Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Paris Madeleine REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Paris Madeleine REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
While I've generally taken the bus to rue Scribe and then walked to the hotel, it's a bit of a hike to the HR Madeleine. You can also take the RER and then transfer to the metro (IIRC, no stairs involved in this--unusual for the metro there and a boon for those of us who don't mind wheeling our luggage but hate to have to lift it). It's been so long since I've done it (I generally stay at the PH Vendome) that I don't remember how, but maybe the transfer's at Chatelet/Les Halles. There is an elevator to the street at the Madeleine metro (though I believe it's the exit farthest from the hotel), so if your luggage is on wheels you should be okay. If you're arriving into Terminal 1 at CDG, though, getting to the RER is cumbersome.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Opera/Auber, I have found exits and entrances to the metro and RER that don't require schlepping bags up or down steps, but this is pretty complicated station complex so it's readily possible to screw up and find yourself looking at a staircase with a long backtrack if you want to try some other way.

Two exits diverged in a metro stop, and I -- I took the one less travelled by....so there, RFrost!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Based upon requests, I've split this thread from the combined Madeleine / PH Vendome thread. But there are mentions of this property in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html particularly some questions as to which property to choose.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:32 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by peteropny
Based upon requests, I've split this thread from the combined Madeleine / PH Vendome thread. But there are mentions of this property in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html particularly some questions as to which property to choose.
YaY! That was quick work... Great job, Peter!! ^
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Do Diamonds still get some kind of welcome amenity at this property and get upgraded?

It was my understanding that the most basic rooms all face the inner courtyard while the deluxe upgraded room types face onto the streets. Is that right?

An acquaintance who is a Diamond checked in here late at night for a one night stay and -- while not getting the smallest room line in the property -- had only an inner courtyard view despite some of the rooms facing outwards seemingly not having been taken. Even the bathroom door to the room was reported as not being able to be closed to the room as the door is either too large for the frame or wasn't placed on the hinge properly when being set.

No welcome amenity mentioned or to be seen either. Breakfast is apparently included in the street-level cafe.

He won't be returning despite reports of the staff being friendly.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I might spend one night here next week. How are the breakfast comped to a Diamond member? Do we simply sign the bill and they take it out at check out? Is it limited to restaurant only or can we have it via room service?

Thanks!
He said that he signed the bill and placed a tip on it and at checkout there was no charge for the breakfast beside the tip.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile The view from inside

In my stays, the last was last winter, I was upgraded to a deluxe room, courtyard view (it's a very small courtyard, more like a light well) and got a bottle of wine and small box of chocolates. The buffet breakfast was in the extended lobby beyond reception. Not as good as the Vendome's (whose is, outside of a sea cruise?) but nice. They brought coffee, tea, juice.

As to the room, I was surprised to see the unhappiness here a while back, until I figured out that I've been upgraded everytime. Not a suite or junior suite, but big. Tall, openable windows. And as to inside/outside view, I would vastly prefer inside. Bd. Malesherbes is a loud highway in front of the hotel, and I can't imagine there's a view to the sides and rear. But could be.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Firewind
In my stays, the last was last winter, I was upgraded to a deluxe room, courtyard view (it's a very small courtyard, more like a light well) and got a bottle of wine and small box of chocolates. The buffet breakfast was in the extended lobby beyond reception. Not as good as the Vendome's (whose is, outside of a sea cruise?) but nice. They brought coffee, tea, juice.

As to the room, I was surprised to see the unhappiness here a while back, until I figured out that I've been upgraded everytime. Not a suite or junior suite, but big. Tall, openable windows. And as to inside/outside view, I would vastly prefer inside. Bd. Malesherbes is a loud highway in front of the hotel, and I can't imagine there's a view to the sides and rear. But could be.
There are the 25 square meter rooms that are the smallest ones which may not even have a separate shower from the tub. There are the 30 or maybe it's 35 square meter rooms that have no foyer/vestibule type area and always have a separate shower area from the tub. The higher category rooms have some kind of foyer/vestibule type area IIRC.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Fantastic Hotel!

I just returned from an almost three week trip that involved 7 different hotels in four different countries. The highlight was unquestionably our four night stay at the Hyatt Regency Paris Madeleine.

First thing though an update on my initial inquiry concerning airport transportation (my OP was left in the Vendome Master thread):
Originally Posted by peteropny
Cab from / to CDG is about 50 Euros so it is a bit more expensive than the bus (which is about 12 Euros per person IIRC) but not outrageously more. With two people and luggage, I would just do the cab.
This turned out to be good advice. We had more luggage than I care to admit and although the long taxi line at CDG took about half an hour to get through, it was definitely worth it for the door-to-door service. Total cost turned out to be 41€.

It took a bit of patience to get this stay put together, as I was using all of my FFN's on this trip and initially only two nights were available. After frequent daily checking on the Hyatt GP website I was lucky enough to gather together two more nights to make four consecutive (the whole of our stay in Paris was six nights with the last two at a Starwood property). I was in Paris from 2/10 to 2/16, 2009.

Soon after the cab driver started piling our luggage on the curb in front of the hotel, a bellman/doorman was outside with a cart. It was very cold and with a slight drizzle, so I do not blame the doorman for not standing outside!

The first thing I noticed upon entering this Hyatt is that it is a very intimate property. No grand three story entrance lobby here. There is a low ceiling and dark features inside the revolving door. The registration desk to the left can only fit about two staff members working side by side. The lobby lounge/restaurant beyond the registration area does have a nice skylight above it to the atrium area of of the hotel. This is the view of the inner courtyard rooms. It's at this time I noticed that I had been in this hotel two and a half years ago when on a family vacation. We actually ate dinner here.

I was warmly welcomed and upon viewing my reservation was immediately told that I had been upgraded from my "standard" reserved room to a "Deluxe King." As we all know, upgrades like this can be meaningless, so I was not holding my breath. Also no lounge at this hotel, but I was told we could have breakfast in the restaurant, Cafe M (not the lobby lounge but a separate restaurant off the lobby that faces the street). I was also told that we could order breakfast through room service. This is a nice touch! Also, I was informed that we would get a "free hot beverage" each day. I had no idea what this meant but it would become apparent a little bit later.

Our room was on the first floor, which was a little confusing until I remembered that Europeans start with "0" on the ground floor so we would have to take the elevator to "1". The bellman who directed us with our luggage also mentioned that, at 84 rooms, they are the smallest Hyatt Regency in the world. Interesting fact if true.

Quite simply put, I was very impressed with our room. It was very large, with what seemed like cathedral high ceilings. Two sweeping almost floor to ceiling windows opened "french style" (of course) to the Blvd Malsherbes in front of the hotel. We were directly over the front entrance. And how great it is to see windows that open fully, not the 2-inch gap that American hotels are reduced too! But what was most impressive about these windows is the fact that there are in fact two sets of windows: an outer set and an inner set, both with double-paned insulated glass. There is about a 1-foot space from the outside set of windows to the inside ones. Both sets open fully, and close with an absolutely vault-like seal. The result? Absolute dead silence in the interior of the room! NO street noise whatsoever even leaks into the room from the outside world. VERY impressive indeed. I just wish the weather were slightly warmer so I could have enjoyed opening the windows more.

The bathroom, while not huge, was well appointed, with a separate shower stall and WC to the left and large soaking tub on the right. One flaw: the shower stall door leaked profusely, leaving a huge puddle on the floor each time. Our daily supply of towels was put to full use on this situation. We did not use the tub.

The king bed was very comfortable, and convenient switches by the bed included a master switch for the lights and nightlite by the bathroom door. Nice touches included free on-demand music on the TV: complete artist/album choices could be selected to play at no charge. Also, a speaker in the bathroom made this a nice feature for those that like to hear music in the shower.

There was a bottle of wine, two glasses, and a corkscrew already presented on the desk. I brought the wine home for a friend who is a fan, as neither of us are wine drinkers. Also, each day two large bottles of Evian water (the glass ones, not plastic!) were left for us on the nightstands by the bed with glasses. I put them away each day in my suitcase so our supply would get replenished.

On the doorknob breakfast menu, I noticed what the front desk clerk referred to as our "free hot beverage". There is a section at the bottom which states that Hyatt Gold Passport members (I assume any level, since it did not specify) are entitled to free beverage service in the morning via room service! What a great feature, one of my favorite touches from this hotel. Precisely at our selected time each morning, room service staff would softly knock on the door and bring in a tray with a pot of great coffee, heated cream, a pot of tea, some lemon slices, and tiny jars of honey. We thoroughly enjoyed this everyday while getting dressed... and to think I was hoping for a silly coffee maker!

I must confess, this also took care of my room service fix for the trip, so we did not try the room service option for breakfast. That and the fact that the breakfast buffet is simply incredible! The spread runs the entire length of the dining room in this intimate restaurant. The decor (which I realized was a motif that ran throughout the hotel) had an Asian flare, with the predominant theme of shiny black lacquer.

Though it was mostly a cold buffet... I did not miss the traditional hot items. The sumptuous selection was simply too grand to pine for missing lukewarm limp bacon and dried out buffet pancakes. There was one warm dish: scrambled eggs, just the way I like them, soft and custardy.

At the start of the buffet was fresh fruit (compotes, peeled grapefruit, berries), hard cooked eggs, cereals and yogurt. Then cheese selections (and tomatoes and mozzarella!), meats (prosciutto, smoked salmon, sliced ham), cartons of yogurt in a bowl and then the dish of eggs. The last section was devoted to the breads.. brioche, croissants, baguettes, and whole loaves of thick french bread ready for slicing. To accompany: no fewer than four kinds of honey, and my favorite, a selection of Fauchon preserves!

Beverage orders were taken at the tables by the excellent staff. In addition, they brought baskets of croissants, breads and pastries to the table. We were also asked if we would like to order any hot items from the kitchen that were not on the buffet, such as egg dishes or pancakes. I ordered one dish of pancakes one morning to try them. They were American style (not crepes) and came with syrup. Quite good.

Each morning, I was presented with a bill to sign. The breakfast buffet was 36€/person, the morning that I ordered extra pancakes added on an additional 15€ to make 87€. It's times like this when one truly appreciates the benefits of being a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond!

Upon checkout my bill was exactly 0.00€

I'd like to add that what made this stay really special was the staff. We were constantly greeted warmly throughout our stay by everyone we encountered. By the second day, it seemed that everyone in the hotel knew our names even. It makes one feel like a celebrity to be treated as such, and details like this make a stay truly memorable. I always got the feeling that the staff was happy to accommodate us with any request that was made... and would be with whatever request we might make. This is what a great hotel should be.

I must admit that I was slightly disappointed before our trip began that I was not able to get any nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome, because it was completely unavailable. I'm happy to stay that all that disappointment was for naught. I've never stayed there, but certainly can't imagine how much better it could be. I would return to the Hyatt Regency Madeleine in an instant... and would not hesitate to on a paid stay either. To be treated so well on a "free" award stay really impressed me.

^^^

Last edited by JonathanIT; Feb 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Great report! Thanks

Originally Posted by JonathanIT

On the doorknob breakfast menu, I noticed what the front desk clerk referred to as our "free hot beverage". There is a section at the bottom which states that Hyatt Gold Passport members (I assume any level, since it did not specify) are entitled to free beverage service in the morning via room service! What a great feature, one of my favorite touches from this hotel. Precisely at our selected time each morning, room service staff would softly knock on the door and bring in a tray with a pot of great coffee, heated cream, a pot of tea, some lemon slices, and tiny jars of honey. We thoroughly enjoyed this everyday while getting dressed... and to think I was hoping for a silly coffee maker!

^^^
This is very common for European Hyatt hotels... like PH Hamburg, PH Vendome, GH Berlin.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:26 am

Programs: ICHG Platinum RoyalAmb, HiltonHonors Gold, AClub Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Spg Plat
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Each morning, I was presented with a bill to sign. The breakfast buffet was 36€/person, the morning that I ordered extra pancakes added on an additional 15€ to make 87€. It's times like this when one truly appreciates the benefits of being a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond!

Upon checkout my bill was exactly 0.00€
So as diamond member, your breakfast (for two) was always free, right?
well, this is a very good report about Hyatt Paris ^
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by aleinvolo
Yes, I was initially concerned about this at first... especially when I saw the extra charge the morning that I ordered the pancakes in addition to the buffet. Honestly, I was prepared to cough up the extra amount if it was on my final room folio without argument... but it did not show up! So yes, this extravagant breakfast for two is completely free of charge for HGP Diamonds at this hotel.

Simply give the room number and sign the bill when presented, no vouchers or further explanations necessary.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aleinvolo
well, this is a very good report about Hyatt Paris ^
Yes, the breakfast in Cafe M is always free for the Diamond room guests. One ordered hot item -- such as French toast -- included.

On the charge slip, the billed amount will show up but not exist on the folio at check-out except for the amount (if any) you choose to add as a tip on the charge slip.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, LH Miles&More, EK Skywards, Hyatt GP
Recently had a 1 night stay at HR Madeleine, first time there.

Booked a Queen Room and was upgraded to Deluxe King at check in.

The room was nice enough , 2 windows facing courtyard, but due to a bit of a strange room layout it was lacking in cozyness. This there was mainly due to some "lost" space at entrance of the room. Bathroom with tub and seperate shower stall.
Diamond amenity (0,5l bottle red wine) was waiting in the room.
Breakfast buffet (with hot item to order) at lobby level Café M was excellent. Had to sign check, but amount did not show up on final invoice.

All in all a satisfactory stay, property feels small and private, good service level and prime location.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:09 am

HR Paris Madeleine sounds like a great hotel, and very intimate. I look forward to giving it a try in the future. It is too bad that this property does not participate in the suite upgrade program.. that would be an amazing deal in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.