FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/391480-hyatt-regency-crystal-city-reagan-airport-review-master-thread.html)

777 global mile hound Jan 19, 2005 8:02 pm

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan Airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Greetings all. I went on to one of the review sites and it was not the best reviewed property to put it mildly.What is the take of our community on this property.Diamond treatment,cleanliness,bed comfort and so on.
Thank you for the feedback if any in advance.
Nothing came up on FT when I did a search which surprised me.

fly4work Jan 19, 2005 9:17 pm

I stayed qt this hotel last October. I found the hotel to be nice. The room was nothing extraordinary. But it was clean and the furnishings were okay. The lounge in the lobby is nice. I love the way they serve the tap beer is really nice. They bring a glass out and a mini pitcher! The restaurant on the top floor is nice and affords nice views of the Capital. The only drawback is the distance from the nearest Metro station. It is about a 10-15 minute walk. All in all, I would stay there again. I can't answer the question about Diamond treatment since I am only a Platinum.

777 global mile hound Jan 19, 2005 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by fly4work
I stayed qt this hotel last October. I found the hotel to be nice. The room was nothing extraordinary. But it was clean and the furnishings were okay. The lounge in the lobby is nice. I love the way they serve the tap beer is really nice. They bring a glass out and a mini pitcher! The restaurant on the top floor is nice and affords nice views of the Capital. The only drawback is the distance from the nearest Metro station. It is about a 10-15 minute walk. All in all, I would stay there again. I can't answer the question about Diamond treatment since I am only a Platinum.

Good news to hear.How is bed comfort?
Also the ability to get a quiet nights sleep with the airport being so close?

kevino Jan 19, 2005 10:18 pm

I like this hotel and so do the ANA FA's who have ride the hotel shuttle all the way from Dulles.

You have a choice for the Diamond amenity. I usually get the two beers and chips with salsa.

Breakfast in the restaurant is free for Diamonds. I like to ask for a corner room. They often have a GP bonus going on.

I don't hear the airplanes.

thezipper Jan 19, 2005 10:20 pm

I'm a regular there...for the FFN's and points...it's only 2 subway stops from my office, so let me know when you'll be in town!

As a Dia, I usually get either one of the balcony suites or one of the larger rooms XX00, XX03, XX59 or XX62 (see my yahoo photos for floor plans of this hotel) The rooms havn't been renovated to the new standards... but the beds seem fine to me and I've never had a problem with airport noise. Dia Amenity is standard options... pool is closed for the winter, but the exercise room is open. Anything else...just PM me...

Globehopper Jan 19, 2005 11:04 pm

This hotel is not the Hyatt that you'll spend the nights dreaming about, but a solid property for what seems to be an unrefurbished hotel.

I could not hear any aircraft noise and the room decor is a bit dated.

The hotel runs a shuttle bus to/from the airport and that is a good place to transfer to/from the Metro.

Staff was okay to friendly. Really no major issues one way or the other.

railroadtycoon Jan 19, 2005 11:55 pm

The only draw back I had was the distance to the metro station, hotel does provide a shuttle bus though.

essxjay Apr 25, 2007 2:03 pm

pre-stay update

Since it's been over two years from the last update, I thought a bump was in order as I'll have some sort of review of it by Sunday evening.

I'm have zero status so don't expect a whizz bang compleat report, but I'll do my best for FT. :-:

paytonc Apr 25, 2007 2:13 pm

FWIW, the runways at DCA point away from Crystal City -- you see the planes before you hear them, even outdoors.

richee Apr 26, 2007 12:47 am

Originally Posted by paytonc (Post 7639879)
FWIW, the runways at DCA point away from Crystal City -- you see the planes before you hear them, even outdoors.

I stay here over a dozen times a year (was just there Monday night again).
I don't recall ever hearing a plane while in the hotel.

777 global mile hound Apr 28, 2007 12:54 am

The Hyatt Crystal City renovation shines

I stayed here for a few nights before the Freddie's and then moved over to The Marriott Gateway for the event. The rooms at the Hyatt hands down since the recent room renovation have to make it one of the top properties in the Crystal City, VA area. It's a welcome surprise if you remember how the rooms looked previously.
It was one of the more successful room renovations I have seen recently.
My one issue was water pressure in the shower.Otherwise brilliantly excecuted new bathrooms.I'll assume the pressure was a pre existing problem.The public areas now will need some catching up......

I also couldn't have asked for a more cooperative staff during my stay. The Marriott was adequate/average or slighly above at best.
The Hyatt has the upper hand on the rooms and fitness center no question
Excellent breakfast for Diamonds too while my status still remains. I am very grateful to the Hyatt Crystal City who did a number of very helpful gestures both before and during my stay.
Likely to return sometime in the future.It was also nice to be able to walk down and see the good folks at Legal Sea Foods for some outstanding dining ^

Markie Apr 28, 2007 3:17 am

My only bad experience when I stayed there last year was that the king bedded rooms only have showers but the twins have baths.

777 global mile hound Apr 28, 2007 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 7653699)
My only bad experience when I stayed there last year was that the king bedded rooms only have showers but the twins have baths.

Being of king preference no concerns here.However I could certainly understand the hotel keeping some rooms with baths and not putting in the elegant new glass wall showers.
Some families will need bathtubs and it probably made more sense to leave the bathtubs in the twin bedded room as a family might be more inclined to request one with two beds

mecabq Apr 29, 2007 12:39 pm

I have stayed here five times in the past six months, including a week ago, and agree with the consensus that it's a solid, if unspectacular, hotel. The main up-sides are the pleasant staff, clean rooms, refurbished rooms and bathrooms, and decent restaurants and bars. The down-side is the location (a bit far from the underground and Metro, and not always taxis on-site). I cannot speak to Diamond treatment (two stays to go for me!).

Good question about hearing planes -- it didn't occur to me, but I have never heard one, either.

Another benefit is the price. They often have $99 rates on weekends as well as points bonuses.

thezipper Apr 29, 2007 1:47 pm

I was there Friday night also for the Freddies, got an upgrade to an Ambassador Blacony Suite. I was very impressed as this was my first stay there since the renovation, the room is now a full suite with seperate parlor. The only drawback was no coffee maker in room, as I was not able to have breakfast that morning... I will be returning to this hotel later this summer!