Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Just providing a quick update, the hotel comped me 25k in points which is fair. I would not have stayed there the night where all the service problems occurred and that was the equivalent of one night. Lesson learned always temper expectations and you will be happy.
I've been experiencing poor service at PHs recently. Nothing as bad as yours but seems to be an overall decline. Rooms not ready, stay preferences not met, atrocious food, chintzy cutbacks and no service recovery.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Had a two night weekend stay here earlier this month - booked a second room through Virtuoso for my in-laws so that we could all have breakfast together. Both rooms were upgraded to water tower view rooms - adjoining but not connected. 4PM checkout was also extended to both rooms as was an early check in of around 11AM. Virtuoso came with a $100 credit good for anything except valet and laundry.

I liked everything about about the room - very comfortable chair for lounging, no noise from the hallway or neighbors, and a beautiful view of the water tower and lake. There is some street noise from the fire department and etc. but not enough to bother me. We all loved the breakfast and I especially liked the poached eggs with crab. All staff were very friendly and kind and my two year old son received a Park Hyatt Chicago backpack, water bottle, and activity kit from the front desk when we checked out. Speaking of two year olds, there is a playground immediately on the other side of the water tower, roughly a two minute walk. Very convenient with a toddler and bigger-kid section.

I also thought the housekeeping was excellent - the sort of place where I would take one of the free bottles of water from the room, go out for a bit, and fresh bottles would be there when I got back.
Not much else to say that hasn’t been said. My only complaint would be my in-laws don’t stay at Hyatts very often - got used to the Park Hyatt - then my father-in-law was absolutely shocked when we rolled into the Hyatt ORD after our stay here before flying home. “How can this Hyatt be so much less nice than the Hyatt we were just at???” Truly a very pleasant stay enjoyed by all.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Stayed at the Park Hyatt over the weekend on a Prive rate as a Globalist. Not impressed, especially after checking the updated folio. Read on for a more detailed mini-review.

Arrival:
We used SpotHero for parking, and booked a spot at the garage literally across the street. Walking up to the Hyatt, the doormen are there, but beside pushing the handicapped entrance button don't really do anything. The lobby is small and dark and feels like an office building reception. The check-in was quick, and reasonably friendly, but they did not see any of the notes on the reservation placed there by the Prive advisor (it was a special occasion). No suite upgrade; the confirmed Prive room type (Lake View King) was not ready, so put in a lower floor "Water Tower View" room. We had lunch at NoMi before heading to the room to allow staff to ready the room as it was not pre-assigned, and we were curious as to the Prive amenity at this hotel.

Room:
When we finally got to the room after lunch about an hour after check-in, there was no amenity waiting for us, even though front desk knew we went to NoMi; it was delivered later in the afternoon, consisting of a bottle of Evian and a bowl of fruit.
One cool feature of the room (and I believe there's only one room like this at the hotel) was a large outdoor terrace - although with weather in upper 30s, it was of limited use. Not much of a view from the room, or the terrace.
The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom large and well equipped with amenities and plush towels.

Housekeeping/Service and F&B:
The service was decidedly not at "Park Hyatt" level, and while nothing was outwardly bad, there were a lot of small "misses". Beside the amenity not being set up, requests for specific housekeeping items were not correctly fulfilled (wrong things brought up to the room). We expected the turn-down service to be done while we were out to dinner, alas, housekeeping knocked on our door after 9 pm asking if we wanted turn-down - what an odd time.
Food at NoMi was pretty good, especially sushi, and covered by the Prive credit and Globalist breakfast amenity. Note that on weekends,

Post-stay Support:
When checking the updated folio in my account on Hyatt.com, there was a sizeable charge for the minibar, which we did not touch during our stay. No updated folio was sent, and had I not checked, I would be stuck with this charge. There were supposedly multiple items removed from the minibar - not sure by whom. Telephone agent at Park Hyatt was not particularly nice either. Left a bad taste in my mouth - definitely not what I expect from a property of this caliber.

Terrace at the Park Hyatt - only one room at the property with this feature (Water Tower King room).
phant0m likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
Stayed at the Park Hyatt over the weekend on a Prive rate as a Globalist. Not impressed, especially after checking the updated folio. Read on for a more detailed mini-review.

Arrival:
We used SpotHero for parking, and booked a spot at the garage literally across the street. Walking up to the Hyatt, the doormen are there, but beside pushing the handicapped entrance button don't really do anything. The lobby is small and dark and feels like an office building reception. The check-in was quick, and reasonably friendly, but they did not see any of the notes on the reservation placed there by the Prive advisor (it was a special occasion). No suite upgrade; the confirmed Prive room type (Lake View King) was not ready, so put in a lower floor "Water Tower View" room. We had lunch at NoMi before heading to the room to allow staff to ready the room as it was not pre-assigned, and we were curious as to the Prive amenity at this hotel.

Room:
When we finally got to the room after lunch about an hour after check-in, there was no amenity waiting for us, even though front desk knew we went to NoMi; it was delivered later in the afternoon, consisting of a bottle of Evian and a bowl of fruit.
One cool feature of the room (and I believe there's only one room like this at the hotel) was a large outdoor terrace - although with weather in upper 30s, it was of limited use. Not much of a view from the room, or the terrace.
The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom large and well equipped with amenities and plush towels.

Housekeeping/Service and F&B:
The service was decidedly not at "Park Hyatt" level, and while nothing was outwardly bad, there were a lot of small "misses". Beside the amenity not being set up, requests for specific housekeeping items were not correctly fulfilled (wrong things brought up to the room). We expected the turn-down service to be done while we were out to dinner, alas, housekeeping knocked on our door after 9 pm asking if we wanted turn-down - what an odd time.
Food at NoMi was pretty good, especially sushi, and covered by the Prive credit and Globalist breakfast amenity. Note that on weekends,

Post-stay Support:
When checking the updated folio in my account on Hyatt.com, there was a sizeable charge for the minibar, which we did not touch during our stay. No updated folio was sent, and had I not checked, I would be stuck with this charge. There were supposedly multiple items removed from the minibar - not sure by whom. Telephone agent at Park Hyatt was not particularly nice either. Left a bad taste in my mouth - definitely not what I expect from a property of this caliber.

Terrace at the Park Hyatt - only one room at the property with this feature (Water Tower King room).
I guess that terrace is sort of cool but it looks like it's an after thought in an alley or something.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
I guess that terrace is sort of cool but it looks like it's an after thought in an alley or something.
It's actually the rooftop of the 3-story building next door, but I agree, it feels very "enclosed".
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:30 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All
Sorry to hear about the disappointments.I suppose everyone's expectations and needs vary but here is my take
My last stay was fairly close to outstanding especially after a very sad night at the Hyatt Regency which has really declined in almost every way especially the once nice Regency Club
Worse the attitudes of team members ran from very inexperienced to uncaring in the club with poor and in some cases spoiled offerings with insects flying around

I switched to the Park Hyatt Chicago next day after a long hiatus with a confirmed suite upgrade I was most pleasantly surprised
First the air quality and the hotel felt clean and fresh the view were awesome looking out over Lake Michigan,clock tower and Michigan Ave
Our deluxe Breakfast was very good with caring efficient polished humble service (Please learn Park Hyatt New York) everything was included ^
From near perfect soft and supportive comfortable bed & beautiful high quality linens it was a solid stay.
I've seen better team members since opening but I found more than a few I liked and would go back in a heart beat
The competition is stiff in Chicago for good value so that would be the only possible sticking point in returning.So many nice properties to choose from
Great hotels & restaurants if it wasn't for the winters I might live there
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:34 pm

Any Hyatt forum member

VALID Through the end of this month I have a $25 dollar credit voucher good in NOMI Kitchen anytime except breakfast or room service
Message me if interested and I will send it along
Cheers
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
The lobby is small and dark and feels like an office building reception.
More like a natural history museum with several built in display cases under spotlights (hence the dark lobby) featuring the most astonishing, ancient meteorites, fossils and the like. Hope you didn’t miss.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken
I wonder if this was added after he arrived (or if it was always there):

Saw this outside the PH's front door about a month and a half ago.
is this still the case? Is the hotel pet friendly? Any recent renovations to the rooms? They look a bit dated.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

is this still the case? Is the hotel pet friendly? Any recent renovations to the rooms? They look a bit dated.

it’s funny how some decribe the Park Hyatt Chicago as dated
i stayed there in the past number of months and was delighted with my stay
Most of the staff was welcoming and the suite which I confirmed in advance was well above industry standards
I would debate calling my accomdation dated,In fact for those that appreciate good architecture
its simply a timeless modern design with very comfortable beds not to hard not to sofft with clean well circulated air
Housekeeping did a near perfect job and the room was in excellent condition
Coming from the Hyatt Regency Chicago where I checked out early in disgust ( the hotel is a shadow of its former self) I was delighted
The breakfast and the service @ The Park Hyatt solid and could teach another Park Hyatt in a major East Coast city what to do
And there was no back stabbing up charges for a plate of fruit and a muffin as extra sides ^
Old May 19, 2019, 9:24 am

Not worth it

Stayed there recently. Simply put, there is a lack of care of the physical facilities and some service standards have slipped to unacceptable levels.

Not upgraded as Globalist but I understand that it is based on availability, so no hard feelings about that. Just a data point for those concerned.

Room was showing serious signs of wear. Handle to the door for the toilet was so loose it was about to fall off. The marble box that holds toiletries had so many chips it look like it had been dropped from a great height repeatedly. Many parts of the room have a general tired look that comes from wear. The tub was a positive - both deep and wide.

Housekeeping management deserves a special ding. While there is a coffee machiene was in the room, the box with the pods was empty. Used the tablet to request turndown at 630 and left empty coffee pod box on bed. Returned at 9 and no one had come. The price menu for the minibar had a large coffee stain on it. Pictures askew on the walls. Simply put, no one is monitoring quality.

The lack of care showed in other ways. One of the two elevators had a paper "out of service" sign on it. It was not out of service, no one had bothered to take the signs down. Even with both elevators working, wait times were very long.

The gym equipment here is on par with the Hyatt Centric Mag Mile. Pool was fine. Locker rooms were adequate - no one was going to be spending any more time there than they needed to (which is not good for spa).

The place needs a massive overhaul and a new housekeeping management.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Does the hotel still have a dog?
Old May 19, 2019, 11:05 am

I didn't see one, but they are pet friendly
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Just noticed that the room photos online no longer seem to show an Eames Lounge chair. Have they been removed?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by schriste
Just noticed that the room photos online no longer seem to show an Eames Lounge chair. Have they been removed?
My suite had it this past Fall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.