Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Carolina Inn Chapel Hill, NC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold

Apologies if there’s already a thread on this hotel, but I couldn’t find it.

Great hotel. Checked in late, and the process was quick and incredibly friendly. Upgraded to queen suite on the third floor (reflected in the app prior to arriving). The hotel is historic, and the decor definitely reflects that. Not generally my favorite aesthetic, but I really enjoyed it here.

Rooms here are tight, but comfortable. All the modern conveniences that you want, all packaged in a historic look. The suite was neat - there’s a little entrance with a bench, a living room to the left, and bedroom/bath to the right.

The only wall light switches were in the entrance and the bath. All the lamps in the living room and bedroom have their own on-lamp switches, since there are no ceiling lights or sconces. The bathroom was, like the other rooms, small but functional and comfortable. Plenty of towels, nice Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, and good lighting and water pressure.

The bed was comfortable, and for some reason I found the sheets to be exceptionally soft. Maybe it’s because I was coming off of a Hyatt House stay .

Breakfast was in the restaurant. Small menu but excellent quality and service. The charge was wiped off my folio without having to ask.

I’ve previously stayed at Rizzo Center, and while that’s a perfectly nice hotel as well, I think I now prefer Carolina Inn for the charm and great, friendly service. That being said, there’s no pool here, so if that matters then Rizzo obviously is the way to go.

Photos:

Entrance

Living room

Living room

Bedroom

Bedroom

Bathroom

Shower
River in Sight and iluvdoco like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:52 am

Thanks for the review. We stayed there last summer in a king suite and thought that the hotel was very nice and charming as well, you can't beat the location for a visit to Chapel Hill.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Valet parking available, $18. Same price for self park. They are quick.

Beautiful place - would absolutely go back. Stayed in the Large ADA Corner room facing the CS building. Bedding was great and road noise was unnoticeable - didn't even realize there was a busy bus stop until the next morning.
Events and meetings seems to have restarted in earnest.

If I were asked what they could do to improve - I can't really come up with much. Perhaps - and this is a quibble - shaded parking lots would keep vehicles cooler?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:37 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Had another great one-night stay this week. Was proactively upgraded to a huge king-bed suite on the first floor (room 156?) that could have been connected to rooms on either side to make what I assume would have been a three-bedroom suite. As it was, the suite had a full separate living/dining room with dining table for 6, a butler's pantry, a powder room, and a large bathroom with double vanity. So cool. Breakfast was delicious as usual, bedding was again incredibly comfortable, and service was friendly and proactive. While the old-timey style of the hotel isn't usually my thing, this hotel has definitely earned my affection and I will go out of my way to stay here if I'm in the Triangle area. Photos of the suite below:

Foyer

Living/dining

Living/dining

Living/dining

Living/dining

Butler’s pantry

Powder room

Hall

Bedroom

Bathroom
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My Uncle got married at the Carolina Inn back in 2007. Since then, I hadn't been inside as we typically stayed with family outside Chapel Hill. When the Hyatt Place opened at Southern Village in 2017, we began staying there as it was closer to family in Pittsboro..

On my most recent trip to North Carolina, I learned the Carolina Inn was now under the the Hyatt brand and decided to try it out. Paid gov't rates were fairly reasonable for my one night stay.

Overall, this was a great stay and I look forward to returning in the future! All of the staff members I dealt with were friendly and helpful. I know the local area fairly well, though they still offered suggestions for restaurants, sights, etc. Globalist status was recognized and I was offered breakfast in the restaurant (Crossroads). Prior to check-in, I noticed I had been upgraded to the Premium King room when looking at my reservation in the Hyatt app. This was for a Thursday night stay; I had another stay on the following Sunday and was upgraded to the same room type. I had never been inside one of the rooms, though I was impressed. Despite the older style of the room, it was comfortable, had enough outlets and offered plenty of space for my short stay. While I had hoped to get a suite like above, I certainly wouldn't mind getting the same room again!

The Magnolia Pantry on the third floor was a nice touch and offered 24/7 access to some snacks and drinks which is similar to the Rizzo Center, also in Chapel Hill, which offers 24/7 drinks and ice cream. If you don't have a vehicle and want a midnight snack, I think this is a great option. With COVID, it seems a lot of the places around Franklin Street are closing earlier, thus there may not be too many walkable options for something small. I was given access as Globalist, though I can't speak to other ways for getting access. Breakfast at Crossroads on Friday was good and the service was prompt. I ordered the lox/bagel, which was quite good, though my only complaints were the minuscule amount of cream cheese and the fact they only had two types of bagels (plain or everything). Ordered a side of sausage (cooked nicely) and am glad I did as I was still hungry after the lox. Orange juice was supposedly fresh squeezed and tasted pretty good.

Looking forward to my next stay and glad Hyatt has a better presence in the Chapel Hill area (beyond Hyatt Place...) these days.

iluvdoco likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:08 pm

Thank you FriendlySkies! How much is the Globalist breakfast credit?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thank you FriendlySkies! How much is the Globalist breakfast credit?
They told me it would cover entrees and drinks for two people!
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG
The Duke Blue Devils cover on the punching bag in the exercise room is perfect for a hotel at UNC!.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanCasey
The Duke Blue Devils cover on the punching bag in the exercise room is perfect for a hotel at UNC!.
They have the same cover in the gym at the Rizzo Center too.
AmericanCasey likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:24 am

Had two amazing stays over the past week! My first we were upgraded from a base room to a king premium (same as friendly skies above) and the second time we were bumped to the king suite. Each time we were given access to the Magnolia Pantry and the globalist breakfast which appeared to cap out at $80. The hotel is lovely and the staff is amazing especially Kate at the front desk. Hoping to return here at some point! Pics are of the king suite...

Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:15 pm

Do Globalists get free valet or self-park here?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Do Globalists get free valet or self-park here?
Only supposed to happen on free nights. I can't remember if they charged me on my one night stay last Dec., but assuming they did.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Only supposed to happen on free nights. I can't remember if they charged me on my one night stay last Dec., but assuming they did.
Thinking about switching up some stays from the Rizzo Center to try out the Carolina Inn, although I'm not a big fan of the old timey "traditional" rooms here. I called the front desk and they said either free valet or free self-park for award stays but not sure if that's correct? Usually it's just free valet.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just finished a one night stay books on a cat 1-4 certif. Hotel felt empty (summer In a college town). Was offered a suite as a globalist but turned it down because I didn’t want to share a bed with my 17 yr old 🤣. The room was recently updated and didn’t feel at all fuddy-duddy. We were on the street side of the first floor and there was def a lot of outside noise in the am Including hotel construction. Other than a louder than it had to be AC that flipped on and off waaaay to much and thin walls, we were quite happy with the room.

Told at check in that breakfast was free for 2 adults and 2 children. Just 2 of us and breakfast was great. Very comprehensive menu and nothing showed up on the bill.

Was told that parking was $24 for valet or self. We self parked and it never showed up on the bill. Not sure if we got lucky or if it just off-season.

Would stay again next time in chapel hill.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:41 pm

Increasing from a Category 3 to a Category 4. Thankfully Rizzo Center, which is the better property unless you need to be close to UNC, is staying the same.
FriendlySkies likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.