Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by danger
Even though soonerfanatic didn't have the rate from the start, I would have followed the same process (i) to make a point and (ii) to let them know that the program is flawed.
It makes sense that he went to ace website just in case while on the phone. We've all spent hours on the phone, so just depends on what bone we all want to pick.

The cancellation policy is what got me with BRG. I got a more favourable cancellation policy with the exact same rate but they would not match it.. But I guess I applied Diamond Suite Upgrades to the reservation.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
It makes sense that he went to ace website just in case while on the phone. We've all spent hours on the phone, so just depends on what bone we all want to pick.

The cancellation policy is what got me with BRG. I got a more favourable cancellation policy with the exact same rate but they would not match it.. But I guess I applied Diamond Suite Upgrades to the reservation.
Unfortunately (ONCE AGAIN!) I have tried this as well and without utilizing a Diamond upgrade... They simply have not been willing to match cancellation policies at least for me.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
What's more concerning than their inconsistent application of what is a competing site is the fact that their reasoning of not qualifying is baseless, untrue, and a customer can't do anything about it.

Their reason that pointshound.com did not qualify was because it required membership, when it does not. Proven. And when I tried to get them to point me exactly to where it stated this on their site, they could not. Supposedly, management sent out email 6 months ago that pointshound.com did not qualify. 2 weeks ago, I just made a successful BRG claim using pointshound.com ...

Clear, consistent, and factual. NOT HYATT BRG.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:34 pm

Denied again for otel.com (membership). I was also denied olotels.com because of this in their T&Cs:

h) – Currency rates displayed on our website are not verified or guaranteed by Olotels as being accurate and should be used as guidelines only. Rates are not updated every day and actual rates may vary.

The agent suggested this meant you could book a rate that wasn't guaranteed and could change. To me, the clause suggests that non-USD rates (as it's a US website) are a guide only but the agent wasn't interested in listening.

On the upside I was successful with hoteltravel.com for a Park property that saved me almost 50%.
I was also denied olotels.com because, according to the Hyatt CSR, it is a membership site.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just booked a week at Andaz 5th Avenue NYC using hoteltravel.com.
Hyatt advanced purchase rate was $425
Hoteltravel.com was $394.64
So, ended up paying $315.71

So, Hyatt have moved the goal posts again re hoteltravel.com ???????
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Success with hotelopia.com.

This was a multi-night stay. Hotelopia priced each night individually and then totalled it all up; hyatt.com took the most expensive rate and applied it to all three nights, even though two nights were significantly cheaper. This price gouging cost Hyatt big time.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:32 am

This was a multi-night stay. Hotelopia priced each night individually and then totalled it all up; hyatt.com took the most expensive rate and applied it to all three nights, even though two nights were significantly cheaper. This price gouging cost Hyatt big time.
I would call back. They are supposed to give you the total cost.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond

The agent is supposed to average out the nightly cost, not pick the highest rate.
This is another example of a poorly trained agent.

Even though they give you their first name, when it comes to a popular name, knowing the name will not help in any way.
I suggest we start by asking for the code and report any mistake in order to weed them out.
Each agent has a code and has to provide it if you ask for it.

It's a waste of our time to have to call several times to get a BRG validated.
We need better service from that department.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by suite2suite
The agent is supposed to average out the nightly cost, not pick the highest rate.

Even though they give you their first name, when it comes to a popular name, knowing the name will not help in any way.
I suggest we start by asking for the code and report any mistake in order to weed them out.

Pretty sure OP meant that he thought Hyatt's rate for all three nights was its most expensive rate for the three-night period whereas the comparison site priced out each night individually, so OP was able to get a BRG (though Hyatt usually averages its rates for each night, so the true reason was probably just that Hyatt had a higher rate).
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by keirnna
I would call back. They are supposed to give you the total cost.
I didn't explain it proplery. Lawyertalk explains it better:

Originally Posted by suite2suite

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Pretty sure OP meant that he thought Hyatt's rate for all three nights was its most expensive rate for the three-night period whereas the comparison site priced out each night individually, so OP was able to get a BRG (though Hyatt usually averages its rates for each night, so the true reason was probably just that Hyatt had a higher rate).
To further explain, if I booked the nights individually, Hyatt was charging, for example, $100, $150 and $150. If I booked all three nights as one booking, Hyatt charged a total of $450 (ie. $150 for the first night as well as for the second and third) but hotelopia charged $400 (ie. pricing the nights individually and then totalling them up). If Hyatt had done the same thing then a BRG claim wouldn't have been possible.

I've known for some time that Hyatt plays this game (I thought only Hilton did) so I often book stays as individual nights for this reason.

On this occasion, it cost Hyatt a lot more than just $50, it cost them another 20% on top of that.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD

Why does it say on the website that the BRG hotline is available 24/7 when in reality it is not ? And when will we be able to submit these Online ?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by banzani
Why does it say on the website that the BRG hotline is available 24/7 when in reality it is not ? And when will we be able to submit these Online ?
I prefer to call a human for these anyway!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:00 am

Just booked 5 days at the Grand Hyatt in Singapore
Hyatt advanced purchase rate was $405 SGD
getaroom.com was $274
So, ended up paying $264
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Earlier this week I was denied hoteltravel.com because it requires an email address to make a reservation. Hmmmm. I pushed further and it came back to the 'you must be a member to make a reservation' excuse and because of that 'it's not a publicly available rate'.

It's perfectly clear from the dot point in the BRG FAQs that 'not publicly available' only applies to "Unpublished, negotiated rates with corporations, travel agencies, groups, associations or other rates that are specifically agreed upon by Hyatt and a specified and limited group".

So, is hoteltravel.com an "unpublished rate"? No. Clearly not.

Is it a "negotiated rate"? No.

"Corporations rate"? No.

"Travel agencies rate"? Presumably not.

"Groups"? No.

"Associations"? No.

"A specified limited group"? No.

It's perfectly clear that "not publicly available" refers to government rates or rates negotiated for IBM or your local PTA.

No agent can tell me what section of the public is specifically excluded from participating in rates that are offered by these websites that automatically sign you up to a membership. Name me one person on the planet who is not able to avail themselves of the hotetravel.com rate. Unlike a government rate (where you need to work for the government) or the IBM rate (where you need to be employed by IBM) or the PTA rate (where you must be a Mum or Dad serving sausages in a bun at the local fete), there is not one member of the public who is excluded from the hotetravel.com (and similar) rates.

Even if "Not publicly available" was taken out of this dot point and put as it's own limitation, a website that automatically signs you up as a member, without any restriction limiting any solitary person on the planet from using such a rate, would still be publicly available.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Park Hyatt Hamburg

Well, much like the previous poster, I got the bogus "membership site" excuse for Agoda. When I said that there was nowhere that required me to sign up. But, because I am an FT'er (and I knew that Agoda could be crapshoot), I had a backup that was only $8 higher than the Agoda rate. I had never heard of the site (and neither had the BRG people).

So here's how it went.

Call 1 - Details given, and then I was hung up on
Call 2 - Details given, but agent was showing a wildly cheaper rate for the HDR. Took a while to figure out she only had it for 1 adult. Once she upped it to 2 adults, rate went up ~$55 night to what I saw online (side note - $55 extra per night for a second adult, what the heck!)

Once she found that rate, got transferred to the BRG desk who confirmed what i had seen and then promptly denied Agoda. Gave the backup site and then was put on hold for about 20 minutes! She finally came back and approved it, but wanted me to know that if I had booked thru the competing site, I would have been charged a deposit (who cares - fully refundable rate). She confirmed the new rate and then I asked her to apply a Diamond Suite upgrade as well!

Hotel - Park Hyatt Hamburg (3 nights)
HDR - 239 EUR (330.20 USD)/night
Competing rate - 288.95 USD/night
BRG Rate - 167.33 EUR (~231 USD)/night

PM me if you want the other site name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.