Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Great 1 night stay last weekend...chalk me up in the pro-renovation camp. Had a view right over the Water Tower (& down to the Lake), very nice. Love the gym here...grabbed a 2nd workout post-checkout prior to walking over to the Ambassador

Breakfast indoors due to the monsoon that hit Chicago that day...missed the al fresco aspect but good.

Cancelled plans to hit a fun restaurant the night before, did NoMI instead. Fantastic service & really good sushi...probably not the cheapest but hit the spot and was nice to stay on property.

For car-parkers - super easy to drop off, there is a link to a site where you can visually see the steps of your car retrieval ask.
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Booking & Check In
Booked direct on hyatt.com at 25k points/night for King, then used suite certificate via concierge to lock in a standard suite. Originally I was booked for a Gold Coast Suite, but they changed that to a Chicago Avenue Suite because Gold Coast is now a premium suite. Check in was straightforward and simple, they recognized Globalist and explained the breakfast situation ($50/person, $6/delivery for room service). It was efficient & pleasant.

Hotel & location
The hotel is beautiful inside and out. It doesn’t have the historic charm of some Park Hyatt’s (e.g., Vienna), but it’s sleek and modern, reminded me of the PH Milan ascetically. I also think the location is great. Mag mile is right there, but you’re on the edge of the touristy chaos, you have easy access to the lakefront walkway, plus other charming neighborhoods like Old Town are a short walk north. The redline is also nearby, but the subway/el is pretty inconsistent at this point. We were annoyed at the frequency of obnoxiously loud music or active smoking in the train cars.

Room
Like the rest of the hotel, the room is well designed. It has all the things you’d expect from a PH: a large bathroom with a soaking tub, comfortable bed (beautyrest black mattress), thick walls (never heard a neighbor), light/blind controls next to the bed, etc. HVAC also did a good job keeping the room comfortable. The windows deserve a special callout, because they’re better than any other PH I’ve stayed at. Sitting next to the window I can barely hear sirens–looks like there’s nearly an inch air gap between the innermost and outermost pane (most double/triple-pane windows have insufficient air gaps).

The Chicago Avenue Suite has OK city views, but nothing special. Next time I’d likely ask for a lake-facing suite instead (Park Suite or NoMi suite) which are smaller, but face the lake.

Some minor nits with the room, the automatic night lights in the bathroom turn on randomly. We also had to leave our bedroom door open because the thermostat was in the living area, and the bedroom got stuffy if we closed the door. Wifi strength in the bathrooms was pretty inconsistent (e.g., couldn’t stream music on our phones while getting ready in the bathroom). The blackout shades have no protection against light bleed.

Service
Breakfast in the restaurant was great. There’s no buffett, but there’s ample entrees and sides to choose from. Food/cooking quality was also top notch, honestly better than most PHs we’ve been to. Service was consistently good, though you might want to reserve a table by the window in advance, otherwise there’s a decent chance you’ll be stuck behind a giant pillar. We did room service breakfast once, and it was shockingly fast, 15 minutes from phone call to setup in our room.

Daily turndown service was also prompt and thorough. We literally never encountered housekeeping staff, but if our light was on and we were gone for more than 30 minutes the room would be turned over.

Overall service was solid, but there were a couple minor issues. One night we brought takeout dinner back to the room, and we asked the front desk for cutlery, they said “it’ll be right up,” but it took over 40 minutes. Also, we kept getting weird small charges for our breakfast, and they could never explain them so they just wiped them away (so they handled it, but it was just weird to have unexplainable charges we had to ask them to take care of). Last nit, I wish we could order room service with an app, instead of having to call.

Conclusion
I did mention some minor issues, but overall this was a great stay. It didn’t have the visual charm of the bank vault in PH Vienna or over-the-top PH NYC visuals – but overall it’s tied with the most seamless and pleasant overall stay I’ve had in a PH (the other being PH Milan). Factoring in the nightly cost of 21-25k points, it’s a no brainer.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:45 pm

Anyone know if the Chicago Avenue Suite has a refrigerator of any kind? I'd like to buy some beers and/or champagne and hope to keep them cold during my stay.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Never been in a 5 star without one
All rooms and suites had them since opening that I’ve been in
Always best to verify directly with the hotel none the less
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:32 pm

They do have a fridge, albeit small and completely filled with typical minibar items. I will sometimes remove the items and store my own drinks/leftovers without issue.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
They do have a fridge, albeit small and completely filled with typical minibar items. I will sometimes remove the items and store my own drinks/leftovers without issue.
some hotels are super cringe worthy with a charge for doing that 🙄
Ive encountered a half a dozen of them easily over the years
Thankfully the PH has a bit more class than that
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Anyone know if the Chicago Avenue Suite has a refrigerator of any kind? I'd like to buy some beers and/or champagne and hope to keep them cold during my stay.
The Revolution Anti-Hero stayed nicely cold in mine last month
bsdstone likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The Revolution Anti-Hero stayed nicely cold in mine last month
BOOM! I'm more of a stout guy, but appreciate the info!
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Complimentary upgrade notwithstanding, what would people recommend for couples between the "1 King Bed" or the "2 Queen Beds with Water Tower View" base rooms that are available for points?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcarberry
Complimentary upgrade notwithstanding, what would people recommend for couples between the "1 King Bed" or the "2 Queen Beds with Water Tower View" base rooms that are available for points?
King bed 10 times out of 10 - Water Tower view is nice but you also get that at breakfast
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
There was an article about Parker (PH Chicago's dog / "assistant bellhop") in the Porter Airlines seatback magazine. Very interesting!
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:12 am

Is the Wellbeing Suite part of the Standard Suites? Would like to use my certificate at this hotel.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:56 pm

Stingy with the upgrades.

I’m on my third stay here in as many weeks and although it feels like a ghost town, I’ve again been given a pretty small room despite globalist status.

It looks like all the standard suites are sold out, but there are still premium suites available. I feel like most other Hyatt properties would note the globalist status and the 4K spend this month and give me the upgrade.

I’m going to try the Ritz across the street in January and see if they do better. I may regret putting the effort into getting globalist again this year instead of ambassador on Marriott (dropping to Titanium).
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by DrRobot
I’m on my third stay here in as many weeks and although it feels like a ghost town, I’ve again been given a pretty small room despite globalist status.

It looks like all the standard suites are sold out, but there are still premium suites available. I feel like most other Hyatt properties would note the globalist status and the 4K spend this month and give me the upgrade.

I’m going to try the Ritz across the street in January and see if they do better. I may regret putting the effort into getting globalist again this year instead of ambassador on Marriott (dropping to Titanium).
Sorry to hear
Looking back I was treated better here as a Diamond many years ago and upgraded into vip suites here
long before Hyatt promised a standard suite for top tier members based on availability
The Incomparable Monique Dekker was once the rooms division manager!
I feel obligated to use my confirmed upgrades here.

No matter how many decades I stay here I never feel at check in like they think I’ve ever been there before.
I’ve seen a big change at this and@some other Hyatt properties.Back in the day select Hyatt properties would upgrade to vip suites as long as they weren’t occupied.Any reasonable breakfast was complimentary.

I’m not certain all of these changes can be blamed on the pandemic however from the moment any Hyatt started
trying to upsell Globalists to higher category suites is the day i believe likely this is where the cancer began.
Although I still consider to stay this hotel with the nickel and diming at breakfast did lead me to trying other properties in the past year or two .My only advice in closing is sometimes speak up and get on the phone with a front office manager.
They sometimes politely need to be reminded that recognition when possible should be honored for your loyalty
even if it may mean acting out of the cookie cutter recognition of a room.A 5 star should go above and beyond and my recent stay at a Ritz Carlton certainly proved that by comparison suite wise minus the breakfast but a beautiful cheese and fruit plate with wine upon arrival.Though they too can vary.The best thing about having status with more than one program is you go where you are most appreciated and enjoy the experience.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DrRobot

Some Hyatts seem satisfied to just fulfil the 1 category upgrade and that's that. Hyatt seems to be going the way of "want a suite, book a suite" and they're not alone with that in the industry either.

You would think PH Chicago would note you're a Globalist return guest and upgrade more generously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.