Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:58 pm

Yes, same experience here with DSU, 2 bedrooms that they removed the bed from one and put in a couch with a long Z hallway in between.

Absolutely do not use a DSU here!

I have only been here during club closures, so can't comment on that. The breakfast in the restaurant was nice.

I don't have a general disdain for the place, and frankly don't see the Motel6 comparison.

We have stayed at the Loden just down the street - it is lovely.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Absolutely do not use a DSU here!.
That about sums it up... Don't ever get a suite here.

What bothers me most is the misrepresentation I feel is made. And therefore feeling lied to and setup for a disappointment. What I got was simply 2 connecting rooms, not a suite.

But I'm now in one of the "executive suites". The layout isn't that much better, still the result of combining two rooms. But the connection is a bit better, there still is a door separating the bedroom from the hallway... but it's not a double door that cannot even be opened fully. And instead of two mediocre bathrooms there is now one that is bigger and a more kitchen like area with a better coffee machine.

The bathroom is where the motel6 reference was for. Having to step into a, very small, bathtub to get a shower is not what I expected here. And as mentioned before the bathrooms were oddly designed with a washbasin that was also way too low. That is better in this version as well.

I rather dislike having to play the status card, simply give me the better room if it's available without me having to ask for it. By offering it to me now that negative experience is still there. Even with the partial sea view I have now....

The Loden came up in my search for an alternative as well, looked nice. I'm back in the city in September so I will need a place to stay then.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:03 am

This property has some amazing suites on the top floors, including a few that are two level. Of course, they are not generally DSU-eligible.

I personally don't have any concerns with the standard suites. The two-room layout is more spacious than a typical Junior Suite, and it allows one to watch TV, get work done, etc while someone is sleeping in the adjacent room. Not sure where all the anger is coming from!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That there are great suites available when I'm not in one doesn't really help :-). But I see what you mean when I look at the floorplan. There seem to be rooms that don't have an odd layout...

And the "anger" is just disappointment at being fobbed off with two connecting rooms instead of a suite...that's a setup that's useless to me and not what I booked. Combine that with the mediocre quality of both of those rooms, and I feel cheated. But it's like with most things.... I really should have done more homework and read that the standard suites are not quite that. Even better would have been an honest answer when I questioned them about my "upgrade" when that reservation showed two rooms.

So to be helpfull to others who might read this when considering this property and booking a "suite". This is exactly what I have gotten so far, when booked on a P+C rate and a DSU (I know I'm every properties worst revenue generating guest with this...):

-Room 1 and 2 sold a a suite. Two doors, two roomnumbers, essentially what was mentioned by balkitad two standard rooms where one bed was taken out and replaced by a sofa/bed. Two bathrooms, two chairs and two desks. Bathrooms were very mediocre with a washbasin that was about 15-20cm's lower than standard and to take a shower you had to step into a very small bathtub. Regular average coffee machines. Small balcony in the room with the bed. And connecting the rooms a double set of connecting doors where one could only be opened partially so you almost had to squeeze through. Very impractical layout as well.

- Room 3, more like an actual suite. One door, one room number, still a bit of an odd layout where the living room is at the end of a hallway, one bigger bathroom in the bedroom with a small kitchen like area at the end of the hall. Same balcony area in the bedroom. Oddly decorated bathroom though, more like an ADA design, big shower area with a seat and no bath. Toilet placed right next to the wasbasin (that is at the right height this time) when there's plenty of room for a better position. Upgraded coffee machine. Small and impractical closet in the bedroom.

Even that new room falls short of what in my definition a decent suite should be. No bath (I appreciate a nice soak after a long day), no seperate toilet and not a decent sitting area (chair isn't bad but the sofa/bed is). And still a bit awkward in layout. Plus minor inconveniences like light switches outside of the bathroom, motion activated AC in the rooms so it get's really hot when not there, centrally controlled light (very, very bright) on the balcony with no way to switch off in the evening or night when you want a dark bedroom, etc. Small and cramped lounge and nothing as a welcome letter (not that I normally care but it's just more proof that the property doesn't actually pay attention).

Still, If they just had offered me the room I'm in now that would have prevented most of the disappointment. That's what it's all about, meeting expectations. A DSU should be worth something. I can get by with a standard room just fine if I know that's what I'm getting.

And just to be clear, staff I interacted with in general have been great so far so no complaints about that. But looking at the hotel as a whole it's simply a very average HR property, nothing that makes it the least luxurious. Location is good though, but rates are quite high for what you get so I will still be staying with the competition next time.

But it's a beautiful day outside (again) so I'm not going to be in the room for long :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:49 pm
Used to be hamajicky

What are the hours of the RC here? I've got a stay in August and wondering if I'll get RC closure points.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't count on it.... They only seem to close the club in the off-season, August isn't exactly that.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:44 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
Iirc in the past weekend parking at Hyatt garage was much cheaper ($12?). You may want to call them and check if this is still tje case. I don't remember though if the discounted rate was via Hyatt or directly at that parking garage.
Is this still the case for Sunday nights?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Stayed at this hotel after spending a night at Fairmont pacific rim. I knew I was going to be disappointed but for 12k/night, I am satisfied. This is a standard business hotel like courtyard and it is in very good condition. It was built or renovated in 2005 and everything works and you won't feel like staying in a worn out tired hotel (unlike many radissons or marriotts). The location is pretty decent too. 5 min walk to canada place, shopping on Robson St, restaurants on Granville St and public transit.

We parked at 509 Hornby. The overnight charge was $5.5 and when we checked out at 11am, we were charged another 5.5 for a total of $11. This was much more affordable than the hotel parking.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
First time at this Hyatt for me and no complaints. Clean, well maintained room on 29th floor. Breakfast in Club Lounge and hors d'oeuvres in the evening offered a nice selection of dishes. Small charge for alcoholic drinks. Staff in Lounge always helpful. Great location in Vancouver and only two blocks from the Sky Train station
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad
I agree the suites are disappointing at this property, just connecting rooms with a long awkward hallway in between. No upgraded bathroom, still just tub showers with the same anemic 'water-saving' low-flow sprinkler shower head and a single sink.
@baliktad do you recall if your room was confirmed as a "Junior Suite"? Mixed reviews at the property over the last year and am wondering how they could be so divergent?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know that when I used a DSU that I could see that two reservations were made.... was suspicious at that time, and that was confirmed when I got the standard entry level suite. Basically two rooms with a connecting door and a very bad layout, the most useless suite I ever did get.
For the rest the hotel is just a very basic HR, the lounge is very small and unattractive. But the location is good.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:50 am

I think the following statement may sum up all of Hyatt's Canadian properties:

"Well located, but disappointing hard product."

How can every Hyatt in Canada need renovation? (Disclaimer, I have never been to Calgary)

Last edited by BobR; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed a handful of times this past year. Yet to get a suite upgrade. I quite enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant when the club was closed.

Had a couple one night stays in December before/after going to Whistler. The Whistler shuttle picks up and drops off right at the hotel, which was nice.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Suite is indeed useless. I wasted an expiring DSU on a 1-night stay and spent no more than 15 minutes in the connector room.

Given the set-up, I can't imagine anybody is upgraded to a suite. They are simply sold to people who might want a second room due to family size, etc.

As mentioned, this property is nothing special, but stay for 1 night pre Whistler and 1 night post, with the lounge closed, and that's 3500+ points per night for Diamonds plus a decent restaurant breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.