Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Why is it disgraceful? I'm no Hyatt apologist and love BRG claims as much as the next guy, but if the member is able to book a rate with Hyatt that is the same or lower than the 3rd party rate - and therefore the BRG claim is denied - that is hardly a disgrace.

Disgraceful is Hyatt's coming up with any excuse to deny the third party rate qualifies at all.
This is disgraceful because Hyatt denies lots of claim because they said "the rate is not available to the general public" (even when "the general public" just have to enter an email address to be eligible), and now use a rate from their website which is definitely not available for the general public (you have to be a member AND have some status) to deny a claim. Disgraceful is still a polite way to describe that IMO...

BTW can you claim a BRG without GP number and add your number a couple of day after the claim is validated ?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
This is disgraceful because Hyatt denies lots of claim because they said "the rate is not available to the general public" (even when "the general public" just have to enter an email address to be eligible), and now use a rate from their website which is definitely not available for the general public (you have to be a member AND have some status) to deny a claim. Disgraceful is still a polite way to describe that IMO...

BTW can you claim a BRG without GP number and add your number a couple of day after the claim is validated ?
I assume that the minute you give them your name and information it will pull it up....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Why is it disgraceful? I'm no Hyatt apologist and love BRG claims as much as the next guy, but if the member is able to book a rate with Hyatt that is the same or lower than the 3rd party rate - and therefore the BRG claim is denied - that is hardly a disgrace.

Disgraceful is Hyatt's coming up with any excuse to deny the third party rate qualifies at all.
Well, I would not go so far as to say "disgraceful", but I do agree that what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. If you are going to disallow perfectly valid BRGs on some flimsy pretense about them not being available to the general public, when the reality is all that is required is a web search, then you should not be DQing people on special rates. I know the argument would be "YOU are eligible for that rate so it is lower and therefore you shouldn't get a BRG", but that doesn't apply to rates like AAA, Costco, Corporate etc that you MIGHT be eligible for but they don't know. They don't go and check through every rate you MIGHT be able to get to see if it is cheaper, so a special limited rate like that should not count either, since it is not "publicly available."
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I agree this is a pretty dirty move on Hyatt's part. Particularly when their own BRG terms explicitly reference the "public" Hyatt rate:

Hyatt guarantees to provide the lowest on-line bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt Hotels available to the general public on the Internet
If they weren't such sticklers denying claims for websites they claim are 'membership' sites because they ask to create an account during booking, I would cut Hyatt a little more slack, but they are ruthless on flimsy denials. Not cool, Hyatt.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by danger
That is disgraceful.

In the same way that Hyatt denies BRGs for competing sites that require membership, thereby meaning they are not "publicly available", the same applies to the My Elite rate.
Just as I feared:

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Will the "My Elite Rate" work against BRG claims? As in they will deny a claim based on a lower priced Elite rate that is not available to those without status?
Considering they approve a claim before getting your personal information to officially make the reservation, I can't imagine that would be the case.
"My Elite" rate is a punishment for those skilled in the BRG.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Just as I feared:

Just give the BRG rep a physical address, email address, and phone that's different than the one in your profile, and then add your GP# to the reservation later. No one's forcing you to give your GP# or the info in your GP account. Just don't give fake information.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Just give the BRG rep a physical address, email address, and phone that's different than the one in your profile, and then add your GP# to the reservation later.
That's a lot of extra work, so still a punishment.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just as I feared:
Only here you would expect people complaining because someone is offering them a better rate :-).

If the only consequence of the My Elite rate is that some BRG claims are denied because you can now get the same rate (or better) than I'll gladly take it. Especially with what a pain BRG has become due to the constant denials and how good some of the My Elite rates can be.

Time for GP to adjust the T&C's I guess. It's clear that they don't really want to offer a BRG funtion....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
The Elite Rate practically gets rid of the majority of BRGs however it makes no sense that someone who has no Status at Hyatt can get a BRG validated and pay less than someone with Status.

Hyatt may not know immediately if you're a AAA or Costco member but they do know for sure if you are a Senior and yet they do not deny you a BRG just because the Senior rate is lower.

Hyatt ought to reconsider and show some consistency in their T&C.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suite2suite
Hyatt may not know immediately if you're a AAA or Costco member but they do know for sure if you are a Senior and yet they do not deny you a BRG just because the Senior rate is lower.
You know this for a fact?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, the My Elite Rate is only good for one room per night. If so, then one thing that you could do is make a My Elite Rate reservation, then make a second reservation for applying the BRG. The My Elite Rate won't apply for the second reservation, so you should receive the BRG rate. Then you could cancel the My Elite Rate reservation, leaving you with just the BRG Rate reservation.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:17 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

My Elite Rate and BRG

Hello FlyerTalkers!

Happy Tuesday.

I wanted to take a quick moment to clear up any confusion on Best Rate Guarantees and the My Elite Rate.

A Best Rate Guarantee will not be denied if the My Elite rate is lower than the rate on the third party. We will only compare the rates that are available to everyone on Hyatt.com. If you have any questions or concerns on the process, please feel free to reach out to us.

Safe and happy travels!

Dana Mowrey
Guest Relations Manager
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:38 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FlyerTalkers!

Happy Tuesday.

I wanted to take a quick moment to clear up any confusion on Best Rate Guarantees and the My Elite Rate.

A Best Rate Guarantee will not be denied if the My Elite rate is lower than the rate on the third party. We will only compare the rates that are available to everyone on Hyatt.com. If you have any questions or concerns on the process, please feel free to reach out to us.

Safe and happy travels!

Dana Mowrey
Guest Relations Manager
As it should be. Thanks for clearing this up for us.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
....A Best Rate Guarantee will not be denied if the My Elite rate is lower than the rate on the third party. We will only compare the rates that are available to everyone on Hyatt.com.....
Thank you for your clarification.^
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Getaroom.com is a no-go

They Hyatt Regency Chicago is $207/night on March 26-28 at Hyatt.com. Getaroom.com has it for $111.71/night. I just called to make a BRG claim and was told that Getaroom is on their "list of sites that are not allowed." When I asked why, the agent said that they don't provide instant confirmations. While I was on the phone, I made a booking using getaroom--it was cancellable--and got an instant confirmation! When I mentioned this, I was referred to some part of getaroom's website that said confirmations may take a few hours.

So, it didn't matter that I got an instant confirmation. All that mattered was that, on rare occasions, a confirmation might not be instant. What a joke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.