Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
The executive suite photos do still show a white one in the bedroom, but not in the regular rooms.

Last edited by schriste; Jun 6, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Let me preface this by saying I have many fond memories of the PH Chicago and they have generally treated me well (especially upgrades, including once even to the penthouse suite). However, I do agree with a general tone in this thread that the property has gone downhill in recent times (particularly service levels) but I've regularly still booked here because of the goodwill from the past.

Unfortunately, my most recent stay was a comedy of errors - and all within just a few hours of checking-in (after a redeye) - culminating in a housekeeper barging in from the hallway via the bedroom door of my suite despite that I had the DND up on the main/living room door. (Note that there was not even a DND hang tag available on the door in the bedroom, so I don't know how I could have avoided this.) I decided to check out after that and I believe this is only the third time I've ever checked out of a hotel early. I decided to give management a chance to respond before posting here but to say they didn't address any of the issues might actually be an understatement.

In fairness, both the FD agent who checked me in and the doorman were very friendly - and the Glob room service breakfast was pretty good (at least after I finally got it.....).

While I'm posting, any opinion on the quietest Hyatt property in central(-ish) Chicago (I suppose the West Loop Hyatt House is technically west of Halsted)? Especially in regard to street noise.

Originally Posted by schriste
The executive suite photos do still show a white one in the bedroom, but not in the regular rooms.
I did have what appears to be one of these in my suite bedroom.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Depending on what day of the week, the Hyatt Centric in the Loop is very quiet...the weekends are REALLY quiet.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Depending on what day of the week, the Hyatt Centric in the Loop is very quiet...the weekends are REALLY quiet.
I felt the same way about theWit (DoubleTree), where I stayed a couple times. Weekends seemed really quiet (even with the club on the roof), weekdays were more YMMV. I hated the motions on the thermostat at theWit though.

I may try the West Loop Hyatt House next time as it's a new build. I probably prefer to be in River North but always visit West Loop on my trips so it's probably fine location-wise.

At the same time, between how unpredictable PH Chicago is now and how awful PHNY is, I'm really rethinking my loyalty to Hyatt (specifically my recent dash to LTG). These should be the flagship properties for the brand but they're closer to embarassments.
bsdstone and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar
I felt the same way about theWit (DoubleTree), where I stayed a couple times. Weekends seemed really quiet (even with the club on the roof), weekdays were more YMMV. I hated the motions on the thermostat at theWit though.

I may try the West Loop Hyatt House next time as it's a new build. I probably prefer to be in River North but always visit West Loop on my trips so it's probably fine location-wise.

At the same time, between how unpredictable PH Chicago is now and how awful PHNY is, I'm really rethinking my loyalty to Hyatt (specifically my recent dash to LTG). These should be the flagship properties for the brand but they're closer to embarassments.
Seems to be endemic with the flagship PHs and Park Hyatts in general. Asian flagship Bangkok is one of the worst hotels I've visited in a long time and I can't recall the last good PH stay I had.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Seems to be endemic with the flagship PHs and Park Hyatts in general. Asian flagship Bangkok is one of the worst hotels I've visited in a long time and I can't recall the last good PH stay I had.
Originally Posted by gengar
between how unpredictable PH Chicago is now and how awful PHNY is, I'm really rethinking my loyalty to Hyatt (specifically my recent dash to LTG). These should be the flagship properties for the brand but they're closer to embarassments.
You've summarized half of the reason I left Hyatt 7 years ago and why I remain loyal to SPG-now-Marriott.

In addition to Ambassador status being a huge boon, even better for me now with Marriott Bonvoy than it was even with wonderful SPG, the luxury and premium hotel options with the immense Bonvoy portfolio make it very easy to find an excellent option in almost any location I want. The RC Chicago isn't so good IMO, but the Gwen is wonderful. But in every other city, there are so many excellent luxury options as to make it so easy!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the hotel still have a dog?
yes. Saw her yesterday
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:40 pm

Just noticed that the room photos online no longer seem to show an Eames Lounge chair. Have they been removed?
Just completed a 3 night stay and can now answer my own question. Yes, they have been removed from the non-suite rooms due to age. Current replacement is rather sad in comparison. The Pritzker that was responsible for the construction of the hotel is probably rolling over in his grave as I read he personally demanded them.

Last edited by schriste; Sep 5, 2019 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If it makes anyone feel better, the RC rooms and suites are dreadful, and the WA has been suffering a slow decline much like this PH. So there really is no obvious outstanding points/loyalty program property--though the Gwen might get my vote for the time being.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
The Pritzker that was responsible for the construction of the hotel is probably rolling over in his grave as I read he personally demanded them.
Nick is still alive.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by HUGE AL
Nick is still alive.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...138-story.html

Front desk told me PHC is due for a renovation next year. As 777 mentions above, it is still a quality hard product. The bathtub is spacious and comfortable... 2 can easily fit. Excellent shower with good pressure. The view out across the water tower, Modern Art Museum, and lake is one of my favorites... very 3 dimensional with many layers of interest. Very comfy bed. Breakfast at NoMi is still excellent.

I hope the renovation will be more thoughtful than the current trend of a psychotic carpet and nothing on the walls except perhaps a purple blotch over the bed.
bsdstone likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Sep 5, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...138-story.html

Front desk told me PHC is due for a renovation next year. As 777 mentions above, it is still a quality hard product. The bathtub, although slow to fill, is spacious and comfortable... 2 can easily fit. Excellent shower with good pressure. The view out across the water tower, Modern Art Museum, and lake is one of my favorites... very 3 dimensional with many layers of interest. Very comfy bed. Breakfast at NoMi is still excellent.

I hope the renovation will be more thoughtful than the current trend of a psychotic carpet and nothing on the walls except perhaps a purple blotch over the bed.
I hope Yabu Pushelberg doesn't get the contract.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I have checked out the DC PH today and looking to book a Hyatt Property in Chicago for the week after next.

I am looking at the PH and Centric MM, the rates differ by around $125 per night, any suggestions or tips on how both properties treat Globalists?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by navatwal
I have checked out the DC PH today and looking to book a Hyatt Property in Chicago for the week after next.

I am looking at the PH and Centric MM, the rates differ by around $125 per night, any suggestions or tips on how both properties treat Globalists?
Both very nice. I think that price differential is in the ballpark. Both have free parking, but only on points/free stay. PH gives $72 breakfast reimbursement (not sure if that’s actually $36 per person), but that does not go far with coffee and OJ $6 each. Have heard reports that they will reimburse more as long as you do not go crazy. Centric has decent breakfast buffet, and is near a hospital, so you may hear sirens at night.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
FWIW breakfast at NoMi is a real treat - much more so than the Centric.
bsdstone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.