Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by dewby
Call over Skype. That should work.

I call the American number over that manner.
I tried, but she couldn't hear me (and hung up). Not sure what's wrong.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Finally managed to get it done via Skype. Seems random when it works and when it doesn't. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum
Grand Hyatt San Antonio

1 night in February.

Hyatt Rate: $229
Despegar Rate: $174
BRG: $139.20
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Any idea what the average turn around time is these days? I just submitted a claim (around 1pm local time) for a stay later tonight and don't know how long I should wait to see if it's processed. I can wait a few hours to check-in but need to make a firm decision on the stay no later than 5 or 6pm.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Any idea what the average turn around time is these days? I just submitted a claim (around 1pm local time) for a stay later tonight and don't know how long I should wait to see if it's processed. I can wait a few hours to check-in but need to make a firm decision on the stay no later than 5 or 6pm.
That won't work - the claim needs to be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the property.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stargold
That won't work - the claim needs to be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the standard check-in time of the property.
Ahh, didn't realize it had to be at least 24 hours out. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Jerryf08
Grand Hyatt San Antonio

1 night in February.

Hyatt Rate: $229
Despegar Rate: $174
BRG: $139.20

My BRG on Despegar was rejected saying it is a membership website... how inconsistent Hyatt is!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Got denied for otel.com, membership site. I have made several res. via otel.com and never once signed up for a membership. Retarded policy.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Hyatt's BRG is a fraud these days. Nothing but a waste of time!

Booked a lower priced SPG Property instead and know from previous experience that I will be happy there as well.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:57 pm

Agreed. It's so restrictive almost to the point that unless you're using Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, or a "major" OTA, they're going to deny the claim.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Agreed. It's so restrictive almost to the point that unless you're using Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, or a "major" OTA, they're going to deny the claim.
I did use Expedia but Hyatt took forever to get back to me and ooops... 'We can't verify the rate anymore'.

Total scam. This is IHG Standard - not Hyatt!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:26 am

Park Hyatt Busan, South Korea :
Already set on Holiday promo with 20-30% discount...

Hyatt.com: $ 193
Agoda.com: $ 192 (1 dollar difference!!)
BRG: $ 153

With an extra 20% to the holiday promo, this makes it a great deal..!

Though I sent a JPEG, they asked me to send it again because they couldn't read the file... When I asked the agent by phone why the heck they couldn't open a simple JPEG, he said it's a typical system issue they have, where files sometimes just show up totally white, but that we can in theory send and file format... They have no preference.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Perhaps the most ridiculous rule of the BRG is that the same room has to be for sale on hyatt.com even after you make your reservation. I found a valid BRG at the Waikiki Hyatt, but it just so happens I booked the last room. I sent in the BRG and the response was that while they could locate the lower rate on the competing site and they could see my reservation at a higher rate that they still couldn't approve it because hyatt.com was now sold out.

While I might understand this if I didn't have a reservation, I do not see the logic in another room having to be for sale when I already secured a room and found a lower rate. They really like to look for loopholes as neither Marriott nor SPG has this rule. As long as you have a reservation, they compare the competing site to that reservation.

The Waikiki Hyatt goes in and out of inventory right now anyway because of the renovation. For pretty much the entire month of February OTA's have rooms but hyatt.com does not. It's like they're using that as a way not to approve the BRG's for this property.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:50 am

Do rates with promo codes qualify for BRGs? As you all know, there is a space on the Hyatt form for promo code. I recently submitted a claim using a promo code for a major OTA using a promo code for that OTA. The agent responded that it was not a valid claim because a promotion code was used. Nowhere in the terms and conditions does it mention the use of promotion codes, and as I noted above, there's even a space on the claim form for a promotion code if needed.

Update:
So the end result of this was that my claim was denied because a promo code was used. This was AFTER an agent specifically told me that the promotion code had to be publicly available. As soon as I directed her to the website where it was publicly available, it was suddenly no longer usable. It seems unethical and misleading of Hyatt corporate to have a space for a promotional code on their BRG form competing rate section of promotional codes are not allowed. Why exactly is that space there?

Lastly, the claim was specifically denied because of this clause in the T&C:

Packaged rates that include taxes, service charges, meals, coupons, parking, services, or other amenities.

My rate was not a package. It was a simple three night stay with no extras included. Since when is a three night stay considered a package? The agent on the phone claimed that the above clause was referring to promotional codes and coupons for booking when, quite clearly, it is not at all related to promotional codes. Hyatt should really update their terms and conditions to specifically disallow promo codes AND remove the promotional code box on the form if they are not allowed to be used. As the form reads today, it's very misleading.

I'm pretty disgusted with Hyatt right now, especially the numerous seemingly dishonest or poorly informed agents on the phone who repeatedly made up excuses as to why it wasn't a valid claim.

I'm fairly certain that the next denial reason will be because either it's raining in Uganda or that the groundhog didn't see his shadow.

The upside of this is that I booked a different brand through Virtuoso that is much nicer and in a better part of town than either of the Hyatts in this city.

Last edited by Andrea Waters; Jan 28, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:16 pm

After some hours I submit the BRG for the second time, Hyatt.com adjusted their rate to be lower than the competitive website, and my BRG was rejected.
What a shame!
They did the adjust in such a rush so that now their price is much lower than any other normal website like booking.com. Expedia.com and so on..
I really feel Hyatt is playing such a game here..

Last edited by applelover2; Jan 28, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.