Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
On the other hand, PH Chicago has been the hotel where I've gotton my very best Diamond Amenities ever. A bottle of Perrier Jouet champers (~$40-50 in the grocery store) and NICE chocolate covered strawberries!!! ^ And that was on an FFN stay as well. ^^
The diamond amenities here are consistently excellent, as is the entire hotel.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
D American Breakfast taken in room.

The charge of $28.13 is correct for American Breakfast for two taken in the room. Confirmed by front desk. A excellent stay.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The charge of $28.13 is correct for American Breakfast for two taken in the room. Confirmed by front desk. A excellent stay.
Great Price!^
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Stayed here this past weekend and overall, somewhat unimpressed given the hotel's vaunted reputation and price-point.

Tried to use the Diamond suite upgrade, which the Diamond-line supposedly confirmed when I made the reservation (put me on hold, talked to the hotel, etc.) but when I called the hotel a few days before my arrival to make sure things were in order they had no record of it. The front-office manager was going to check into it and let me know--he never called me back. Had to call a second-time and had a manager who told me that he would take care of it.

When I checked in was given a Park Suite on the 4th floor. I can't blame the hotel too much for this, but while it was a suite, it was dark and not very impressive, on the southside of the hotel so facing another building on Chicago Avenue, no view at all and lots of street noise. Opted to be downgraded 'back' to a Park View room higher up overlooking Water Tower place. So much for the suite.

Room was fine-- I actually had no issue with the TV, bed was very comfortable, but a couple of observations:
(1) shower leaked
(2) the bathroom fittings were loose
things you shouldn't see in a hotel of this caliber.

Diamond amenity-- was told by the front-office mgr when i checked in that i had a choice of wine and a cheese plate; chose to have it on the second night of my stay and was told to call in-room dining whenever i wanted it. they offered me a choice of EITHER the wine or the cheese; finally convinced them i got both. cheese plate was good but the "champagne" they gave me was a really mediocre spumante. nothing like others report here. after eating, called back to have them come pick up the tray as we were going out. was still sitting in the room 5 hours later when we came back from dinner, etc.

NoMI could not explain very well what was in the Diamond breakfast so we were very cautious about what we ordered (turned out everything except about $8, an F&B tax and some sort of service charge, was taken off the bill)

finally, hotel gave me difficulties on a checkout through 3 or 4 pm, even though when i checked in at 4 pm on Friday all of the other suites they could offer me were still occupied by guests.

i guess my expectations were quite high, and while it was an ok hotel, it was not as expected, and not worth the $300+ or so that we paid. i won't be rushing back anytime soon...

Edited to Add: the coffee at NoMI is some of the weakest i've ever had. just awful...

Last edited by kv99; Jun 1, 2009 at 4:21 pm Reason: Coffee
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by kv99
finally, hotel gave me difficulties on a checkout through 3 or 4 pm, even though when i checked in at 4 pm on Friday all of the other suites they could offer me were still occupied by guests.
To be fair to the hotel, late checkout is not a perk in the GP program, as much as many of us would like it to be. I have NEVER had much success in getting a late checkout at Hyatts (even the supposed 2PM late checkout request that ALL GP members can make). I'm normally happy if I can get a 1:30PM checkout, and often Hyatts try to talk me back down to 12:30PM or 1PM if I request 2PM. Frankly, if I know I'm gonna for sure need a late checkout, I will book with an IC or SPG where it's a guaranteed elite benefit.

Also to be fair to the hotel, it's very possible that they were just still cleaning the suites. Maybe they weren't checking out of their suites that day. Or possibly the people that DID check out of suites checked out at 1PM or so and so the suites weren't on the top of the "to clean" list of the housekeeping staff. Would have been nicer had they offered you a better suite, especially considering a lot of people seem to be getting some nice Diamond suite upgrades at other properties based on the other FT thread. However as long as they have any suite ready for you, that's basically all they are required to do, we probably don't have too much of a leg to stand on in being picky and choosy with what suites we get.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Originally Posted by gregorygrady

Also to be fair to the hotel, it's very possible that they were just still cleaning the suites. Maybe they weren't checking out of their suites that day. Or possibly the people that DID check out of suites checked out at 1PM or so and so the suites weren't on the top of the "to clean" list of the housekeeping staff. Would have been nicer had they offered you a better suite, especially considering a lot of people seem to be getting some nice Diamond suite upgrades at other properties based on the other FT thread. However as long as they have any suite ready for you, that's basically all they are required to do, we probably don't have too much of a leg to stand on in being picky and choosy with what suites we get.
nope -- was offered another suite but only later in the evening after the guest had checked out. agreed that they satisfied the letter of the requirement on the suite upgrade but only after they (or the Diamond line-- never got the whole story) screwed it up first.

look, it was an ok hotel; will just spend my $300+ a night elsewhere next time. the Ritz had a $325 B&B package which i would give a try to, for example.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Stayed here last week and not impressed. Checked in about 2:30PM and we were told that we had been upgraded to a Park King . At check in there was only rooms on the 3rd floor but were told to come back at 5PM and they would find us a higher room. Went back at 5PM and saw different staff - no other rooms available. Our room on the 3rd floor was small, dark and looking very tired, had a great view of a tree! It was also very noisy.

Didn't like NoMI at all. The staff were very snooty and service at breakfast was awful. Trying to get a second cup of coffee was impossible. Gave up after 20 minutes of asking on first day and had to physically stop someone to ask where the coffee we had ordered 30 minutes was on second day. Food was OK but nothing special.

Compared to other PH's that I have stayed at this is very low on my list. Not as bad as PH Melbourne but nowhere near the experience at the wonderful PH Sydney
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My wife and I had an enjoyable 1-night stay last weekend. We live in town, but like to head downtown a few nights a year for a points stay.

Checked in around 3:30, our room on the 13th floor was ready (no park view). Offered choice of Tribune, Sun Times, or NY Times. I had a platinum extras certificate, we chose the food and beverage amentity. Offered choice of red/white/sparkling. We had packed our own bottle of bubbly, so took the red. Turned out to be Frogs Leap Merlot, which they offer for $95 through room service (retail is ~$30). The food portion was a small cheese plate. Probably 6 pieces of cheese, crackers, and accompaniments (honey, walnuts, apricots). The room itself was very quiet and comfortable. Had a wonderful dinner at nearby Cafe Spiaggia (highly recommended, ask for a window table).

Our other spot when heading downtown is the Westin River North, a little further south. As far as location goes, I like the Westin better (we're not really there to shop on Mich Ave), but the Park Hyatt is a more refined hotel experience.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:17 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Diamond Suite Upgrades

I recently tried to use a Diamond Suite Upgrade, but was told by customer service that the Park Hyatt does not allow Diamond Suite upgrades ! Not only for the dates I had in mind, but period.

Has anyone made that experience before ? I thought all hotels participate and as long as there's a suite available one would get it ???
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by huegli
I recently tried to use a Diamond Suite Upgrade, but was told by customer service that the Park Hyatt does not allow Diamond Suite upgrades ! Not only for the dates I had in mind, but period.

Has anyone made that experience before ? I thought all hotels participate and as long as there's a suite available one would get it ???
This property only has a few suites and perhaps they are classified as "specialty" ones rather than a basic "entry" suite. The Diamond Suite upgrade is valid only on the "entry" suites and not the "specialty" ones.

This is definitely not globally true across the Park Hyatt flag.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Just completed a 3 night stay using an FFN (aka TNBT) award. Very nice hotel. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to return. Great views, fantastic high-end spacious room that is far nicer than photos at Hyatt.com suggest. My wife and I especially enjoyed the comfortable window bench and comfortable bath with view. Check in and out was straight forward and presented no issues or waiting. The room was promptly cleaned and serviced each morning while we dined at Nomi for breakfast. Given a nice table each morning in the "pod" and were looked after sufficiently. One modest disappointment was the artwork in the lobby depicting the Duomo in Milan is out on loan someplace and was replaced by a big Bloch of color that did not do much for me.

Last edited by schriste; Nov 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Here is a trip report of a recent stay at the PH Chicago. It is in the Luxury Hotels forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...t-chicago.html

Booked a Park room on a Virtuoso rate and as Diamond was upgraded to a Park View room. Tried to use the Suite Upgrade certificate but was told by the Diamond Line that the hotel does not participate in that program.

Was able to enjoy the NoMi breakfast for 2 in NoMi in the morning as the Diamond breakfast and received a bottle of champagne and some macarons for the Diamond amenity.

In comparison to the other luxury hotels in Chicago I felt this hotel to be weak overall. Not a great stay but not a bad stay either.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
We just stayed here for a quick night on Nov. 13th. As usual, we had a great stay...excellent service and upgraded to a Park Suite as we had our two young boys in tow!
LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel!^
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Spent last night here using an FFN for my wedding anniversary. As a diamond, not sure if I received a room upgrade... but got room 904 overlooking Mich Ave, and the Old Water Tower was pretty much directly outside of our window. Asked if I wanted the diamond food/beverage amenity or 1000 pts and I chose points. Was greeted with a "happy anniversary" at the front desk upon check in, which was nice, but our anniversary wasn't acknowledged in any other way.

Had difficulty sleeping - not because the bed wasn't comfortable, but it was rather warm in the room and with the thick duvet (and no top sheet) it made it difficult to fall asleep. Then at about 2:15 a.m., some infernal music started blaring through our room. I initially thought it was the NoMi lounge (since we were only two floors up), but my husband insisted it had just started and we would have noticed it earlier if it was the hotel. I called the front desk and complained and after about 15 minutes I heard security knocking on someone's door on our floor. They did turn down their music but it was still faint enough that I could hear it and thus had trouble falling asleep again.

Used their soaking tub this morning - AWESOME!! Didn't feel like going down for breakfast so I sent my husband and told him to just get the American breakfast since that's all that was free. He said that it was basically a continental brekfast, but it was good. I guess his server offered to pack me up some breakfast, so he brought back a box of assorted pastries and a banana for me in a nice box, replete with cloth napkin - so nice!!!

Location is awesome but I'm sure everyone knows that. We took buses around everywhere; the 146 bus goes directly from outside the hotel to the museum campus, where we visted the Adler Planetarium. Then took 146 back to State/Randolph to visit the Christkindlemarket.

We are talking about using an FFN again next month at this property - can't wait to go back! Hopefully, I won't have the sleeping issues next time.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by blase
As a diamond, not sure if I received a room upgrade... but got room 904 overlooking Mich Ave, and the Old Water Tower was pretty much directly outside of our window.
Yes, you were upgraded. The view is the key. Half the hotel faces away from the lake, thus have much less desirable views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.