Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
This may be back in the thread, but a heads up: There is no Regency Club at this property. I was a bit surprised by this. I wasn't given any bonus points for them not having a Regency Club (I guess you only get the bonus points if there is a Regency Club and it is closed).
That is a pretty standard ruling.

That said, it would be nice if HR without a club provide free mini-bar drinks to guest.

However, I do have to say that the service was some of the best I've seen at a Hyatt. Everyone I encountered went above and beyond.
have you experienced Asian HR's lately? Most of them provide better service than the higher tier hotels I've stayed at in the US.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
have you experienced Asian HR's lately? Most of them provide better service than the higher tier hotels I've stayed at in the US.
I was just at a PH in Asia and the service was WAY better at this Regency; as crazy as that sounds.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I was just at a PH in Asia and the service was WAY better at this Regency; as crazy as that sounds.
Sounds unreal, but it doesn't surprise me because I've experience horrible service at some of the "top" PH and GH world wide.

Additionally service is personal preference: e.g. when I go shopping I like to be left alone instead of constantly being asked if I can be helped, while others want people to constantly be asked if they can be helped.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Sounds unreal, but it doesn't surprise me because I've experience horrible service at some of the "top" PH and GH world wide.

Additionally service is personal preference: e.g. when I go shopping I like to be left alone instead of constantly being asked if I can be helped, while others want people to constantly be asked if they can be helped.
Good point on it being subjective. Here is my stay report/review if you are interested. Got upgraded to a suite and free room service, not too shabby.

http://singleflyer.com/2015/05/24/hy...-hotel-review/
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 am

Every year I have a conference (Navy Opportunity Forum) at this hotel that I attend, and I swear, every year but last year[1] I've had a poor experience here.

This year, it was the plumbing fiasco. My room (a king room on the 18th floor) had some serious problems with the plumbing, in that it basically wouldn't flush (very little water motion, I suspect something jamming the plumbing). Engineering came up, looked at it, spent 10 minutes, proclaimed it "fixed", and left. But next time I needed to flush? Same thing. Explained to front desk that the issue wasn't resolved. Different maintenance person came up, told me "yeah, we have a lot of problems with this toilet", and again "fixed it." Yup, third time I needed to flush... no dice.

I explained to the front desk that this wasn't working out, and that I wasn't interested in having another late night call to the front desk and using the restroom in the lobby, and the manager insisted that they'd get to the bottom of it in the morning.

10am the next morning, I went to flush again and.... still no flushing. Talked to the morning manager, explained that if they couldn't move me to another room then I was checking out... They found me a room on a lower floor, and in apology they promised to put 12,000 points on my account.

But the 12,000 points never showed up, and when raising the issue, the hyatt.com customer service people say that they've got no record of my customer service issue and won't issue the points.

I think I'm moving my business to one of the other nearby, competing properties.

[1] Last year I booked late, and there wasn't room, so I stayed at the Hampton Inn down the street.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:13 pm

Is there any convenience store or supermarket nearby within walking distance?

I want to take the hotel shuttle at DCA to the hotel, will the shuttle be on time when I get to the pickup point?

I want to go back to DCA to pick up my rental the morning I check out, how's the timeliness of the hotel shuttle?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:35 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Is there any convenience store or supermarket nearby within walking distance?

I want to take the hotel shuttle at DCA to the hotel, will the shuttle be on time when I get to the pickup point?

I want to go back to DCA to pick up my rental the morning I check out, how's the timeliness of the hotel shuttle?
There's a 7-11 3 or 4 blocks from the hotel and I recall a full service supermarket in the Crystal City Shops- I'm guessing 6-8 blocks ?

The shuttle to/from DCA runs on a schedule - every 20 minutes, IIRC, and it's maybe a 5 minute trip.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by skj
There's a 7-11 3 or 4 blocks from the hotel and I recall a full service supermarket in the Crystal City Shops- I'm guessing 6-8 blocks ?

The shuttle to/from DCA runs on a schedule - every 20 minutes, IIRC, and it's maybe a 5 minute trip.
Is it possible to walk from Hyatt Regency to the Parking Garage A at DCA to pick up my rental car? Or it's more feasible to just take the shuttle.

if the shuttle runs every 20 minutes, I would assume it's 0, 20, 40 minutes of each hour?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:29 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Is it possible to walk from Hyatt Regency to the Parking Garage A at DCA to pick up my rental car? Or it's more feasible to just take the shuttle.

if the shuttle runs every 20 minutes, I would assume it's 0, 20, 40 minutes of each hour?
It's possible to walk, but I'm not sure how pedestrian-friendly it is, e.g. if there are sidewalks all the way.

I believe that's the current schedule, but when I was there last month, I caught the first one of the morning at something like 4:40 am and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the day.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by skj
It's slightly further, but south there's a decent Harris Teeter in Potomac Yard (although it's weird in that the only easy way to enter as a pedestrian is walking into the parking garage)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:49 am

The shuttle is easier, but walking is definitely possible---I pretty much always walk when I'm there, even with luggage.

If you are walking it for the first time and going to the airport, however, the route is non-obvious:

1. From the East side of the hotel, Take Crystal Dr north.
2. Go under the Airport Access Drive overpass. There's a park on the right ("Crystal City Children's Park)
3. An exit ramp from Airport Access Drive comes down over that park. When you get to the north end of the park, take a u-turn and walk back up that ramp.
4. Walk east along the sidewalk.
5. Once you've crossed over the train tracks and the GW Parkway, you'll come to Abingdon Dr. There's a crosswalk there. Cross, and from there there is pretty clear signage.

It's about a 12-15 minute walk to A. 20ish to B (with the easiest route being going into A and taking the connecting hallway). It's often faster than the shuttle, especially if there are a lot of people at the hotel.

Here's the google maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/KLFFV (Which shows two routes: take the one with the hairpin turn, since the other side of the airport access road has no sidewalk for most of the walk!)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It is a trap!

Currently staying at Hyatt DCA tonight, what an awful stay. The balcony was not sealed very well and I can hear some ventilation noise. My bed is a little viberating, not sure about the source. The most annoying part is I can hear regular warning beeping noise every 20 minutes or so, it sounds as if the car door was not closed. I guess I will have to watch sleepless in DC. Anyway, glad to be out tomorrow.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:03 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
While my stay wasn't as awful as some of the ones mentioned here I had serious issues with the processes and protocol at this property.

Stayed last Saturday and left my credit card in the room. By the time I had noticed my CC wasn't with me I was in MIA leaving for LA and won't be back till today. I promptly called and I don't recall where I was transferred but a lovely women told me that housekeeping has found the card and asked for my details (but seeing that I don't have a US number and they wouldn't accept my Australian number on the reservation I gave them my email). I was told that the card would be passed onto security and I should be getting an email from them but the email never came.

I call today and I'm patched through to security and they said they don't have any CCs around nor are there any notes left around. I don't recall who I was in touch with last Sunday but made an effort to tell them that she was working between 12-2pm. Guy puts me on hold and none of the names were familiar. Then I get frustrated as this card is my main spending card and I would have cancelled it and gotten my bank to reissue it if I knew they were going to destroy it. The security guy starts saying stuff 'making you're hearing me clearly' in the most condescending manner.

Terrible CS. I don't even know who contact about this debacle. Should I just let it go and never return?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Lost and found is handled by housekeeping. I would call them back and ask for housekeeping specifically. Also whenever you talk to someone about the issue get at least their name if not their email address.

If you don't have any luck call the front desk, and ask for manager Rob to call you back. He may be able to look in to it further for you.

Also somewhere I may have an email from a person in housekeeping who handles lost and found.

I do guess though this hotel and probably others are tripped up because you are no longer in the USA and they probably don't have solid procedures to accommodate sending to other locations. I don't' think this phenomenon is particular to this Hyatt, unless you stay at something like the Park Hyatt or St. Regis they probably will get tripped up going out of the box and off script.

Also the hand off to security, new department, likely caused an issue or sort of miscommunication.

I stay at this hotel about 15 times a year and on balance its good! I think the worse thing that happened to me on one stay is room service & the kitchen closed earlier than usual. Also they have nice basic suites with a balcony, I always enjoy either windows that open or a balcony. The water pressure could be better, maybe its better on lower floors? Also for Diamond breakfast you can take it in the restaurant on the 2nd floor or they have in the 1st floor lobby bar a sort of Starbucks like coffee shop in the morning & you can get something and or to go. The Americano's are good!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Stay Here Instead of Downtown Pros/Cons Crystal City Westin

For weekends you can often get this hotel for $100 + or - $20. It is usually considerably more expensive to stay in one of the downtown Washington, DC Hyatts! I'm talking more like $150 to $299 a night. Also I find I can take an UberX from this property to any DC location for $8 to $15. The new UberPool option is on the low end of these ranges and you also often don't get pooled in with another rider but you still get the pool discount.

Because I overqualified for Diamond and because HGP was not running any promotions I've also tried out the Westin Crystal City.

Westin Crystal City Pros as Hyatt Platinum:
1. Slightly smaller lobby, slightly quicker to get to your room. But very slight difference.
2. Hotel is with in walking distance of Metro, no shuttle needed.
3. With SPG you get extra points with Uber during a stay.
4. Windows in all rooms open slightly, at Hyatt, only if your in an AMB suite where you have a balcony.
5. Possibly the Your 24 if your an SPG 75 night Plat but I have not tried it yet.
6. You can get tier and promo quallifying credit for up to 3 rooms booked for 1 night.
7. You can get smoothies for breakfast and maybe slightly more choice, but I have not verified if the Hyatt has smoothies.

Westin Crystal City Cons Compared to Hyatt Diamond:
1. Only 1 bar/restaurant and its in the lobby it gets cold whenever the front door is opened.
2. You have to insert your key card in a specific way to get to any guest room floor. This seems silly, how hard would it be for someone to tag along if they wanted to get upstairs. This would only thwart an extreme ameture! Its not an RFID reader it has to be put in a very specific way to unlock the elevator.
3. There are only 1-2 suites, so few upgrade opportunities. They call a high floor room a "premier room."
4. You have to choose between the Platinum Breakfast which has a set value of like $24 or the drink coupon or the 500 points. Where as Hyatt Diamond you always get breakfast no matter what so you just have to choose between points & an amenity. This is an overall ding comparing HGP Diamond to SPG Platinum, HGP wins! And also SPG gives you this arbitrary $24 amount, I've never seen a specific limit at the Hyatt and with Diamond you get auto free breakfast for up to 4 in the room!
5. The airport shuttle at Westin runs less often, 3x per hour instead of 4x.
6. Most good SPG rates seem to be nonrefundable and prepaid where as Hyatt usually gives you a more favorable cancellation policy.

I've enjoyed both hotels right now I've tended to the Westin due no Hyatt promos. But if I were trying to impress someone I might pick the Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.