Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
i feel like i went to a different hotel after reading this thread i also got room 1208, but i loved it! it came with two full bathrooms, the one in the bedroom was handicap-accessible and had a tub/shower combo, while the other one had separate shower/tub/commode. maybe they did some re-arranging after reading the complaints here? anyways here are some pictures http://www.supload.com/gal/0512293147/0/
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:10 pm

Hmmm, that did look like an awfully big/nice room with a great view of the Water Tower and Lake Michigan! Maybe peteropny was mistaken and meant a different room number.

BTW in case anybody is interested, the huge wrap-around balcony of Rm 302 that I describe in a post above (one of the 3 "Terrace Rooms" at PH Chicago) can be seen behind the "Luma" street-sign in your last picture. One edge of the balcony of Rm. 307 (also a Terrace Rm.) can also just barely be seen in that same picture on the very righthand side.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Maybe configuration of the higher floors are different or perhaps it was because it was a handicapped accessible room. However, this room is definitely not the same as 608 which I did see the inside of before.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:38 pm

We stayed there for one night Dec 23rd and were preassigned room 1604. We usually like higher floors with better views vs larger rooms on lower floors. Overall it was a great room and a good stay. The room had a full view of the watertower and lake michigan. We could open the bathroom doors and view the windows as well.

Breakfast at Nomi was good. Very fast. We had the same view from our room.

We thought the pillows were a little over the top. There were two normal pillows and two giant pillows. One normal pillow would have been too small, and the large ones were too big.

The bathtub was nice and the hotel supplied bath salts and candles. It did take a long time for it to fill with water.

After the negative experiences others have had, surprisingly, those were our only complaints.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:23 pm
Banyan Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, *W Gold, Leader's Club (?worthless)
PH Chicago Doesn't Allow Suite Upgrades!

I tried to upgrade my prevailing rate reservation today and was told that the Park Hyatt Chicago will not allow you to use points to upgrade to a suite (this is not an availability issue, they simply won't allow you to use your points!). I was flabbergasted as I have never heard of a Hyatt refusing to even allow you to use points to upgrade. Anyone else heard of this at other Hyatt properties?
-ether
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Thumbs down Not Surprised....

This property again, huh...?

Never liked this property, and never will, due to the horrific service.

Calling this a "flagship" of Hyatt in the US is a slap in the face.

No matter, seems like they are doing just fine with business....why do they even need to bother with the Goldpassport Program...?

Even the PH Tokyo, which is MILES ahead of this "PH" Chicago, allows upgrade to a suite that is 3x bigger than the regular rooms at the prevailing rate.....

Forget about PH....stay at the Peninsula if you are paying rates in this range.... Peninsula at least gives you a true luxury hotel experience....the PH is a "four star" hotel....

I haven't looked back since my stay back in Nov...now it's Peninsula every time in Chicago....
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Originally Posted by jkc22
This property again, huh...?

Never liked this property, and never will, due to the horrific service.

Calling this a "flagship" of Hyatt in the US is a slap in the face.

No matter, seems like they are doing just fine with business....why do they even need to bother with the Goldpassport Program...?

Even the PH Tokyo, which is MILES ahead of this "PH" Chicago, allows upgrade to a suite that is 3x bigger than the regular rooms at the prevailing rate.....

Forget about PH....stay at the Peninsula if you are paying rates in this range.... Peninsula at least gives you a true luxury hotel experience....the PH is a "four star" hotel....

I haven't looked back since my stay back in Nov...now it's Peninsula every time in Chicago....
I can't disagree with you more. I've stayed at this property over 50 times and always received excellent service. It is my prefered option in Chicago. As to the suites-they have 3 ultra chic "Presidential" quality suites that are difficult to get upgraded to. However, they have quite a few standard suites featuring a separate bedroom and living room. The complimentary Diamond breakfast in the elegant Nomi restaurant is not to be missed-beats both the PH Vendome and Milan. The Diamond amenity is a full bottle of champagne (the real stuff) plus an appetizer from the restaurant.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:57 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I agree with jkc - I've stayed there probably about 5 times - and encountered problems everytime especially with room assignment (given a good room via 800-checkin and finding out upon arrival that I've been moved to a much less desirable room every time). Rooms are very well done and NoMi breakfast is great but service at this property is a joke.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:34 am

Programs: UA2P
This property is a joke. Back in April I had confirmed a 2 bed room and upon checkin was told only a king was available. Normally I request a king, but this time I was travelling with a friend and wanted 2 beds.
I asked for a roll away since they changed the room on me. Upon checkout they charged me for the roll away. It took until last week to get the refund.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by peteropny
...problems everytime especially with room assignment (given a good room via 800-checkin and finding out upon arrival that I've been moved to a much less desirable room every time)....
This is my main gripe as well. Every time....never fails.

I've always asked specifically calling the hotel front desk to have my amenity pre-delivered..... somehow, they always manage to send the amenity to the wrong room (my pre-assigned room).... What good is the Champagne and the chips plus dip if one cannot receive it....

This property needs to understand a "luxury" hotel experience requires a very important element.....the service staff.... which sadly, is the PH's weakest side...
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by jim87
I can't disagree with you more. I've stayed at this property over 50 times and always received excellent service. It is my prefered option in Chicago...
I can't disagree with you more. If you stayed there over 50 times you would have experienced their service (or lack of) many times. They were sharp several years ago but have gone done hill in recent years. Not sure if it has do to with new management or just cost/staff cutting. But their system is flawed. Slow service, the only property that does not even bother to check a guests elite status, constant problems with amenities, no more turn down amenity (except water) such as the tin of orange sticks they use to give. For the rates they charge, at close to half a grand a night, you should expect more.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:11 pm

PH Chicago upgraded me to a suite on graduation day, free of charge (no points, no certificate). Too bad I returned the cap and gown -- it worked like a charm!!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:41 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Does anyone know who the GM of the Park Hyatt Chicago is ? I think it is Moreau but I am not sure
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
PH Chicago rocks!

Originally Posted by westcoastman
I can't disagree with you more. If you stayed there over 50 times you would have experienced their service (or lack of) many times. They were sharp several years ago but have gone done hill in recent years. Not sure if it has do to with new management or just cost/staff cutting. But their system is flawed. Slow service, the only property that does not even bother to check a guests elite status, constant problems with amenities, no more turn down amenity (except water) such as the tin of orange sticks they use to give. For the rates they charge, at close to half a grand a night, you should expect more.
Just returned from PH Chicago. Fantastic stay. Yoyo Ma had recently departed and Bono checked in the day I left. Bumped into the GM in the lobby and he remembered my 81 year old parents who he had met just once, a year ago. Incredible cold breakfast buffet as a diamond and full bottle of champagne. View out over the iconic Water Tower to Lake Michigan. It's a wow.

Last edited by jim87; Oct 11, 2006 at 7:40 pm Reason: Should begin new thread
Old Oct 15, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have had nothing but stellar experiences here. Whether paid, points or FFN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.