Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No matter how many decades I stay here I never feel at check in like they think I’ve ever been there before.

My only advice in closing is sometimes speak up and get on the phone with a front office manager.
They sometimes politely need to be reminded that recognition when possible should be honored for your loyalty
I actually reached out via chat to the Hyatt Concierge group prior to this last stay asking them to do it on my behalf. Because I hate being that person at check-in. No difference.

As a business traveler, I don’t use the benefits like the breakfast and there’s no way I’m going to justify paying for a suite. But I do appreciate the extra space when I’m in my room working and not at the client. I can’t be the only one who fits this profile. It just seems likes that’s the whole reason loyalty exists - those rooms sitting empty seems a little bonkers.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
They sometimes politely need to be reminded that recognition when possible should be honored for your loyalty
even if it may mean acting out of the cookie cutter recognition of a room.
You mean reminding them that they should be providing more than their well publicised and transparent loyalty benefits (which, in my experience, this property is pretty consistent in providing)?
bsdstone, dpb132, skj and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
There was an article about Parker (PH Chicago's dog / "assistant bellhop") in the Porter Airlines seatback magazine. Very interesting!
That good boy has a permanent spot on my desk. Miss him and Mr Walker from PH Melbourne.
HighNorth likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Staying at the property right now and I must say what a fantastic renovation! the Chicago Ave Suite I am staying is filled with high techs but they don't feel excessive and the quality of food from Nomi is much better the one I had in PH NYC. My only complaint is probably Parker was sleeping when I was checking in so didn't get to say Hi and give her a hug.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:00 pm

Stayed here over the holiday weekend on a free night certificate. Was upgraded as Globalist to a corner room (non-suite) on a high floor looking east over the Water Tower and with a clear view of the lake. I have been here several times before the refresh and, like many others, agree that it was really well done. Very comfortable mattress and bedding. Nice Chromecasting feature on the TV to put your own media/streaming services up (need the Hyatt app, but it works really well). Only "complaint" is that there was no bathtub in the room. I don't know whether that holds true for all rooms, but this one just had a very nice shower.

Pretty much everything else is unchanged. NoMi is still good for breakfast. The hotel dog continues to live against all odds. Globalists get $50 for each adult and $25 per child. Pool, hot tub, and steam rooms are all open. Gym equipment is in impeccable condition. For those of you into fitness, they have both a Peloton and a Tonal.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 2:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
Stayed here over the holiday weekend on a free night certificate. Was upgraded as Globalist to a corner room (non-suite) on a high floor looking east over the Water Tower and with a clear view of the lake. I have been here several times before the refresh and, like many others, agree that it was really well done. Very comfortable mattress and bedding. Nice Chromecasting feature on the TV to put your own media/streaming services up (need the Hyatt app, but it works really well). Only "complaint" is that there was no bathtub in the room. I don't know whether that holds true for all rooms, but this one just had a very nice shower.

Pretty much everything else is unchanged. NoMi is still good for breakfast. The hotel dog continues to live against all odds. Globalists get $50 for each adult and $25 per child. Pool, hot tub, and steam rooms are all open. Gym equipment is in impeccable condition. For those of you into fitness, they have both a Peloton and a Tonal.
we didn’t get 50 per person so it looks like they upped their game 👍
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Had a weekend stay for a special occasion - and have mixed feelings. It's a nice property overall, especially for a "free" stay using a certificate. Just as the poster above, upgraded to a corner room (or offered a paid upgrade to a premium Gold Coast Suite at $500/night). The corner room layout is somewhat odd with a long and narrow hallway that is blocked by closet doors when trying to get things in/out. Our room also had a weird unusable "balcony/facade detail" blocking some of the view, and very poor soundproofing - could hear everything happening in the room next door or in the hallway.

New room design is ok, but is more reminiscent of an Andaz than a Park Hyatt. Some closet drawers were already coming loose. Nice bedding, but towels were a bit scratchy... and don't get me started on "institutional" toilet paper. Only one robe in the room, which was odd. Breakfast credit was the same as mentioned above - $50/adult, and can be used for room service, except for the delivery fee and (auto) tip. It cannot be used for Sunday brunch, and actual breakfast service is only until 10 am on Sundays, so no sleeping in late, and no more sushi for breakfast.

Service was nice, but not really screaming "luxury hotel" - and there's absolutely no "above and beyond" here. Oh, and they no longer have a house car. If not needing Hyatt nights or burning certificates, there are much better luxury hotels in the city, unfortunately.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by sch_flyer
Had a weekend stay for a special occasion - and have mixed feelings. It's a nice property overall, especially for a "free" stay using a certificate. Just as the poster above, upgraded to a corner room (or offered a paid upgrade to a premium Gold Coast Suite at $500/night). The corner room layout is somewhat odd with a long and narrow hallway that is blocked by closet doors when trying to get things in/out. Our room also had a weird unusable "balcony/facade detail" blocking some of the view, and very poor soundproofing - could hear everything happening in the room next door or in the hallway.

New room design is ok, but is more reminiscent of an Andaz than a Park Hyatt. Some closet drawers were already coming loose. Nice bedding, but towels were a bit scratchy... and don't get me started on "institutional" toilet paper. Only one robe in the room, which was odd. Breakfast credit was the same as mentioned above - $50/adult, and can be used for room service, except for the delivery fee and (auto) tip. It cannot be used for Sunday brunch, and actual breakfast service is only until 10 am on Sundays, so no sleeping in late, and no more sushi for breakfast.

Service was nice, but not really screaming "luxury hotel" - and there's absolutely no "above and beyond" here. Oh, and they no longer have a house car. If not needing Hyatt nights or burning certificates, there are much better luxury hotels in the city, unfortunately.
Which Chicago hotels do you recommend? The PH seemed like the best one I could find in town, chain or not chain.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
Which Chicago hotels do you recommend? The PH seemed like the best one I could find in town, chain or not chain.
Take a look at the Langham. One of the best US city hotels hotels in my book.
Dave510 and WasKnown like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by sch_flyer

We've also spent 3 weekends here in the last 3 months and i have a few comments. Our experience was completely different, in a positive way. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite all 3 times as a Globalist with a great view. They have one robe hanging in the closet. The second is always in the drawer below that.

We had zero issues with sound during all 3 stay. You are wrong about Sunday brunch. All 3 stays, we ate after 10 and all 3 times received the $100 credit. Didn't get sushi, but did get the burger once, though my preference is egg skillet.
jerry a. laska and Dave510 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
Many people consider the Langham and the Peninsula to be the only hotels in Chicago worthy of being called 5 star hotels.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just checked in, used a soon to be expiring Cat1-7 cert, for a one night stay. First time at hotel, initial impressions after about one hour here…..
  • Staff and check in experience is top notch
  • Offered Globalist complimentary suite upgrade at check-in, gave me choice of Park, NoMi or Water Tower suite
  • Suites weren’t ready but they checked my bag and put a rush on Park suite. Said 1 hour and I got a text in 30 minutes
  • They had already delivered my luggage to my room so I didn’t have to deal with it, nice touch
  • Room is really great, very large separate living room overlooking park below and water tower. Separate “water room” in bathroom with tub and shower combo
  • Saw old Parker, the one-eyed pug, hobbling slowly in the lobby, he says hi to everyone. Get here soon as he doesn’t have much time left
  • Toured 7th floor : NoMi looks awesome, patio is lovely with flowers blooming. Staff gave me a personal tour of the spa, pool, fitness and locker room
Sad I’m only here one night. This place is on a different level than the HR on Whacker, which is where I stayed the previous night. I knew this but seeing is believing. Not sure about previous posts saying this place has gone down hill over the years but if this is downhill than I’m ok with that.

Let me know any questions….time for a run on lake shore….
bsdstone, dpb132, Dave510 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
Many people consider the Langham and the Peninsula to be the only hotels in Chicago worthy of being called 5 star hotels.
I have stayed at both hotels. With the reno and suite upgrade, free parking, and Nomi breakfast as Globalist PH Chicago wins by a (Magnificant) mile. It is my favorite Hyatt Hote to date and I have stayed in suites at most of the top ones.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 5:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
We had zero issues with sound during all 3 stay. You are wrong about Sunday brunch. All 3 stays, we ate after 10 and all 3 times received the $100 credit. Didn't get sushi, but did get the burger once, though my preference is egg skillet.
Part of the sound issue was likely due to the fact that there was a connecting room to ours, and the doors between had not been sufficiently soundproofed. I would specifically avoid any connecting rooms here. As far as brunch not being included in breakfast credit, that is what we were told by the front desk when checking in - perhaps they were wrong, which wouldn't surprise me.
Old May 7, 2023, 6:29 pm

Building is in top-top shape after the renovations in 2022. $50 breakfast credit effectively good for 1 food item and 1 drink.
Only place I've seen with Toto washlets in the continental US, and there's two in two different bathrooms with showers in this Chicago Avenue standard suite:
bsdstone, Dave510, Tonyr4 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.