Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Stayed in July and both wifi and breakfast buffet (1901) were great (and I consider myself not easily pleased on both counts).
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
No wifi issues for me either. The breakfast here is still in the top 5 of all the breakfasts (Park Hyatt Dubai being number 1).
Park Hyatt Dubai was your favorite breakfast? I've had what I consider better at a number of other properties. I'm curious why it was your top?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
So does DSU always go into the small suite or can you get the large suite if it is available?

What is the club lounge food like?

There is a GBP 80 difference between this and the Churchill on my dates - is it worth it to stay at the Churchill.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We have had a large suite on occasion with DSU but usually smaller suite.

There is no lounge at the Andaz but they do serve food and wine in the lobby area from 6PM. If you ask for a second glass of wine you get a strange look so definitely not somewhere to linger. Small selection of canapes but these don't last long
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Struggling to find a BRG for this one in October - standard rate of GBP 258 is matched on all the websites. Very annoying.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Staying here now. Great property and I enjoy the location. Easy access from the train station. Lots of cool markets nearby; more alternative, young, hip crowd.

Used a DSU and I would guess this is one of the smaller suites (actually now that I read other reviews this may be the "large suite"). One big room divided by the TV console. Bed on one side, living room on the other. Corner room so windows on two sides which is nice. High ceilings. Photo and lengthier review to come.

Suite is stocked with mini bar -- water, juice, soda, cookies, candy, bottle of wine. All included. Happy hour was mostly wine with a few little bites. There is always water and juice for free in the lobby.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed here last night. It's our anniversary this weekend and having dinner with friends. Upgraded to large king with a bottle of wine and anniversary card.

Staff all seemed to be new - only saw 2 people we recognised. Not as sharp as the staff we have encountered previously.

Drinks and canapes are now served from 5-8PM in the Andaz Lounge (reception) - very crowded.

Diamond breakfast is now only 1901. Room service or Eastway will be charged.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Stayed here for the 1st time this week for 1 night (on a BRG)

I wouldn't be surprised if as noted above, that all the staff is new. Confusion and disorganization seemed to be the running theme during my short stay.

Checkin was anything but smooth as the staff didn't appear to know how to manage 2 sets of guests arriving in close order. I was thanked for my loyalty as a Diamond and after much shuffling through a drawer, was handed a welcome letter that seemed to primarily serve as warning that room service or Eastway would be an extra charge. I was pretty much told I wanted points over the amenity that was described as a macaron and maybe some chocolate.

I booked a Queen but have no idea if I as upgraded because, I happened to ask if my room had both a stand alone tub and shower. The agent seemed a bit flummoxed by the question but I commend her for making whatever calls she needed to make to put me in a room with both.

I was given room 526 and as others have mentioned, found the layout a bit confusing. Also, for a hotel with only 6 floors, the elevators were incredibly slow.

afaik, 526 was a larger King and though spacious, I wouldn't choose that room on a return visit. Biggest downsides, were the smallish porthole Windows and lack of outlets anywhere near the bed. Also, while not a big deal, I thought the small tv seemed out of place and overall, the room seemed a bit sterile looking. (Though tbh, I had just come off a stay at the Andaz AMS and after that pretty much any decor would seem bland)

Other disappointments in my 24hr stay include, realizing too late that no robes were provided, sitting on the couch & noticing a sizable tear in the bed sheets and utter disappointment in the offerings and presentation of brunch. Staffing in 1902 was minimal and also disorganized. I had to seek out staff as no one ever came by my table, even to ask my room number.

Again, perhaps my expectations were too highly set by the AMS Andaz, where everything was beautifully prepared , presented and staff was personable and extremely polished. While 1901 is an attractive room, I didn't expect to see steam table eggs and uninspired cold cuts and basic pastries. It was just slightly better than a US midrange Marriott lounge breakfast. In fact, I enjoyed the food offerings at the LHR UA lounge more.

While I'm glad I got to stay at this property at a very good rate, it would be nice if the property operated at a level commensurate with the typical rates they charge, so that I would want to return.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm afraid that the staff here are a bit hit and miss. They had a really good set of people working there but I guess they get rotated to other properties over time. The current staff seem look complete amateurs.

BTW there are normally robes, albeit not towelling robes, in one of the baskets in the wardrobe.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by bk3day
Stayed here for the 1st time this week for 1 night (on a BRG)

I wouldn't be surprised if as noted above, that all the staff is new. Confusion and disorganization seemed to be the running theme during my short stay.

Checkin was anything but smooth as the staff didn't appear to know how to manage 2 sets of guests arriving in close order. I was thanked for my loyalty as a Diamond and after much shuffling through a drawer, was handed a welcome letter that seemed to primarily serve as warning that room service or Eastway would be an extra charge. I was pretty much told I wanted points over the amenity that was described as a macaron and maybe some chocolate.

I booked a Queen but have no idea if I as upgraded because, I happened to ask if my room had both a stand alone tub and shower. The agent seemed a bit flummoxed by the question but I commend her for making whatever calls she needed to make to put me in a room with both.

I was given room 526 and as others have mentioned, found the layout a bit confusing. Also, for a hotel with only 6 floors, the elevators were incredibly slow.

afaik, 526 was a larger King and though spacious, I wouldn't choose that room on a return visit. Biggest downsides, were the smallish porthole Windows and lack of outlets anywhere near the bed. Also, while not a big deal, I thought the small tv seemed out of place and overall, the room seemed a bit sterile looking. (Though tbh, I had just come off a stay at the Andaz AMS and after that pretty much any decor would seem bland)

Other disappointments in my 24hr stay include, realizing too late that no robes were provided, sitting on the couch & noticing a sizable tear in the bed sheets and utter disappointment in the offerings and presentation of brunch. Staffing in 1902 was minimal and also disorganized. I had to seek out staff as no one ever came by my table, even to ask my room number.

Again, perhaps my expectations were too highly set by the AMS Andaz, where everything was beautifully prepared , presented and staff was personable and extremely polished. While 1901 is an attractive room, I didn't expect to see steam table eggs and uninspired cold cuts and basic pastries. It was just slightly better than a US midrange Marriott lounge breakfast. In fact, I enjoyed the food offerings at the LHR UA lounge more.

While I'm glad I got to stay at this property at a very good rate, it would be nice if the property operated at a level commensurate with the typical rates they charge, so that I would want to return.
I've stayed at this property dozens of times since it became a Hyatt, and the first time I can recall ever seeing a "welcome letter" was quite recently, when 1901 was closed and they were trying to force Diamonds into breakfast in the lobby (this was the beginning of the "enhancement" away from the room service and weekday Eastway--which in turn had been an enhancement from the original 7/7 Eastway--breakfast options for Diamonds, which followed the enhancement away of complimentary newspapers), so your read on it is absolutely correct. Service at 1901 has always, IME, been poor, which is one of the reasons I have so much preferred Eastway and the relatively punctual room service there.
I think there's always been significant turnover in staff there, but it does seem to be worse this year. But I should note that, while I otherwise enjoy the Amsterdam Andaz, I've encountered lengthy delays in checking in there for both my stays, where the staff not only can't handle two checkins at once, but then ran around the hotel to try to open a bottle of wine for the guests who arrived 1 minute before me.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by rfrost
I've stayed at this property dozens of times since it became a Hyatt, and the first time I can recall ever seeing a "welcome letter" was quite recently, when 1901 was closed and they were trying to force Diamonds into breakfast in the lobby (this was the beginning of the "enhancement" away from the room service and weekday Eastway--which in turn had been an enhancement from the original 7/7 Eastway--breakfast options for Diamonds, which followed the enhancement away of complimentary newspapers), so your read on it is absolutely correct. Service at 1901 has always, IME, been poor, which is one of the reasons I have so much preferred Eastway and the relatively punctual room service there.
I think there's always been significant turnover in staff there, but it does seem to be worse this year. But I should note that, while I otherwise enjoy the Amsterdam Andaz, I've encountered lengthy delays in checking in there for both my stays, where the staff not only can't handle two checkins at once, but then ran around the hotel to try to open a bottle of wine for the guests who arrived 1 minute before me.
While I certainly preferred my stay at the AMS property, I agree that checkin was unnecessarily lengthy and an area where improvement would be welcome.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
That's too bad when I stayed they had an awesome team. I stayed for 2 weeks and got to know many of the staff. I was told by a few of the employees people don't stay long, staff members come and go... and no they don't go to other Hyatt's, THEY QUIT!

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I'm afraid that the staff here are a bit hit and miss. They had a really good set of people working there but I guess they get rotated to other properties over time. The current staff seem look complete amateurs.

BTW there are normally robes, albeit not towelling robes, in one of the baskets in the wardrobe.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:26 pm

Had two night stay last week, haven't stayed in about a year, been staying at the Conrad on trips to London. Staff were good, asked if I had any special requests when I checked in and out. Got 'upgraded' to one of the local artists rooms (Patrick Morgan), which was nice, previously stayed in the Pearly room, so 2 more to go :-) No problems with wireless, noticed breakfast in 1901 spread was not quite as extensive but still ample and IMO a good spread. I did enjoy the stay and reminded me that the its a stiill a good option so may spread my stays between the Conrad and Andaz a little more
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
How convenient is the Andaz to all of the touristy stuff? Planning a long weekend in London in January and can do a cash & points + DSU for a suite at the Andaz. We do like to walk, but understand that January may be really cold and we will end up taking the tube everywhere anyway (vs. some of the Starwood/Marriott properties which seem closer to the touristy sites).
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmkclee
How convenient is the Andaz to all of the touristy stuff? Planning a long weekend in London in January and can do a cash & points + DSU for a suite at the Andaz. We do like to walk, but understand that January may be really cold and we will end up taking the tube everywhere anyway (vs. some of the Starwood/Marriott properties which seem closer to the touristy sites).
Depends where you want to visit - London is a big city and you are going to have to do some travelling, probably by tube, in order to see everything. The Andaz is right next door to the Liverpool Street tube station so very convenient.

January will be cold and probably wet although really cold (freezing) weather is unlikely as we have had mild winters recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.