc... Think $375USD vs. $417USD on Hyatt. Would call in and some were immediate "no", others required ~15 minutes of investigation before refusal because of either voucher system or membership requirements (pretty loose definitions as others have mentioned).

Finally, after reading upthread on alternatives to hoteltravel, called in with one of those. Was put on hold for 30 minutes while the agent and her supervisor were 'investigating'. Came back finally with a "no" because "the site does not confirm bookings until 10 days before the stay, at which time your card is charged." I asked where this was and was told in the terms and conditions. More out of general frustration, I pressed a bit and asked specifically where? The agent said it's split between the FAQs and the T&C's. I opened up the FAQs where I noticed the website said "your reservations are always confirmed." I asked again where exactly was the language around reservations not being guaranteed until 10 days prior. The agent put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and said her supervisor must have been the one who had seen it; back on hold I go. 10 minutes later the agent comes back and says "the supervisor can't find it anymore, so we've decided to grant the guarantee as a courtesy"...

Long story short, ended up with a nice 35% discount and then applied the diamond suite night upgrades... So I'm happy paying ~$285 for a room that Hyatt is selling for $1000 USD.

That said, I strongly suspect shenanigans on the part of agent and/or supervisor (especially around the 'missing' confirmation language) but happy with the outcome here.

Had the exact same experience last night for the same hotel for a stay this coming January
The rate I found on Olotels is 2460 HKD instead of the 3800 HKD Hyatt.com is asking
After 20mn investigation the claim was denied because the website supposedly does not update its rates everyday . When I asked the agent how he knew that he referred to a paragraph in the T&C stating that the currency exchange rates
was not updated constantly. When I mentioned that this had nothing to do with the room rate he no longer was willing to discuss it further and hung up
So much bad faith and rudeness is unacceptable.

I actually made the booking using the website and will call back today to claim again. They no longer can pretend that the website does not guarantee the rate.
See how it turns out

By the way if I keep that booking as is, can I still earn points on GP?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by thierry
Had the exact same experience last night for the same hotel for a stay this coming January
The rate I found on Olotels is 2460 HKD instead of the 3800 HKD Hyatt.com is asking
After 20mn investigation the claim was denied because the website supposedly does not update its rates everyday . When I asked the agent how he knew that he referred to a paragraph in the T&C stating that the currency exchange rates
was not updated constantly. When I mentioned that this had nothing to do with the room rate he no longer was willing to discuss it further and hung up
So much bad faith and rudeness is unacceptable.
I had similar grief with Olotels a couple of months back. Hyatt claimed that the rates weren't confirmed when you book and that they could actually change post-booking. So I emailed Olotels and got this response:

"As to our conversation by phone, i here come forward will the clarifications needed to the Terms and Conditions section on the web page. The payment will be made for the rate that you are displayed at the time of booking; consider also charges bank might apply to credit/debit cards. If reservation has not been confirmed by voucher or confirmation, the rate might vary from that point on. A reservation confirmed will have same price for all its validity."

That email is sitting in my inbox ready to fire to BRG next time they pipe up.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:47 am

Wow, I hope this is all overblown...I see a lot of indication that Hyatt is becoming like IHG with their BRG, which is to say using any ridiculous reason to not honor claims left and right. One of the things I really liked about Hyatt was that their BRG was not the most generous in the world (no free nights or anything) but was still solid, and that they generally respected the terms and granted them when you met the conditions, without trying to find absurd ways to wiggle out of honoring it.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
I'm on the phone for a BRG at the Hyatt Regency SFO airport:

- hoteltravel.com (denied as you need to register?)
- aavacations.com (same reason???, though aavacations.com worked well for me before with Hyatt)
- galahotels (same reason, needs a membership?)
- otel.com (they matched the rate there)
[...]
I have been strongly evaluating switching to Hyatt due to generous BRG, but I really don't like their shady practices. Using Galahotels.com registration is a part of booking process. SPG validates Galahotels rates. It seems to be reaching the point where Hyatt will sell rooms at cheaper rates to "registration only" 3rd party booking websites and deny BRG claims. I wanted to book 4 nights stay at Park Hyatt Dubai 29JAN-2FEB, Galahotel price is EUR 1500 including taxes, Hyatt website dirham equivalent is EUR 2000. BRG would set me at EUR 1200 but in this case I will look elsewhere.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Only about two cents a minute using Skype.
Isn't the BRG an 800 number? Free on Skype, Google Talk and Vonage mobile app.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Just got off the phone 44mins using olotels 548euro PH Paris vs 660euro on Hyatt.com . Denied because olotels doesn't confirm room type and is not gauranteed .

What rubbish
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Haven't had too many problems with BRGs. We all know Galahotels and Olotels are not allowed. Hyatt BRG is now much easier than IHG, which is near impossible, especially as can only be done by email.

Have recently got GH Berlin for 4 dates and HR Dusseldorf for 3 different dates, each for around €110-130. Got to get those qualifying stays in early...
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Made some pretty good BRG's in Japan, using Expedia and another site (can't remember now) - stay in March:

Osaka - 9,177 JPY per night (two nights) plus tax
Tokyo Regency - 14,563 JPY per night (one night) plus tax

Not bad.

This is for double occupancy, as it does matter in Japan.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by price123
Haven't had too many problems with BRGs. We all know Galahotels and Olotels are not allowed. Hyatt BRG is now much easier than IHG, which is near impossible, especially as can only be done by email.

Have recently got GH Berlin for 4 dates and HR Dusseldorf for 3 different dates, each for around €110-130. Got to get those qualifying stays in early...
I am not saying Hyatt's BRG doesn't work. I am saying we should not agree to play games according to chain rules. Is Hyatt stupid enough that someone will book a rate 30% more expensive only to earn Hyatt status / points? This is what my example of Galahotels was about. I simply can't justify to pay EUR 2000 vs 1500 or 1200 (if BRG approved). Maybe some of you don't care paying on behalf of the company, I don't know. The issue here is some shady BRG conditions of 3rd party website registration requirement in order to complete the booking. If Hyatt is fair enough they would not sell the rooms cheaper to some 3rd party websites that requires registration, or they would at least honour them. If this is the price you are guys paying for the loyalty, then I screw it and book on 3rd party websites. On a long run I am sure I will be better of saving 30% instead of paying 30% more and earning points.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Isn't the BRG an 800 number?
Yes. Can you call an 800 number for free from overseas?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:37 pm

Did my first BRG with Hyatt last night.

3 Nights @ Hyatt Regency Chicago. Best available rate on Hyatt.com was 103 (non-refundable). Matched to a rate of $72.30 on booking.com (also non-refundable).

Was on hold for almost 30 minutes before someone picked up. Took about 50 minutes soup to nuts. Is that a normal hold time? If so, that's crazy.

One other thing that surprised me is that BRG rate they booked me into is refundable with 24 hour cancellation without penalty? Is that normal? I assumed that it would be a non-refundable rate since the rate I was matching was non-refundable.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WanderLuster
Did my first BRG with Hyatt last night.

3 Nights @ Hyatt Regency Chicago. Best available rate on Hyatt.com was 103 (non-refundable). Matched to a rate of $72.30 on booking.com (also non-refundable).

Was on hold for almost 30 minutes before someone picked up. Took about 50 minutes soup to nuts. Is that a normal hold time? If so, that's crazy.

One other thing that surprised me is that BRG rate they booked me into is refundable with 24 hour cancellation without penalty? Is that normal? I assumed that it would be a non-refundable rate since the rate I was matching was non-refundable.
My experience is usually no more than 5-10 minutes before someone picks up and no longer than 20-30 minutes from dialing to hanging up. I have had a couple go for about 50 minutes, but those are not typical. It used to be that BRGs would end up being refundable, but they're being stricter about it these days, and it's much rarer to get a BRG booked into a refundable rate based on a third party's nonrefundable rate.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yes. Can you call an 800 number for free from overseas?
You can with Skype
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by stiwi
I am not saying Hyatt's BRG doesn't work. I am saying we should not agree to play games according to chain rules. Is Hyatt stupid enough that someone will book a rate 30% more expensive only to earn Hyatt status / points? This is what my example of Galahotels was about. I simply can't justify to pay EUR 2000 vs 1500 or 1200 (if BRG approved). Maybe some of you don't care paying on behalf of the company, I don't know. The issue here is some shady BRG conditions of 3rd party website registration requirement in order to complete the booking. If Hyatt is fair enough they would not sell the rooms cheaper to some 3rd party websites that requires registration, or they would at least honour them. If this is the price you are guys paying for the loyalty, then I screw it and book on 3rd party websites. On a long run I am sure I will be better of saving 30% instead of paying 30% more and earning points.
For us, we book qualifying rates in order to attain status. The complimentary upgrades, club access etc are worth a lot, but it's different for everyone. However, we often book 1 night qualifying and the rest non-qualifying of a multi-night stay in order to get the stay for diamond qualification but save a bit.

For your dates there is a BRG available. I will PM you to hope it doesn't die by the time you see it.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:09 pm

BRG and room occupancy rate

Searched through this thread and couldn't find an answer. I've done BRGs before, but this is a tad different and wanted to get some input and educate myself before I called Hyatt.

Does BRG work for a rate with more than the standard double occupancy. For example, I want to book one room with 4 adults and when I search around I get this:

Hyatt rate for 2 people is $200
Hyatt rate for 4 people is $400
Orbitz rate for 2 people $200
Orbitz rate for 4 people is $400
Hotels.com rate for 2 people is $200
Hotels.com rate for 2 people is $200

Does anyone have insight into whether it would it be possible to BRG with the Hotels.com $200 rate for 4 people against the Hyatt rate for 4 people at $400?

The T&C's says: "If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt Hotel ("Competing Rate") that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on http://www.hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay), then prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on http://www.hyatt.com, please call Hyatt Hotels & Resorts"

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.