Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Thanks for all the comments. My wife is dead set on not changing hotels. We might have considered going further, such as to Berlin, if it were only one way on the train, but we have to get back to FRA at the end and want to keep that trip as simple as possible.

I'm still leaning toward Mainz as a base for seeing the Rhine Valley but I'll take a better look at what we might be interested in seeing in Cologne and seriously consider HR Cologne as a second option.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I am currently at the HR Cologne. Booked a suite on points which was a killer deal considering the cash price, and was upgraded into the Gladiolen Suite which is on the third floor.
Nice upgrade. ^

Is the Gladiolen Suite a corner view suite on the site of the hotel, which is next to the tracks and the bridge with the locks?

If yes, this is my favourite suite set up at the property, although some people complained about train noise.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FD1971
Nice upgrade. ^

Is the Gladiolen Suite a corner view suite on the site of the hotel, which is next to the tracks and the bridge with the locks?

If yes, this is my favourite suite set up at the property, although some people complained about train noise.
Yes, it is the corner by the tracks and the bridge with direct line of sight to the cathedral. I loved the setup too. Seems like it was set up for entertaining since you could completely close off the bedroom and master bath leaving you with the sitting area, dining area and a bathroom.

We didn't have a problem with the train noise. We actually slept with the window open each night because, for some reason, European hotel room don't seem to be able to get cool in the Winter My white noise generator easily covered any trains that actually went by at night, and with the window closed you could barely hear them. More annoying were the birds that started chirping at 4am Aren't they supposed to start that when the sun comes up!

Once I get back home, I'll upload the video walkthru I did and post a link.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes, it is the corner by the tracks and the bridge with direct line of sight to the cathedral. I loved the setup too. Seems like it was set up for entertaining since you could completely close off the bedroom and master bath leaving you with the sitting area, dining area and a bathroom.

We didn't have a problem with the train noise. We actually slept with the window open each night because, for some reason, European hotel room don't seem to be able to get cool in the Winter My white noise generator easily covered any trains that actually went by at night, and with the window closed you could barely hear them. More annoying were the birds that started chirping at 4am Aren't they supposed to start that when the sun comes up!

Once I get back home, I'll upload the video walkthru I did and post a link.
Gladiolen Suite walkthru video as promised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfeA...p4nGu&index=25
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
The GM of the hotel is rude in his dealings with longtime and loyal visitors. It's a nice enough hotel (especially the view to the dome), but badly managed by the GM.

Staff at the hotel used to be nice, but some of the front desk people are now downright rude.

It seems like when a bad new GM comes in, the attitude of the staff towards the guests automatically worsens.

This new GM has not understood the "hospitable" part in "hospitality".
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Football Fan
The GM of the hotel is rude in his dealings with longtime and loyal visitors. It's a nice enough hotel (especially the view to the dome), but badly managed by the GM.

Staff at the hotel used to be nice, but some of the front desk people are now downright rude.

It seems like when a bad new GM comes in, the attitude of the staff towards the guests automatically worsens.

This new GM has not understood the "hospitable" part in "hospitality".
I never had any issues at all, but again, it is a German Hyatt, so they do not offer you the world for free on a $ 150 weekend rate..., which I find reasonably.

At German Hyatt properties, loyalty is a two way street and after looking deep into so many situations (same with SPG in Germany) I always understood their rationale (for not giving me a suite or upgrade to a certain room etc.)

But maybe you can elaborate a bit further why you consider the good folks in Cologne to be rude. Construction noise from the new terraces in front of the hotel?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by FD1971
But maybe you can elaborate a bit further why you consider the good folks in Cologne to be rude.
Hello TAZO.

A front desk person insulted me in front of other guests, at check-in, more clumsily than maliciously. I am not going to go into details of the incident, but no matter what the discussion was about, a guest should not be severely insulted in front of other guests.

I left the hotel and addressed the issue via mail with the GM. The GM responded days later "that the words must have just come out wrong", no apology was offered, although the incident was undisputed. The tone of the GM's mail was actually not polite at all. I have been a frequent guest at that hotel and at German Hyatts in general, 10 years Diamond, mainly requalifying through stays in German Hyatts.

A GM who reacts like that, I repeat, is the actual problem, not the front desk person. As long as Mr. Saunders is the GM of the hotel, I will not stay there again.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:07 pm

I changed my mind and stayed here again.

Did a BRG claim and got a rate about half the daily rate and much less than the corporate rate I used to use and which I would have used if not for my dispute with the GM. Great job, you cost Hyatt some money there. Maybe worry about your sales through 3rd party channels before alienating longtime guests who have been using an authorized corporate rate.

Anyway, a sure sign that a hotel GM is not really taking good care of the hotel is the attitude of the staff. When we arrived, two staff members were screaming at each other for several minutes in front of the guests.

My welcome letter had someone else's name on it (actually, some TV personality/rapper...I'm definitely not that guy).

The hotel is still in a nice location and still a Hyatt. But this GM is not getting it done.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:09 am
Suspended

Just to put the last post into perspective.

This is another great Hyatt property with staff belonging to the best the industry has to offer in Europe (...hence, they work for Hyatt. The only chain hotel that outperformes even the best of the best in Germany, people working for Hyatt, is the RC Wolfsburg, but RC is one chain that invests comparable amounts, if not more, into its people and at least in Wolfsburg that pays off ^)

Taking a look at previous posts by football fan, certain problems with staff members or whether he can or cannot use certain corporate rates become apparent, so one should be able to rate the comment accordingly.

So no reason to complain about a GM at all.

His comment on BRG is quite interesting, though.

Hyatt sold a lot of additional capacity to external vendors, so checking rates via the usual third party channels is highly recommended in Germany at the moment.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok people stop bickering and personal commentary. Each person and stay is unique as well as perspectives so reviews are likely to be different (and can be outside the consensus or your own views). Readers of these reviews will have to weigh these factors on their own.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Yep, I would say that around 95% of the time I find a BRG for Hyatts in Germany. Sometimes it's better to use My Elite Rate, especially if you want flexibility, but €135/night for Berlin, €170 for Hamburg and around the €100 mark for the other 3 is pretty normal.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:40 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've just deleted some posts that continued the bickering between 2 members despite my on thread warning. Further posts along the same line will be deleted and the members subject to disciplinary action.

Place each other on "ignore" so that you don't see the others post.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs up Hot food dish in RC in the evening

I was delightfully surprised to have a hot Pasta dish last night. I was told it started last week.
Old May 2, 2014, 3:34 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I changed my mind and stayed here again.
[...]
My welcome letter had someone else's name on it (actually, some TV personality/rapper...I'm definitely not that guy).
[...]
The hotel is still in a nice location and still a Hyatt. But this GM is not getting it done.
Congrats for changing your mind! ^

GUM mum has stayed there in a club room recently on a weekend. Would like to share some of her comments:

+ She was impressed about the (unchanged) location of the club amidst the 6th floor and with direct view to the Cathedral.
+ Breakfast selection was great, cake for a small pause in the afternoon also available.
+ Got the welcome letter with the right name.
+ Personal has a great attitude towards the guest.
+ Room was allocated as requested (on the non train side) to the Landwirtschaftsanstalt/Park or however the neighbour building is called

Sidenote: I was the one FTer who grumbled about the not perfect rooms to the "train side". But this was only a personal impression not a common statement about building quality.

Although I wasn't there this year I could summarize her impressions: All in all the GM seems to do a good job.

In point of view (& location) this is the best hotel of Cologne.

Needn't to browse all the websites for a good rate. In April the Advance Purchase/Non rebookable rate was fine.

You should "invest" in the price difference to the Club level. The view during breakfast and cake/coffee is worth it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Hyatt Cologne Köln REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Not having a good experience in cologne. I plan to write a detailed report and post pictures. As a Diamond member, I was given a downgrade and given room 454 Today. View is the courtyard, it would not have been that bad but I saw shirtless men working construction and even one guy urinating- awful. Lounge has no seats available at 1820 as people come and "park" themselves in the very small lounge, drinking wine, eating food and reading magazines.
Food selection is not that great - lot more sweet stuff. I had to sit at the computer desk just to sit and drink a glass of wi e.
IMO, this hotel has lost meaning of customer service. This is my last stay here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.