Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
You sure do seem to have a lot of defense of a hotel you called dull and uninspired - let's just call bad service bad service and leave it at that, like CMK10 did.
I don't deny the poster received mediocre service at check in. I do question why the poster couldn't simply ask about the water benefit along with asking about the breakfast benefit.

If our standard on FlyerTalk is to wait for a middling property like this one to proactively get everything right there will be a lot of disappointment in store. Service standards are down everywhere and my approach is to speak up when something isn't provided as it should be. Doesn't that lead to a better outcome? YMMV.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by dpb132
I don't deny the poster received mediocre service at check in. I do question why the poster couldn't simply ask about the water benefit along with asking about the breakfast benefit.

If our standard on FlyerTalk is to wait for a middling property like this one to proactively get everything right there will be a lot of disappointment in store. Service standards are down everywhere and my approach is to speak up when something isn't provided as it should be. Doesn't that lead to a better outcome? YMMV.
Well, CMK10 asked about getting the breakfast gratuity removed and was told by the staff an incorrect fact about benefits. I am also very disappointed when I have to pry out information and get looked at like a crazy person when I ask for upgrades/waters/what the breakfast benefit is. For me, the only real reason to stay at a Hyatt is for purported service quality. If this isn't going to be delivered, there's no reason to stay at a middling Hyatt vs. other properties in the area that can offer a nicer hard product (and potentially better soft product). I, for one, appreciate the reviewer calling out Hyatt properties that are providing bad service and an annoyance on elite benefits - it helps me to know which properties to avoid.
kevino likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Crystal City area hotels are all sort of like this, but this is a Hyatt and they do work well enough for me with Diamond benefits.

Originally Posted by dpb132

IIRC, at some point earlier this year they told me to grab a bottle of water from the fridge in the lobby. That time too they upgraded me to a suite as they usually do; and they removed my breakfast restaurant charged except for the tip I wrote in. I asked for 4pm checkout and they gave me that too — not that I used all of it.

It’s a boring property, but acceptable enough for me from time to time. It has that trackmyshuttle.com thing also going for it, if counting on the shuttle bus from DCA.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I had a pretty nice - if basic - one night stay at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City last week. I was there for one night before a flight at DCA the next day.

I was upgraded to an Ambassador Suite the day before - it's really not much bigger than the Corner King, but has a wall separating the living room from the bedroom (but no door). It did have a balcony, but not much to look at. Upon check-in, I was told about my upgrade, that I should have two waters in the room (but if not to let her know), and that I could have breakfast for two adults and two children in the restaurant. There were no waters in the room, so on my way out for dinner, I told the front desk clerk and the waters were in my room upon my return.

I requested a 2:30pm checkout as I was planning to telework in the morning before my flight - it was granted with no issues.

I had a very nice breakfast in the restaurant: the chocolate chip pancakes were outstanding! And I asked for a side of two eggs and chicken sausage. I also had a bloody mary. The whole breakfast was off my bill at checkout. (The bloody mary wasn't supposed to be included in the free breakfast, but without me asking, the front desk agent took it off the bill as a "one-time courtesy".)

dpb132 and iluvdoco like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Had a 3 night stay here last week. Overall, it was fine for my needs during the week, but I'll probably check out a city hotel next time, or the new HR in Tysons. Used GSU as I had one expiring, was given confirmed in an ambassadør suite, though annoyingly on a low flor. I checked-in super late (after midnight), but it all went smooth. Room was in good condition, had large bathroom, 2 TV's, comfortable bed and pillows, and a little balcony overlooking the backside of US1. AC worked nicely (it was 80 in the DMV one day!).

The breakfast buffet (full comp, excluding tip) is standard stuff, nothing stood out too much. Service in the restaurant was good as well.

I did have a few drinks late as the bar stays open til at least midnight to accommodate the many flight crews that stay there that may need a bit to eat.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Bet the fursuits took up extra space in the elevators, too.
Hard to fleas everyone.

David
Old Mar 12, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm
The breakfast buffet (full comp, excluding tip) is standard stuff, nothing stood out too much. Service in the restaurant was good as well.
I have had seven one-night stays here over the past 6 months, all on points (I've even bought points to do this -- at 6500 points on many nights for the night including parking, it's just too good a deal).

Always upgraded to an Ambassador suite (if they don't do it proactively, just text them to ask and they'll do it as long as one is available, for Globs). And 15% gratuity on the pretax breakfast amount should come off automatically (text them to remove that and they'll take it off too)... leave a couple bucks cash on top if you want to leave a decent tip.

Breakfast staff are wonderful IMO. Front desk staff are hit or miss. Valet staff are nice but I've had a couple run ins where they couldn't find the car and took 30-40 minutes to get it... once I quite literally had to run through the airport to make my flight as a result. So beware of that potential delay. But otherwise a solid product.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Worst post I’ve seen on FT in many years.

Did you speak with the front desk/management about the situation? If so, what was their response?

You were there for two nights, so it must not have been that bad of an experience. When I have such an experience that I’m not willing tolerate - such as a conservative Christian conference - I check out and go somewhere else that better suits my taste. If it was such a bad experience for you, why didn’t you check out and go to any of the other hotels in Crystal City?

Maybe you’re the weirdo if you hate what others are into so much. You realize that these people paid money to stay there just like you, and the hotel (seemingly) had no issue with what was going on? How were they to know you weren’t part of the convention?

Maybe you’re the bigot?

Regarding the airline crews, do you know if they were bothered or were you assuming such? Typically properties block them to specific rooms away from loud conventions.

Originally Posted by joejones
Just checked out after spending two nights at this property. I was very unlucky because practically the entire hotel was taken over by a furry convention, and it was 24/7 pure chaos throughout the building. Weirdos in fur suits carousing in the hallways and lobby and outside the entrance at 2 AM. Ridiculous lines to use the elevators, most of which were getting filled up in the basement levels and bypassing the lobby entirely, and if you got an elevator in the lobby you'd be riding with a bunch of weirdos in fur suits. Began climbing the stairs to get to my 9th floor room.

Really frustrating that the hotel didn't even try to manage the situation. No sign that they told anyone to keep things in the convention area or manage noise on the guest room floors. Gross mismanagement... Felt bad for all the flight crews who were stuck there; you could see the shock on their faces whenever they entered the lobby.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by LedgeT; Mar 13, 2023 at 1:42 am
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:56 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Worst post I’ve seen on FT in many years.

Did you speak with the front desk/management about the situation? If so, what was their response?

You were there for two nights, so it must not have been that bad of an experience. When I have such an experience that I’m not willing tolerate - such as a conservative Christian conference - I check out and go somewhere else that better suits my taste. If it was such a bad experience for you, why didn’t you check out and go to any of the other hotels in Crystal City?

Maybe you’re the weirdo if you hate what others are into so much. You realize that these people paid money to stay there just like you, and the hotel (seemingly) had no issue with what was going on? How were they to know you weren’t part of the convention?

Maybe you’re the bigot?

Regarding the airline crews, do you know if they were bothered or were you assuming such? Typically properties block them to specific rooms away from loud conventions.
Unclear why your suggestion is that OP should potentially expose themselves to financial costs by leaving early (I doubt a hotel would refund you for leaving due to a furry convention). OP has every right to complain about the types of conventions that the hotel allows, and calling them a bigot (when you yourself say you can't be around "conservative Christians") is a bit much, especially when it's quite clear that furries often have sexual undertones.
platbrownguy, njvandy and COLINDAD like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even back under GoldPassport, this property would more often than not assign me to an Ambassador suite. That hasn’t changed. As a Globalist, it’s the same as it’s long been for me. [I haven’t parked a car at this hotel in at least 15 years.]

This hotel has long had various kinds of conference/convention groups, with some of the more interesting ones being on the weekends or during other peak vacation periods. The first time I saw a hotel get packed with costumed guests — plenty of furry costumes too — was at the ORD InterContinental hotel (before it became a Loews). Different strokes for different folks, but I found it no more disruptive than I’ve seen some business and political group conventions be at hotels.
LedgeT likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even back under GoldPassport, this property would more often than not assign me to an Ambassador suite. That hasn’t changed. As a Globalist, it’s the same as it’s long been for me. [I haven’t parked a car at this hotel in at least 15 years.]

This hotel has long had various kinds of conference/convention groups, with some of the more interesting ones being on the weekends or during other peak vacation periods. The first time I saw a hotel get packed with costumed guests — plenty of furry costumes too — was at the ORD InterContinental hotel (before it became a Loews). Different strokes for different folks, but I found it no more disruptive than I’ve seen some business and political group conventions be at hotels.
I think the bigger issue was that the OP seemed to suggest that the hotel wasn't enforcing noise limits during late nights, which could be a problem with any kind of large gathering. I do have issue, though, with FlyerTalkers jumping in and calling others bigots. Throwing around insults seems to come too easily to some.
njvandy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
I think the bigger issue was that the OP seemed to suggest that the hotel wasn't enforcing noise limits during late nights, which could be a problem with any kind of large gathering. I do have issue, though, with FlyerTalkers jumping in and calling others bigots. Throwing around insults seems to come too easily to some.
the noise issues could’ve been adequately described without the OP repeatedly calling the fellow humans “weirdos”, an insult that the OP “too easily” threw around several times.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by LedgeT
the noise issues could’ve been adequately described without the OP repeatedly calling the fellow humans “weirdos”, an insult that the OP “too easily” threw around several times.
What a bizarre stance to take. I Googled the definition of weirdo: a person whose dress or behavior seems strange or eccentric.

If that definition does not apply here, then why do we bother assigning meaning to words.
COLINDAD likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:27 am

I'll be there is coming weekend! Is the valet charge of $45/night waived for Globalists?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:40 pm

Increasing from a Category 2 to a Category 3. Guess I'll be staying more often at the Hyatt Centric down the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.