Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Just had my first stay at the Park Hyatt Chicago. I've got to tell you after reading this thread I was really expecting to be somewhat dissapointed. Quite the opposite. Everything was above expectations, except maybe our view. The room was perfect - everything you need, nothing you don't. service was outstanding. food was great. roomservice was good and quick. massage was great. great pool, steam room and gym. will definitely return.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:52 pm

Post upcoming stay questions

Last edited by nonyflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:53 pm
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by nonyflyer
I'm staying here with two free night promotion certificates and have a few quick questions:

(1) Do you have to pay tax on the free night certificate? I noticed on the reservation that it says "taxes not included." Just wondering if there would be an unexpected fee at check in.

(2) How is this property loday? I know it has aged a little since the debut but am hoping everything is still in good shape. I have read some strange reviews about burn holes in the bathtubs, worn carpet, etc. Just was wondering if there's any truth to these reviews!

If anyone has stayed here recently, I really appreciate any insight you might be able to provide. I am taking my parents on vacation for the weekend and have been pretty excited about finally staying at this property!

Thanks!
I would definitively try the restaurant/Christophe David - one of the best chef Hyatt has worldwide. He opened both Paris Madeleine and Paris Vendome
http://www.nomirestaurant.com
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a recent three night stay at this property, my first. It was pretty much excellent. A few minor service lapses which wouldn't have happened at the PHT, but other than that a very, very good experience. I saw absolutely no evidence of ANYTHING worn or aged, at least in my room.

I was upgraded to a nice suite overlooking the water tower with a section of the lake visible in the distance behind the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Incidentally, internet access -- both wired and wireless -- was free.

I'd definitely stay here again if business took me to downtown Chicago. Unfortunately, work usually takes me out to the western 'burbs where the Hyatts aren't nearly as spectacular.

A few weeks after I got home, the hotel mailed me a nice hardbound coffee table book containing b&w photos of Chicago. Unexpected and a most kind gesture.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, WN CP
I stayed here in April on an extended FFN and the experience was great. Even using a FFN, they upgraded us to a suite because it was our anniversary and remembered our name whenever we walked through the lobby. We had great service and the room was spectacular!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
FFN stay

Originally Posted by ssalt
I stayed here in April on an extended FFN and the experience was great. Even using a FFN, they upgraded us to a suite because it was our anniversary and remembered our name whenever we walked through the lobby. We had great service and the room was spectacular!
Just stayed at the PH Chicago on a FFN. I love this place! As a diamond-champagne and an artisanal cheese plate(it's the only place I don't take the 1000 pts.), a view of the water tower, MCA and lake, fancy breakfast buffet overlooking Michigan Ave. First class service!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by jim87
Just stayed at the PH Chicago on a FFN. I love this place! As a diamond-champagne and an artisanal cheese plate(it's the only place I don't take the 1000 pts.), a view of the water tower, MCA and lake, fancy breakfast buffet overlooking Michigan Ave. First class service!
Just curious what kind of Champagne it is...

Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by HUGE AL

Thanks.
When I was there 2-3 years ago I got Perrier Jouet Champagne along with very nice chocolate covered strawberries. I saw the same bottle of Perrier Jouet for anywhere between $33-$50 in the stores.......................^

I agree this is one place to choose the Amenity over the 1k pts!!! ^
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Originally Posted by HUGE AL

Thanks.
Currently Nicholas Feuilette'.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Transport from ORD to Hotel. Diamond treatment.

Well I have always wanted to stay at this Hotel and it is finally going to happen. I do not even care about the weather. Can someone please comment on transport options from ORD to the Hotel? Aka least expensive ways. My conservative side shows. I am in around noon and out early. Also any comments on treatment of Diamonds. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
RTW, just take the L (Elevated Railway = above-ground Metro/ Subway)!
Fare is $2 or so 1-way for the 35-min. ride, or included in a 24-hour pass @ $5. Trouble is the L doesn't go all the way there but does come within a mile. Get off at the Chicago Ave. stop & either wait for an eastbound bus or atch a cab for about $5 + tip.
Taxi fare all the way is close to $50 & no faster because of freeway traffic.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

There's a train/subway stop within 1 block of the hotel. We dropped of a rental car in the city, and returned to the airport using the train.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:19 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Well I have always wanted to stay at this Hotel and it is finally going to happen. I do not even care about the weather. Can someone please comment on transport options from ORD to the Hotel? Aka least expensive ways. My conservative side shows. I am in around noon and out early. Also any comments on treatment of Diamonds. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
Take the Blue Line of the "L" from ORD into the city and then you have to change to the Red Line (northbound) - I forget at which station you change (Clark/Lake perhaps?). From the Chicago stop you're about 2 blocks west of the hotel.

Breakfast in NOMI is great (Lobster Benedict). Rooms are great. Service is abysmal (never kept the room given at 800-checkin, once not even the bed-type I had reserved, amongst other issues).
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The transfer between the blue and the red line, which is at Jackson, sucks. I found it easiest to just get off the blue line at Clark and cab it from there for under $10. Returning to ORD, I took a cab out Chicago blvd. to the blue line stop (need to walk down one flight of stairs for this).
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Right on, Richard! IIRC that's the one where U must walk 500 meters thru a tunnel - with luggage!
That's why I recommend getting off at the Chicago Ave. stop of the Blue Line, but Clark works, too.
Warning: The walk thru ORD to the L station is long. IMO it's designed to make U feel like a cheapskate for not taking a van or taxi !
Like SD1K, but in reverse: I sometimes take the L in, then pick up a rental car downtown 24 hours before flight time if I need a car for some reason, then return it to ORD or MDW in time for my flight. Hertz, Avis, National, & others are within walking distance or perhaps a 5-minute bus ride of most hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.