Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Paris Madeleine REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Paris Madeleine REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:46 am

What a difference - now in Executive King room. A world of difference!

After one night in the closet they call a Classic Room, we've been moved to an Executive King room facing the Boulevard.

What a difference!

This is the type of room that others have raved about. Tall ceilings (one could almost fit in a another floor), tall Parisian style windows, proper amount of space to live and move about without knocking into things. Nicely appointed. The tall ceilings makes a big difference and can convert a room into something more spectacular than its footprint size.

The Closet-- er, Classic Room-- has some nice furnishings such as wall treatments, but as mentioned previously, it makes poor use of space available, ours was dark and has an oppressively low ceilings that makes the room something to endure than enjoy. Certain classic rooms do have tall ceilings, but are small.

It should be noted that while our new room is called an Executive King, it doesn't actually have a King size bed. In fact, it has two smaller beds that are joined together to create the illusion of one large bed. This appears to be common in Europe; not so common is to call it a King room. Perhaps royalty has stayed here? The mattress size is actually smaller than the full size bed in the Classic Room.

All Executive King rooms face the street. So no courtyard views from this room category.

Other delights from the Classic Room carry to this room-- the glued down memo pad holder is in this room, as is the tiny in-room safe, and the slow speed internet that reminds me at times of those dial up modem days.

This room has a separate shower from tub, but oddly the water pressure in the shower is not as good as in the Classic Room.

In transferring from room to room, it took three requests over 2 hours to unlock our minibar (we had the hotel drinks cleared so that we used it as a fridge) and for use to move our fridge items to the new room. Had the minibar not been locked, this would have been a 4 minute procedure to move the contents from one room to another.

Room service breakfast tastes better when you're not eating in a room with the ambience of a closet, and the King Room is light infused and a very Parisian experience.

Summary:

If you get the Executive King room you will likely have a good impression of this hotel. If you get the Classic room, your impression may be very different.

There should not be such a contrast between the two room types. Or the Classic Rooms should not be sold as a two person room.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
thoughts on Diamond amenity delivery...

Stayed here again this week, had a generally okay stay this time... upgraded to Blvd facing deluxe room, all fine, except:

Checked in early, then went over the road to the bagel shop to grab a quick lunch... maybe fifteen minutes, then back to the room, called down for some dinnerware which was delivered after maybe another ten minutes. Then put DND on - in total probably 40 minutes after checkin.

Diamond amenity never arrived (not there in room, no card from GM, etc); I asked after it on checkout and was told by the concierge that they tried to deliver but the DND was on, and that was it. No attempt to deliver it along with the room service delivery late afternoon, no attempt to deliver it when we went out for dinner and asked for turndown

Maybe I'm too used to places like PHV and PH Milan, where they deliver around your schedule - am I wrong to be disappointed ?

EDIT: So, seems like concensus is I was being a prima donna... Will rein my expectations in for my next stay. But honestly, HR Mainz can manage outstanding service, why not these guys?

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Nov 24, 2011 at 9:01 am Reason: after comments below
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
Yes you are.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I believe you have a right to be disappointed - in the way things turned out. But the Do Not Disturb card or light is supposed to mean exactly what it says and to be sacrosanct. If they didn't make it in the first 40 minutes, then I think the blame is shared. You said you got an early check-in. This opened a crack. (Which a fellow FTer I know personally would say shouldn't matter at a luxury hotel.) An amenity can be perishable, and who knows how long the DND might remain up? You could have specially requested it, and told them to disregard the DND and knock. They could have left the type of card under the door that we often get when they face a DND at evening turndown. And here's where the points option would be the best solution. I think Gold Passport continues to press the case for the latter, but the internationals just won't buy it.

But further to where I'm coming from: I've had the DND violated several times (various hotels and brands) at the convenience of housekeeping in the morning (even if just a sharp knock - with a solid object) and it upsets me more than anything else in a hotel stay, and it's one of the only things I can remember complaining about. Managers get it, to the degree that it has meant a comped meal offered.

Actually happened at the PH Buenos Aires. Called in a "no housekeeping" order for the duration, left the handsome leather DND card on the doorknob, went out. On return, the whole suite was made up. A lunch was comped, and the front desk manager came over to apologize to me at checkout. The matter had come up as a breach of policy at the next morning managers meeting. I'm sorry for the grief the housekeeper might have taken, ironically after otherwise doing her job well, but as I said, DND is sacrosanct and trumps all -- unless there's an odd smell emanating, or it's raining in the room below.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
So would there be any advantage at all to this property over the PH Vendome on an award stay? Doesn't really sound like it. Will be staying in Paris for a few nights next summer (first time in the city) and just want to make sure. I'm sure both are great properties, but it seems that the PH is almost universally preferred.

If it matters, I don't have any status with Hyatt.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
So would there be any advantage at all to this property over the PH Vendome on an award stay? Doesn't really sound like it. Will be staying in Paris for a few nights next summer (first time in the city) and just want to make sure. I'm sure both are great properties, but it seems that the PH is almost universally preferred.

IMO, I think that the PH Vendome would be better than the HR Madeleine for an award stay for someone without any status. You should not expect to get any type of an upgrade since you are on award stay, without status, and first time at the property. While neither property's base rooms are large (PH Vendome is 25-30 sq m - no idea about the HR Madeleine but there was a recent report about a tiny room so I'm assuming that it could be smaller), the PH Vendome should be more uniform in size. The only advantage that the HR Madeleine has it that it probably has a more "Parisian" feel than the PH Vendome.

Perhaps you should consider getting the Hyatt Visa card from Chase since it automatically gives you Platinum status (lower level elite tier) which doesn't give a lot of benefits (except for free internet) but could give you a shot at a slightly better room than the base room. Also, the signup bonus (after meeting a spend threshhold) is 2 free nights at any Hyatt (including these 2 category 6 properties).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Don't be so submissive of free internet! In Paris (and other European locations), it can be a small fortune!

We never stayed at the Madeline but we can't imagine a location more amazing than the PH - and it is certainly a Parisian feel to us - albeit a very wealthy Parisian feel!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397
Don't be so submissive of free internet! In Paris (and other European locations), it can be a small fortune!

We never stayed at the Madeline but we can't imagine a location more amazing than the PH - and it is certainly a Parisian feel to us - albeit a very wealthy Parisian feel!
That was something I was thinking about. I've heard that the PH doesn't feel as "Parisian," but that's pretty subjective. Besides, if I want a true feeling of Paris ... I can just go outside!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:42 pm

Just good luck finding availability for the PH Vendome on a norma award ticket. I tried two nights in March and she couldn't even find any two days where a regular room was available. Looking at many dates next February and March, it seems much of the same thing - only deluxe king is available which is not bookable with the free nights.

Had to book at the Regency instead!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Perhaps you should consider getting the Hyatt Visa card from Chase since it automatically gives you Platinum status (lower level elite tier) which doesn't give a lot of benefits (except for free internet) but could give you a shot at a slightly better room than the base room. Also, the signup bonus (after meeting a spend threshhold) is 2 free nights at any Hyatt (including these 2 category 6 properties).
Was looking into the Hyatt card after this post and may consider it. Without derailing the thread too much, one quick question: Could I book a regular stay now and then change it to an award stay later down the road? I should be getting my Sapphire Preferred bonus next month, which I could transfer to Hyatt. Along with the Hyatt card signup, that'd be about enough for 5 total award nights.

Not sure if that's something they allow or not.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:21 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Could I book a regular stay now and then change it to an award stay later down the road?
In short you can't convert a revenue stay into an award stay - if you had the points in your account already you can probably go ahead and book with points and convert to award from credit card when they are in your account however. A booked revenue stay that is cancelled may or may not go into inventory at the same level (base room) depending upon how full the hotel is at that time and there is no mechanism to convert a revenue stay to an award stay directly (which is the way that it should be since otherwise people could pre-book award stays way in advance leaving no inventory for revenue nights at highly popular properties such as these Paris ones).
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
In short you can't convert a revenue stay into an award stay - if you had the points in your account already you can probably go ahead and book with points and convert to award from credit card when they are in your account however. A booked revenue stay that is cancelled may or may not go into inventory at the same level (base room) depending upon how full the hotel is at that time and there is no mechanism to convert a revenue stay to an award stay directly (which is the way that it should be since otherwise people could pre-book award stays way in advance leaving no inventory for revenue nights at highly popular properties such as these Paris ones).
Thanks. Seems more than fair, but wanted to make sure.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Can one reserve an award stay here in anticipation of earning the points in the meantime? Since I've never done this, I can't remember how it works. But it seems to me that I've heard it described. Only if one is a little bit short? Only at some Hyatts? Diamonds only? I don't know, and probably ought to butt out...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
Can one reserve an award stay here in anticipation of earning the points in the meantime? Since I've never done this, I can't remember how it works. But it seems to me that I've heard it described. Only if one is a little bit short? Only at some Hyatts? Diamonds only? I don't know, and probably ought to butt out...
Unless something has changed, you should be able to do this. You will need to make the reservation by phone, and then you will have to make sure you have the points in your account before the stay.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Unless something has changed, you should be able to do this. You will need to make the reservation by phone, and then you will have to make sure you have the points in your account before the stay.
I thought this was a Diamond-only benefit. Maybe I have old information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.