Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Mendoza REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Closure of Mendoza Airport

Aerolineas Argentinas and Austral inform that the International Airport of the City of Mendoza - El Plumerillo (MDZ) "Governor Francisco Gabrielli", will be closed from September 7 to December 7 inclusive, 2016 due to runway maintenance works.

Due to this situation and as an alternative, Aerolineas Argentinas will offer to make the trip to/from the nearest airports: San Juan (UAQ), San Luis (LUQ) and San Rafael (AFA).

Passengers will be able to have free access to a complementary shuttle service connecting the three airports with the Mendoza Bus Station.

Date change

a) Passengers who wish to bring their trip forward, will have 1 (one) free change, only once, from August 7, 2016 to September 6, 2016.

b) Passengers who wish to postpone their trip, will have 1 (one) free change, only once, to travel from December 8 to December 22, 2016 (complete trip) as maximum term.

For both cases, it should be kept the same cabin, as originally issued.

If the passenger wishes to travel on dates other than the established schedule (one-way and/or return), he/she may do so only by paying the fare difference, if applicable, and respecting the air ticket validity.

Route change

1 (one) free route change, only once to alternative airports in San Juan, San Luis and San Rafael will be allowed. Otherwise must be paid only the fare difference if applicable.

Returns

The return of the ticket with no deduction or penalty is authorized.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Mendoza REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by craigthemif
As long as you expect a dated Hyatt Regency with a bit better service, then you'll be happy at the PH Mendoza.

And with Argentina's external borders closed to foreigners for nearly 18 months, and even domestic travel severely limited, I'd be surprised if any FTer has made it here recently...
Thanks. With the rates being what they are, I'm happy to keep expectations muted. Hoping borders are open by November...
kyushuman likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:44 pm

Any recent stays to report?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Park Hyatt Mendoza = Presidential Suite

Park Hyatt Mendoza

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Park Hyatt Mendoza

Chile 1124 Mendoza, AR 5500

Park Hyatt Mendoza = Presidential Suite (26 Photos)

Park Hyatt Mendoza

Park Hyatt Mendoza might not be at the same standard level of other Park Hyatts in the world in terms of hardware as the hotel is quite aging by now, however with my stay in the Presidential Suite for 130 USD all-in it would be quite hard to complain, in fact it was my first stay ever in a Park Hyatt Presidential Suite anywhere.  Besides the room, apart from a few language-related misunderstandings in the restaurant, I found service to be quite good and I can recommend this hotel. 

2_IMG_5428.jpeg

Room

If I was staying in an entry level room and unaware that I can bring down the net cost of my hotel stay by almost half by changing dollars to pesos in the street rather than paying by credit card, perhaps I would have a very different opinion of the hotel.  There were a few signs of hardware maintenance issues for example the ripped carpet in the bedroom, some water damage at the bottom of a bathroom door, and the microwave stopped working during our stay.  However, for the most part the room was well designed with a nice residential feeling and hardwood floors in many rooms.  The suite was obviously very spacious (150 sqm) and none of the rooms felt cramped.  There were some hints of luxury such as the Bang & Olufsen speakers in the living room, but like Park Hyatt Buenos Aires the hotel did not have the standard Le Labo toiletries; instead they offered hotel branded amenities with grape scent which was fitting for the destination.  Another oddity is that they did not have tissues in the room so we had to exclusively use toilet paper.

1_IMG_5389.jpeg1_IMG_5390.jpeg1_IMG_5391.jpeg1_IMG_5392.jpeg1_IMG_5393.jpeg1_IMG_5394.jpeg1_IMG_5395.jpeg1_IMG_5396.jpeg2_IMG_5397.jpeg1_IMG_5398.jpeg1_IMG_5399.jpeg1_IMG_5401.jpeg1_IMG_5402.jpeg1_IMG_5403.jpeg2_IMG_5404.jpeg1_IMG_5406.jpeg1_IMG_5407.jpeg1_IMG_5421.jpeg

Dining

For breakfast they had free flow sparkling wine which was nice, but the rest of the food was fairly standard and noticeably inferior to PH BA, in part due to the absence of an a la carte menu to go along with the buffet.  Thankfully they made grilled veggies from the kitchen upon request which was appreciated. 

IMG_5459.jpegIMG_5437.jpeg1_IMG_5426.jpeg2_IMG_5425.jpeg2_IMG_5424.jpeg

In-room dining was priced quite competitively compared to local restaurants rather than having the traditional price premium for the convenience of room service, so we ordered on a few occasions and enjoyed the menu.

2_IMG_5422.jpeg

Service

Service was excellent before we even set foot in the hotel, including a welcome e-mail and they asked how they could make special arrangements to prepare for our arrival.  We mentioned that our daughter has enjoyed receiving souvenirs from other Park Hyatt hotels before, such as a squirrel in NYC and a camel in Doha, and the hotel staff in Mendoza left a Llama in our room which our daughter was very happy to find.  Housekeeping was also done exactly at time requested every morning.  

1_IMG_5400.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked ok with speed of 10 Mbps.

Overall

In conclusion I think the hotel could use some renovations here and there but considering the price tag and the room type we had, we had a wonderful stay and I would not hesitate coming back especially given the fact that there is not a lot of competition in the area from other hotel chains anyway.

Park Hyatt Mendoza = Presidential Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Mendoza?

No, thank you.
Yes
OskiBear, beachfan and craigthemif like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
The comment about paying in converted AEP has me intrigued.

How does this work in practice? The prices on Hyatt.com / hotel currency is listed as USD. So does the hotel convert USD prices to AEP at the official rate at the time of my stay? And then I can pay utilizing the USD I converted at the blue rate?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by roder
The comment about paying in converted AEP has me intrigued.

How does this work in practice? The prices on Hyatt.com / hotel currency is listed as USD. So does the hotel convert USD prices to AEP at the official rate at the time of my stay? And then I can pay utilizing the USD I converted at the blue rate?
In practice you ask the concierge for a reliable "blue" market - take crisp new $100 bills - and you get a backpack full of pesos.

On check out you pay in stacks of pesos - converted at the official rate - but you do pay VAT.

FWIW the government is introducing a new FX rates for tourists paying on their cards - I'm not sure how close it will be to the blue rate - because the government wants more US dollars in the hands of the central bank instead of circulating in the black market. Between that, the VAT and security issues, it might not be worth the trip to buy blue...
escape4 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
In practice you ask the concierge for a reliable "blue" market - take crisp new $100 bills - and you get a backpack full of pesos.

On check out you pay in stacks of pesos - converted at the official rate - but you do pay VAT.

FWIW the government is introducing a new FX rates for tourists paying on their cards - I'm not sure how close it will be to the blue rate - because the government wants more US dollars in the hands of the central bank instead of circulating in the black market. Between that, the VAT and security issues, it might not be worth the trip to buy blue...
I was also wondering about this. For the dates in Jan I am looking at the king room is way more than $130 itself. Always love a low cash rate for a generous upgrade.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:51 pm

Any recent stays? Curious how the currency exchange works these days and if you'd recommend exchanging at the hotel? Or other means? ATM's work? lol... thanks!
Old May 22, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by madderlake
Any recent stays? Curious how the currency exchange works these days and if you'd recommend exchanging at the hotel? Or other means? ATM's work? lol... thanks!
Agreed - wondering if the "blue" exchange process has changed since the currency is plummeting like a rock...
Old May 23, 2023, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by madderlake
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
Agreed - wondering if the "blue" exchange process has changed since the currency is plummeting like a rock...
When you use your international credit card, you receive an FX rate that is close enough to the "blue" rate to not worry. Especially since you must pay your hotel bills with a credit card in order to avoid the 21% VAT.

It's always good to have some walking-around pesos, but rather than go to a "cueva" to exchange a single $100 bill, I've found that tourist-facing Argentines at the airport - car rentals agencies, mobile phone chip sellers, etc. - are usually happy enough to exchange a few dollars for you and split the difference between the official and blue rates. ATM withdrawals do also get the international "blue-ish" rate, but most machines have a high fixed commission to withdraw cash.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:22 pm
formerly OliverS

What gets converted how though?

The reservation is quoted in USD. Do they then convert that USD amount to ARS at the official rate and charge that to the credit card? And the credit card then used the almost-blue rate?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by otr271
What gets converted how though?

The reservation is quoted in USD. Do they then convert that USD amount to ARS at the official rate and charge that to the credit card? And the credit card then used the almost-blue rate?
Yes. This is why Argentine hotels are currently quoting USD rates that are roughly double what they will end up costing you.

A room rate of say USD200 is converted to pesos at the official rate - roughly 250:1 --> 50,000 pesos. You then pay 50,000 pesos on your card and end up being charged the near-blue rate - roughly 500:1 --> USD100.

It shouldn't be an issue at a Hyatt, but be vigiliant at check-out to ensure that the pesos room rate is calculated with the official FX rate and not some made-up one...
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:07 am
formerly OliverS

Yes. This is why Argentine hotels are currently quoting USD rates that are roughly double what they will end up costing you.

A room rate of say USD200 is converted to pesos at the official rate - roughly 250:1 --> 50,000 pesos. You then pay 50,000 pesos on your card and end up being charged the near-blue rate - roughly 500:1 --> USD100.

It shouldn't be an issue at a Hyatt, but be vigiliant at check-out to ensure that the pesos room rate is calculated with the official FX rate and not some made-up one...
Okay, thanks, this makes sense. The hotel says that 'they are quoting in ARS' while the confirmation states USD. But then again, this is probably the only way to keep the confirmation amount stable, considering the inflation. Otherwise they would have to increase it regularly.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
We are going in July and I am also wondering how the exchange process will work. It was suggested to me that when, say, eating in a restaurant and after receiving the check, casually ask what the price will be if we pay in US Dollars (cash/efectivo)? It was also suggested to change dollars at the airport, although this is something I almost never do. When we were last in Argentina (Feb 2020) ATMs would limit withdrawals to something like $50 US-equivalent and with a $10 fee - not ideal.

Back on-topic: I've stayed at this property twice and was upgraded to the Presidential Suite both times. Hoping for a third...
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:56 am
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
We are going in July and I am also wondering how the exchange process will work. It was suggested to me that when, say, eating in a restaurant and after receiving the check, casually ask what the price will be if we pay in US Dollars (cash/efectivo)? It was also suggested to change dollars at the airport, although this is something I almost never do. When we were last in Argentina (Feb 2020) ATMs would limit withdrawals to something like $50 US-equivalent and with a $10 fee - not ideal.
This is different and this I can help with. Argentina in general functions on the Peso (ARS). The only exceptions are some hotels or some very touristy things (activities, tours, ..) and maybe real estate, that's where my question came from.

When paying, you have 3 options:
  • check indeed whether they accept USD in cash, and at which rate. You will find both, the blue rate and the official rate (which is roughly 50% worse than the blue rate).
  • pay in cash in ARS: You should either exchange upfront in an exchange place, e.g. on Calle Florida in BsAs, or exchange via Western Union (send yourself USD which they will convert to ARS at the blue rate). Only downside here: You need to estimate your budget ahead of time. Don't ever withdraw cash from an ATM, you will get charged the official exchange rate.
  • pay with credit card in ARS. This is new, since roughly December most banks will exchange at a near-blue rate (blue minus 10%). You can test this ahead of the trip by buying a cinema ticket somewhere online and seeing what arrives to your credit card.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 2:43 pm

Anybody had any experience with the concierge team arranging tours or other adventures to wineries and/or sightseeing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.