Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:16 pm

Really wanted to try using DSU on this property -- spent a week or so calling Hyatt to get one that works with C+P to no avail. And that's understandable, given the lack of Grand Exec Suite which they use for DSUs.

I thought I'd try the Hyatt Concierge Twitter team, and manage to snag one. I was really impressed by their efficiency & ability to seek out availabilities!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Overall negative experience. I stayed this past May - booked a water tower view room for 7 nights, and was given something on the 6th floor, which sounds like broken bottles and angry drunkards. After the first night, I requested to be moved, and had a wonderful "roof view" of some adjacent building. Slightly less noisy, but zero view.

Nomi and room service were fantastic, and the room design was nice. Seems that some of the rooms could use a bit of servicing, as some guests had abused furniture.

I'm not bothered that the DSU wasn't available (it happens), but I have the feeling we drew short straw twice, which is a pretty poor way to treat diamond members. Next year when I stay at Chicago, I'll be looking elsewhere.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I chose to spend my wedding night at this property and it was an absolute disappointment. We arrived late Saturday night after the reception, checked in, room seemed fine initially.. until we discovered that the bathroom was not clean. Dirty toilet seat (gross!!!) and a Swiffer mop left behind (um, thanks?). I tried cleaning the toilet seat with some Kleenex, only to discover that the stain was solidified/hardened onto the seat (euw!). There was junk on the floor (specifically, someone's old cell phone charger) which makes me wonder if anyone bothered to vacuum the room. Upon checkout, the front desk agent didn't even try to care when I mentioned the dirty room. "Sorry" was all I heard. Well, I am sorry I chose Park Hyatt Chicago for a special night.

Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by izzik
I chose to spend my wedding night at this property and it was an absolute disappointment. We arrived late Saturday night after the reception, checked in, room seemed fine initially.. until we discovered that the bathroom was not clean. Dirty toilet seat (gross!!!) and a Swiffer mop left behind (um, thanks?). I tried cleaning the toilet seat with some Kleenex, only to discover that the stain was solidified/hardened onto the seat (euw!). There was junk on the floor (specifically, someone's old cell phone charger) which makes me wonder if anyone bothered to vacuum the room. Upon checkout, the front desk agent didn't even try to care when I mentioned the dirty room. "Sorry" was all I heard. Well, I am sorry I chose Park Hyatt Chicago for a special night.
Wow what a disappointment!

Just for future reference, if there's a problem with the room like that, the thing to do is contact the front desk manager immediately.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow what a disappointment!

Just for future reference, if there's a problem with the room like that, the thing to do is contact the front desk manager immediately.
Calling the front desk at the time of discovery was not a realistic option.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Calling the front desk at the time of discovery was not a realistic option.
That's why I said "for future reference" . . . it wasn't a criticism.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
This is unacceptable for a high-end hotel. Especially when it's a special occasion for the guest (I hope you let them know).

My advice is that you write a detailed email to the management of the hotel (with Hyatt CS as cc) and inform them of your disappointment.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
This is unacceptable for a high-end hotel. Especially when it's a special occasion for the guest (I hope you let them know).

My advice is that you write a detailed email to the management of the hotel (with Hyatt CS as cc) and inform them of your disappointment.
I submitted the feedback form on the website. That usually gets a response, although I don't know who actually receives it first.

I don't keep track but the extreme majority of my check-out experiences includes something like, "How was your stay?" or "Did you enjoy your stay?".. no such question from the front desk guy. The nonchalant "Sorry" was unbelievable. How do they train their people over there? I walked away in disgust.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I chose to spend my wedding night at this property and it was an absolute disappointment.
You should have spent your special night in the next door neighbor It is only a one block away
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
You should have spent your special night in the next door neighbor It is only a one block away
I've even gotten better service across the street at the Ritz too. I can't comment on the Pen next door.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:29 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I submitted the feedback form on the website. That usually gets a response, although I don't know who actually receives it first.

I don't keep track but the extreme majority of my check-out experiences includes something like, "How was your stay?" or "Did you enjoy your stay?".. no such question from the front desk guy. The nonchalant "Sorry" was unbelievable. How do they train their people over there? I walked away in disgust.
I think this property serves as the training facility for Hyatt - and the "newbies" seem to have the attitude that they can do no wrong. This has been an ongoing problem for this property (always seem to be some problem with a stay). The PH NY also seem to have similar problems, I'll see for myself this weekend.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond

I frequently do a post stay survey on exceptional and poor experiences and frequently get a response, usually from the general manager. I think that take the surveys very seriously (may help being Diamond.)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
This has been an ongoing problem for this property (always seem to be some problem with a stay). The PH NY also seem to have similar problems, I'll see for myself this weekend.
......funny you bring this up, as those problems could be associated with the same person in charge, Mr WB.
The only hotel I can recommend in Chicago is The Langham, not the PH.

Last edited by scented; Oct 13, 2015 at 5:19 am
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by scented
......funny you bring this up, as those problems could be associated with the same person in charge, Mr WB. :roll eyes:
The only hotel I can recommend in Chicago is The Langham, not the PH.
+1, not so much about The Langham, more so about the Park Chicago

Pretty solid 4 Diamond property, absolutely nothing to write home about, even in the US you find a dozen better Hyatt properties, well, you might even find better Hyatt hotels in the greater Chicago area.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Just checked in as a Diamond on a Virtuoso rate. Inquired about an upgrade to a suite at check-in. The agent looked and told me two Park Suites were available, or the Gold Coast Suite if I would be able to wait a few minutes while they finished cleaning. I agreed to the Gold Coast Suite, and went to sit in the lobby.

15 minutes later, the agent came back to get me, and informed me that the room would be $400 additional / night ($150 for the Park Suite). Shocked, I declined the offer, and was given my original room with a weak apology.

My room appears to be the smallest on the floor. Upon further research, it does appear to be an "upgrade" to a Lake View King. After speaking with the manager, she informed me that the hotel's policy is to NOT upgrade to any suites (even as a Diamond + Virtuoso). The manager was very apologetic, and offered me the Gold Coast Suite to make up for the communication issues, which I did not take her up on.

Service recovery was decent, but a very very poor taste in my mouth within the first 20 minutes of stepping through the front doors. Color me as unimpressed as I was during my last stay here 3 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.