Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I was here last weekend on a Virtuoso rate w/DSU. I was assigned 1107, an "Executive Suite" according to the placard outside the door of the room. I'm not sure if this was a "Grand Executive Suite" as is required to be available for the DSU, or what the difference between the two is, but it was a nice suite with great view.

There were a few physical issues- the floor going into the bedroom made a big dip and one of the can lights fell out of the ceiling randomly, but the service was great and we had a great time.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:41 pm
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Staying at PH Chicago in March, so thanks for all of your reviews so far. I'm thinking to apply a DSU in order to get into one of their suites, and wondering if they are providing a complimentary mini bar with a suite? And what suites they usually give with a DSU? Cheers!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Here now in a Park Executive Suite on a DSU. A night and day experience compared to my last stay a few months ago. Truly fantastic room, and great service (although they did not do turnover as requested when I left for dinner tonight). Actually feel like this room is worth rack rate, which is honestly rare for me and PH. The room is in much better condition than I would have expected considering the age of this hotel.

For the poster above me, no reason to indicate the minibar is free with a suite - I believe that is exclusive to PH AUH/DXB?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Here now in a Park Executive Suite on a DSU. A night and day experience compared to my last stay a few months ago. Truly fantastic room, and great service (although they did not do turnover as requested when I left for dinner tonight). Actually feel like this room is worth rack rate, which is honestly rare for me and PH. The room is in much better condition than I would have expected considering the age of this hotel.

For the poster above me, no reason to indicate the minibar is free with a suite - I believe that is exclusive to PH AUH/DXB?
Are you sure it wasn't the Grand Executive Suite? I just made a booking for early April and was denied applying a DSU since the Grand Executive Suite wasn't available. The Park Executive Suite was though.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Are you sure it wasn't the Grand Executive Suite? I just made a booking for early April and was denied applying a DSU since the Grand Executive Suite wasn't available. The Park Executive Suite was though.
I just called to try and do the same. Was told there was no Grand Executive Suite for DSU.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:53 pm

DSU ?

I called and received a confirmation email for a DSU 4 days ago (Park Hyatt Chicago.) I just received a call from Hyatt stating the hotel called them and said they did not have inventory for the DSU that was issued 4 days ago and that they shouldn't have issued the DSU. Hyatt rep is offering to move me to another hotel, of course there is only one Park Hyatt in Chicago so it will be at a hotel of lesser star rating in the Hyatt chain. I told her that I have a confirmed email, checked inventory myself before calling to book and was put on hold by the Diamond Line for 10 minutes as they called the hotel direct when this was booked. Again, she says there is nothing she can do. While on the phone I checked the inventory of the Park Hyatt C and I see availability for higher level suites and I told her I have no problem getting moved to one of those. She offered to call the hotel to ask. They offered to move me to a room, non-suite, with a view. I have a direct number to call Hyatt back, haven't done so yet... Thoughts, suggestions?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Sounds like you have a legitimate complaint to me. I don't think that you will get your suite because the hotel's unwillingness to offer an equal alternative likely indicates that they have already booked your room for a revenue stay, but you should push for the next best room and some additional compensation e.g. GP points, etc., and your DSU back (or a new one if you were using one of your FEB 16s).

Good Luck!

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 3, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Sounds like you have a legitimate complaint to me. I don't think that you will get your suite because the hotel's unwillingness to offer an equal alternative likely indicates that they have already booked your room for a revenue stay, but you should push for the next best room and some additional compensation e.g. GP points, etc., and your DSU back (or a new one if you were using one of your FEB 16s).

Good Luck!
Why am I not surprised at the incompetence of this property. I would contact our Gold Passport Concierge staff here on Flyertalk and see what they can do. Otherwise the precious suggestion is sound but make sure the DSU that is returned is a new one since the old one expired on Monday.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:20 pm

Interesting how these "issues" or "accidents" tend to move with a certain GM from Chicago to NY back to Chicago...
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I decided to give this hotel a try for a night on Memorial Day weekend and DSU'd into the Grand Executive Suite. Usually I don't use a DSU for a one night stay but it was use or lose on Feb 29 and none of my other reservations at the time made sense to use a DSU. I have to admit to being a bit tentative about staying after reading the mixed reviews which is why its just a one night stay.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Miesque
I decided to give this hotel a try for a night on Memorial Day weekend and DSU'd into the Grand Executive Suite. Usually I don't use a DSU for a one night stay but it was use or lose on Feb 29 and none of my other reservations at the time made sense to use a DSU. I have to admit to being a bit tentative about staying after reading the mixed reviews which is why its just a one night stay.
The mixed review will have it even more enjoyable. I think you will have a good experience.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
I wouldn't consider this as a place to avoid, most of the concern noted here is that the hotel does not provide service that is worthy of PH prices. The two times I have stayed here I thought the service was fine (but I didn't ask much of them). If you think you are paying a reasonable price then I am confident you will have a better stay here than at the Holiday Inn Rosemont (or the nearby Weston, or the Drake, or the HR or the HMM....).
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by BobR
I wouldn't consider this as a place to avoid, most of the concern noted here is that the hotel does not provide service that is worthy of PH prices. The two times I have stayed here I thought the service was fine (but I didn't ask much of them). If you think you are paying a reasonable price then I am confident you will have a better stay here than at the Holiday Inn Rosemont (or the nearby Weston, or the Drake, or the HR or the HMM....).
I agree. I've stayed here 4-5 times and don't have anything bad to say about the service. I've been upgraded to the Gold Coast Suite on a plain C&P stay and they had a great cake with balloons and flowers for my wife's birthday last year. The service isn't world class, but its in line with a 4.5 star US hotel in my experience. The physical planet is slightly older, but the pool, spa and rooptop bar are all great in my opinion. Go in with reasonable expectations and I think you will be pleased.

All that said, the DSU shenanigans really piss me off. There is no difference in the Park and Grand Executive Suite. The website uses the exact same photos and the descriptions are word-for-word. At least put in some effort and change the description if you are going to screw over diamonds. I'm staying here again in April and it just gives the stay a negative start.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
For the past two years I have moved all my stays in Chicago to the Langham and never looked back, I don't miss the Park Hyatt Chicago.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by BobR
Agreed - the problem is that the property is positioned in the group at the top of the market in terms of pricing, this is where it really falls down.

I usually stay here when in Chicago but always on points or with a DSU applied but would not consider doing so even at slightly discounted rates (AAA) without a DSU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.