Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Speculation thread: What will June bring???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation thread: What will June bring???

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 12:17 am

Hmmm, I just had a quick look (at only a handful of dates), but I saw award availability at PH Tokyo almost all nights. A couple things to remember:
1) Even though you can possibly see a paid reservation as available if you are logged into your GP acct, that doesn't mean there is really rooms open. You could very well be seeing the "Gaur Avail" rooms which is the Diamond (and now it looks like this perk has been extended to Plats too?) Room Availability Guarantee. The dates that I saw "Passport Plus" rooms for awards, it was in fact this rack rate guaranteed room that was the only room available. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

2) There are still capacity controls (or blackout dates?) for extraordinary demand dates such as New Years Eve, Fashion Week, etc where the hotel can not make awards available. Nobody knows how many dates there are that each hotel can claim extraordinary demand, that will be interesting to find out. This seems to be the case for NYE at PH Tokyo.

BTW, like I said, I only looked at a few dates and the above was what I saw. It very well could be that you have looked at more dates and are seeing actual inconsistancies with the new policy. You should definitely call GP to find out what is going on if that's the case.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In that case I just hope that Hyatt can pull this off without devaluing the Points.

It sounds like something we can enjoy for the time being, but I am skeptical about this change. The capacity controls existed to protect revenues, so it looks like point devaluation (redemption rate increases) will be inevitable in the future as a result of this.

I am curious as to how this has affected SPG and other hotel programs. The only one I use is Hyatt, so I really don`t know.
It very well could be the case that the future will hold point devaluations becuase of this new policy. We can't have it all, right? We'll see, only time will tell.

As far as how it has affected other programs, Hilton and Marriott both recently implemented it within the past year or so. So probably too soon to tell. SPG has done it for quite some time now, and it has been a major advantage to their program. MANY people love SPG solely due to the fact that if there is a standard room available for sale then they can have it with points. Now that all the major chains have no capacity controls, I'm not sure it will bring tons of new business in for Hyatt (but I could be wrong), but it may stop GP members from defecting to the other chains. Who knows....
Old May 9, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I highly doubt that they are really doing away with capacity controls entirely.
Ditto
Old May 9, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
That is so funny because the SPG promotion is essentially a Hyatt FFN promotion, and the usual SPG quarterly promotion allows one to pick from a range of options for their particular bonus!

So SPG copies Hyatt, and it appears that Hyatt is copying SPG!
Seems even that is up for debate

Of course, they're all loosely based on the "Share a bed - get a baby" promotion that's been running for quite some time now
Old May 9, 2009, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump

Of course, they're all loosely based on the "Share a bed - get a baby" promotion that's been running for quite some time now
Old May 9, 2009, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I demand octuplets!
Old May 9, 2009, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
To several of the comments above re capacity controls, I suggest that we're in a grace period, right now, those of us who are still traveling.

Separately, those who attended the Andaz Event know that jumpdogjump is the same in person:
Old May 9, 2009, 12:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wouldn't be eligible for that promotion, having already participated at the Scottsdale Regency Club some years ago.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Talking

Originally Posted by nsx
I wouldn't be eligible for that promotion, having already participated at the Scottsdale Regency Club some years ago.
Is "the Scottsdale Regency Club" a euphemism, or mm, let's say analogous to, a five year old's reward of ice cream after having his tonsils out...?

As you've said, "A gentleman never tells." Or, no, it's the other way around in this case. Or -- nevermind.

Last edited by Firewind; May 9, 2009 at 1:01 pm
Old May 9, 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm not sure that would work for "some" of us like me
Old May 9, 2009, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
Nobody said you had to enjoy it!
Old May 13, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm crossing my fingers that the June announcement is a credit card. If it is, even at half a point per dollar, I will move my spending to it from my Southwest card.
A Hyatt credit card is one of the least favorite topic of most Hyatt loyalists but IMHO Hyatt will probably introduce one sooner or later to bring in $ like Starwood, Hilton, IC, Marriott, etc. etc. (What it will do to the program is another discussion!) How long can they hold out to the alure of cash in an economy like this? At 0.5 points per $1 I however do not think it will be widely used. Some of us get 0.6 points per $1 currently with Diners Club transfers. (If you don't have a Diners Card......don't get too excited since Diners is no longer taking new applications since the end of last year. Not sure why! )
Old May 13, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
OK, Peter. We've waited long enough. Did you get Rashae's business card, and if so, could you send a friendly email asking when we'll know about the "June Swoon"? She stopped answering after my tenth call on the subject...
Old May 13, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
No baby for me either but I'll swap you the baby for 10K points (per baby of course).
Old May 13, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Did you get Rashae's business card, and if so, could you send a friendly email asking when we'll know about the "June Swoon"? She stopped answering after my tenth call on the subject...
Be nice to Rashea -- I am trying to redeem my free trip to London...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.