Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
They Hyatt Regency Chicago is $207/night on March 26-28 at Hyatt.com. Getaroom.com has it for $111.71/night. I just called to make a BRG claim and was told that Getaroom is on their "list of sites that are not allowed." When I asked why, the agent said that they don't provide instant confirmations. While I was on the phone, I made a booking using getaroom--it was cancellable--and got an instant confirmation! When I mentioned this, I was referred to some part of getaroom's website that said confirmations may take a few hours.

So, it didn't matter that I got an instant confirmation. All that mattered was that, on rare occasions, a confirmation might not be instant. What a joke!
Doesn't take long for them to put a website on a no go list, I was able to get 2 successful BRG claims in recent weeks using getaroom.com.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've made this thread a wiki, perhaps people can put the sites and the date (accepted or denied), it would be helpful for other members to get an idea which sites may or may not work.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
I've made this thread a wiki, perhaps people can put the sites and the date (accepted or denied), it would be helpful for other members to get an idea which sites may or may not work.
I just entered mine. Feel free to edit what I put there.

Originally Posted by sxc234
Doesn't take long for them to put a website on a no go list, I was able to get 2 successful BRG claims in recent weeks using getaroom.com.
I was thinking about calling again to see if a different agent had a different list, if such a list really exists.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:06 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by sxc234
Good Afternoon and thanks for pointing this out.

I understand exactly what you mean when it'd be nice to have a blacklist of sorts in place, but due to the nature of third party reservation sites, it may cause more harm than good when a site changes their terms to go from being eligible to ineligible (or vice versa). Human error does happen from time to time, but the BRG agents are supposed to be validating (or invalidating) everything on a case-by-case basis and reading the fine print on every reservation (hence why these calls take a bit longer than normal reservations).

The terms and conditions are transparent enough, but I fear are a bit vague at times. The best example of this are "membership sites". This includes free memberships that require no more personal info than an email account. A lot of the invalid sites we check that are invalidated based on this requirement are the ones that automatically enroll you and create a login with your provided details. To keep good terms between ourselves and the third parties I'm referring to, I won't cite any examples, but a lot of the people reading this thread have probably encountered this on at least one occasion. The third parties that are VERY opaque in their policy (to the point where it's not even in their T&C and you have to find out the hard way - booking a room) have to be periodically checked by management to see if they are still enrolling in a membership without consent. If it does not specify in their terms, the agent will go off of their most recent update from management. The others are supposed to be looked into by the BRG agent.

To sum up the T&C of Hyatt's BRG policy in laymans terms (please don't take it as gospel, but it is a good guideline), the agent is looking for:

Same Hyatt? (Physical address is a dead giveaway, we can't match "4 star hotel in downtown Chicago" that may or may not be our property)

Same room? (King vs Double vs Ocean View, etc.)

Same dates? (Priceline for tonight plus Priceline for tomorrow would be considered two claims; you can't just compare that with Hyatt.com's rate offered for today/tomorrow without splitting it identically on both sites)

Same price? If converted currency, is the rate within 1% to the point where the discrepancy is likely just due to currency conversion? Is there an extra adult fee? Hyatt almost always bakes the extra adult fees into the base rate, whereas some third parties like to tack it on in the taxes & fees section. For properties in tax-inclusive jurisdictions, we will be measuring tax-inclusive rates.

Membership required? See above.

Immediately Bookable? A lot of smaller third parties that can't book directly into our system can operate on a delay - so much so that they take your info, request the booking from us, and if it's still available our system returns a confirmation number. If not, they return to you with either the new availability or the lack thereof. This entire process, if not instant, is not considered immediately bookable. Example verbiage: "You will receive a confirmation within X hours/days".

Of course the BRG T&C is the thorough outline for the program, but this is how I mentally arrange it.

Thank you so much for helping us find these outlier rates. We'd obviously rather have your business directly and there's nothing wrong with you as guests demanding the best possible room rates from our website. Please bear in mind that like all of our T&C, this BRG policy is subject to change. This post may not be relevant eventually, so please trust the agent you're speaking with. We're not out to get you, promise!

Safe travels and happy hunting on those BRGs,

Evan V
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
The terms and conditions are transparent enough, but I fear are a bit vague at times. The best example of this are "membership sites". This includes free memberships that require no more personal info than an email account. A lot of the invalid sites we check that are invalidated based on this requirement are the ones that automatically enroll you and create a login with your provided details. [...] The third parties that are VERY opaque in their policy (to the point where it's not even in their T&C and you have to find out the hard way - booking a room) have to be periodically checked by management to see if they are still enrolling in a membership without consent. If it does not specify in their terms, the agent will go off of their most recent update from management. The others are supposed to be looked into by the BRG agent.
A site that creates a membership based on information supplied in a booking is not a "membership site" and Hyatt should stop treating it this way. This is the weaseliest excuse I have ever heard for denying a BRG.

Here's how you can identify a "membership site":
1) The general public is not allowed to make a reservation
2) Membership has some sort of qualification, like age, location, or shared interest
3) Membership costs something

A site which allows bookings by the general public and just happens to create a membership as a byproduct of making a booking is NOT a membership site in any sense of the word. Stop treating it as such.

Here's the best question to ask when evaluating whether a site is a membership site: What human (of legal age) would NOT be eligible to make a reservation here? If the answer is "no one," then there is no membership.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
A site that creates a membership based on information supplied in a booking is not a "membership site" and Hyatt should stop treating it this way. This is the weaseliest excuse I have ever heard for denying a BRG.

Here's how you can identify a "membership site":
1) The general public is not allowed to make a reservation
2) Membership has some sort of qualification, like age, location, or shared interest
3) Membership costs something

A site which allows bookings by the general public and just happens to create a membership as a byproduct of making a booking is NOT a membership site in any sense of the word. Stop treating it as such.

Here's the best question to ask when evaluating whether a site is a membership site: What human (of legal age) would NOT be eligible to make a reservation here? If the answer is "no one," then there is no membership.
I absolutely understand where you're coming from, but these sites have a different working relationship with Hyatt than the non-membership sites and these are our current policies towards it. With that being said, it's only toxic if I continue further and I apologize but I cannot bring any more to the table when it comes to discussing the "publicly available vs association vs membership" verbiage.

Warm regards,

Evan V
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:27 pm

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, but these sites have a different working relationship with Hyatt than the non-membership sites and these are our current policies towards it. With that being said, it's only toxic if I continue further and I apologize but I cannot bring any more to the table when it comes to discussing the "publicly available vs association vs membership" verbiage.

Warm regards,

Evan V
With all due respect, having BRG program and making 90% of the third-party websites ineligible is a joke. You are not giving out free night, still 5% less discount than Marriott and agents/T&Cs are pain to work with. Good luck with that! It's time you either stop with the (borderline) false advertising completely (aka Hyatt BRG) or revise your T&Cs that make no sense at this time.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Best Rate Guarantees

Happy Saturday FlyerTalkers!

I just wanted to provide some additional clarification on Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee policy.

At this time, any site that automatically creates a membership is an ineligible site. The site creates a membership, and requires signing in to review the booking or to create any new bookings. There are sites that will let you book as a guest, and those would still be eligible for a BRG.

We are constantly evaluating the process and we welcome your feedback.

If you have any questions regarding a site or BRG process, I am happy to discuss or provide assistance.

Safe travels,

Dana Mowrey
Guest Relations Manager
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond

I just wanted to provide some additional clarification on Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee policy.

At this time, any site that automatically creates a membership is an ineligible site. The site creates a membership, and requires signing in to review the booking or to create any new bookings. There are sites that will let you book as a guest, and those would still be eligible for a BRG.

If you have any questions regarding a site or BRG process, I am happy to discuss or provide assistance.

Safe travels,

Dana Mowrey
Guest Relations Manager
You need to evaluate pointshound.com again. They do not require a membership, and their terms do not specify anything about a membership requirement. I just made a refundable reservation as a test on poinsthound.com AND it did not require me to or automatically create a membership account for me as part of the booking process.

Get it right and educate your BRG agents.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
First I have to said, the clarification of an official Hyatt GP concierge on the BRG post is really welcomed and appreciated ^
Some other chains are just denying claims for more silly reasons and nobody comes to FT to explain anything.
However, the "voucher" or the "membership" thing is a huge weakness of Hyatt BRG and, as I am concerned, is a source of losing business for Hyatt because there is 2 points which are not acceptable IMO:
- when I know I can go on www.othersite.com and book directly the same room for 80$ which is sold 120$ on Hyatt.com, there is no way I will book the room on Hyatt.com and at this time, I have no interest to book specifically an Hyatt hotel.
- the vast majority of the website which are blacklisted by Hyatt are accepted without any issue by SPG (worldwide) and Marriott (US/Canada). So Hyatt are below the competition when it comes to BRG...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:34 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
At this time, any site that automatically creates a membership is an ineligible site.
This is contrary to the actual written terms of Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee. The word "membership" doesn't ever appear in the BRG terms and conditions. The actual terms only indicate that the rate must be "publicly available." If a rate is available to be booked by anyone, I believe we can all agree that rate is "publicly available."

It seems the BRG department is arbitrarily crafting rules that are more restrictive the published terms and conditions as a way to deny BRG's that should otherwise be allowed.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
This is contrary to the actual written terms of Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee. The word "membership" doesn't ever appear in the BRG terms and conditions. The actual terms only indicate that the rate must be "publicly available." If a rate is available to be booked by anyone, I believe we can all agree that rate is "publicly available."

It seems the BRG department is arbitrarily crafting rules that are more restrictive the published terms and conditions as a way to deny BRG's that should otherwise be allowed.
+1

Perhaps to make this process truly transparent, Hyatt could list the blacklisted sites and the reason they are blacklisted in the BRG T&Cs. Based on my recent experiences--0/4 since June 2013 on BRG attempts--I'm beginning to think that all it takes to get on the list is having a lower rate than Hyatt.com.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
This is the one that annoys me. I have argued with about 4 levels of people by phone. I think the only thing we can agree to do is disagree.

The other one is e.g. rates on Emirates.com, which BRG say are a travel agent negotiated rate thus not eligible. However, they are openly available and the terms only say "unpublished, negotiated rates" are not eligible, not those published and bookable through another site.

However, I still have around a 90% success rate with requested BRGs, so pretty happy with the program, unlike with IHG.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Safe travels,

Dana Mowrey
Guest Relations Manager
As a Diamond GP member who is generally thrilled with Hyatt, I just want to add my two cents that this interpretation is just plain ridiculous. As mentioned above, the word "membership" doesn't even appear in the Hyatt terms. The verbiage is "publicly available." Hyatt BRG is claiming that a website that lets anyone in the world book and just happens to send you a password after booking is not publicly available. It's not even that I disagree with this interpretation—I simply don't understand Hyatt's thought process here.

If you don't want to offer a best rate guarantee, don't offer one. But just one experience trying to match a rate last year was enough to leave a very bad taste in my mouth. I strongly suggest that corporate think more about the customer experience of the BRG when making these policy decisions.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:34 pm
Used to be highman123

I too have my issues with Hyatt/ Hilton/ Club Carlson claiming a Best Rate Guarantee but not honoring its spirit.

It seems the marketing statement is all that counts. Let's see if we can get the general press to write about it. Maybe some more publicity will make the BRG management think to either abolish or honor the BRG.

Hyatt has produced a lot of goodwill (incl. me for a time) with most people here - would be a shame to waste it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.