Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by pkrjp
I am staying at this property for 3 nights for a conference. Checked in two days before the conference and asked for a river facing room, but was told "we are sold out tomorrow". Not sure what tomorrow has to do with checking in today, but I tend not to push the matter as I don't want to be a DYKWIA. Club access and free mini-bar is good enough for me.

However, co-worker checks in today and he receives a river view room, welcome amenity, etc. He has no status with Hyatt and had no clue why he was treated so well. I just don't understand the decision behind denying a loyal guest a simple request, yet doing a 180 the following day with someone who never stays at your chain.
Could this be a glitch? I'm not exactly known to be fanboying for this property, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe you can ask in a friendly manner to speak to the manager and check if your GP details are on file for this stay.
Edit: But if you got club access, they surely must have known you're DIA. Don't get the motivation behind it...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I can only assume that they were showing a sold out hotel yesterday and didn't want to offer you the option to be moved after one night. And that today there was a cancellation for a river view room and that your co-worker simply got lucky today.

But it sure is a bad way to handle things. At least make the manager aware what happened.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I am staying at this property for 3 nights for a conference. Checked in two days before the conference and asked for a river facing room, but was told "we are sold out tomorrow". Not sure what tomorrow has to do with checking in today, but I tend not to push the matter as I don't want to be a DYKWIA. Club access and free mini-bar is good enough for me.
Rhine view is a separate category. Sold out tomorrow means there is a Rhine room available the night you checked-in but Rhine view rooms are all booked the next evening thus they can't put you in Rhine view room for a 3 night stay. If you were doing a 1-night stay, then they can assign the room to you.

However, co-worker checks in today and he receives a river view room, welcome amenity, etc. He has no status with Hyatt and had no clue why he was treated so well. I just don't understand the decision behind denying a loyal guest a simple request, yet doing a 180 the following day with someone who never stays at your chain.
Originally Posted by RTW1
I can only assume that they were showing a sold out hotel yesterday and didn't want to offer you the option to be moved after one night. And that today there was a cancellation for a river view room and that your co-worker simply got lucky today.

But it sure is a bad way to handle things. At least make the manager aware what happened.
This is a very reasonable explanation.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
Just booked a weekend night mid June 2016. Received the below message in the booking screen. Will report back on FT once I have been there.

Please note that from mid-June until the end of October, extensive renovation work is being conducted at the hotel. Rooms are excluded from the renovation. However, the construction will be largely implemented in public areas such as the lobby and restaurant as well as the event space. If you have any questions about the renovation, please contact the hotel directly.

Last edited by EHAM1; Jun 6, 2016 at 5:13 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:52 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold

I think the front desk wanted to do a favor and only made the minor fault not to communicate it accordingly. Given the fact that you already can enjoy the best view of the whole property directly from the Regency Club a "river view" room doesn't have so much advantage.

Some people which are very often travelling prefer a quiet room instead of that. So I think they have allocated you to another fine accommodation not directly facing the Hohenzollernbrücke/River view "right" side.

I hope you enjoyed the great location and setup of the hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by EHAM1
Just booked a weekend night mid June 2016. Received the below message in the booking screen. Will report back on FT once I have been there.

Please note that from mid-June until the end of October, extensive renovation work is being conducted at the hotel. Rooms are excluded from the renovation. However, the construction will be largely implemented in public areas such as the lobby and restaurant as well as the event space. If you have any questions about the renovation, please contact the hotel directly.
I am booked at the end of June for a couple nights; will appreciate your feedback.

Note that they are now offering a "renovation rate". I had a P&C booking but switched it to this as it is quite low, making the P&C rate not such a good value, IMO.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:48 pm

Here is the response from the hotel:

Renovations at Hyatt Regency Cologne

Dear Guests,

We are delighted that you have decided to stay with us at Hyatt Regency Cologne.

The hotel opened its doors for the first time in May 1988 and since then has welcomed guests from all over the world. After numerous renovations in 2009 - 2011, the hotel was able to maintain its status as a modern luxury hotel but now we want to go one step further and take Hyatt Regency Cologne to new heights.

Therefore, in the period from mid-June to end-October 2016, extensive renovation work will be carried out as follows:

Lobby

Behind the elevators in the lobby there will be eleven event spaces equipped with the latest technical equipment. In addition, the entire area in the lobby by the front desk will be changed, the concierge reorganized and we will say goodbye to our water element. Since the stairs to the mezzanine floor and the elevators will be changed, different routes to various floors will be introduced.

Bar

Our Schälsick bar will be completely redesigned as part of the renovation and equipped with an international audience design and a lounge atmosphere. In addition, the bar may be reopened with a new name to encapsulate the whole concept. The “Legends Bar” will be taking its name both in design and in the tasting.

Glashaus Restaurant

Not only the ground floor but also the mezzanine floor will be seen in a new light. Next to the stairs will be the Glashaus Restaurant which will be given more emphasis and thus obtain more opportunities to

attract guests. The former Graugans will open and connect to the Glashaus Restaurant, but although this new Private Dining Room will still be used for meetings, it will primarily form part of the restaurant.

Library

The library will change and get a new look. In addition to the two additional Chef's Tables, in front of the meeting facilities, the two balconies of the Private Dining Room and the library will form the highlight of the mezzanine floor. Thus, not only will unique sunsets and spectacular views of the Old Town of Cologne can be seen from the Glashaus but also from many other areas in the hotel.

The whole team is looking forward to these extensive changes, because the time has come for Hyatt Regency Cologne to be upgraded.

Thank you in advance for your understanding of the side effects of the renovation. Of course you can continue to expect the usual high-quality service from Hyatt Regency Cologne and we will be delighted to provide you with a pleasant stay in the cathedral city. We would like to let you know that construction work will be carried out from 10:30 am to 6:30 pm between Mondays and Saturdays.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I am very glad that you have decided to be our guest and I wish you a pleasant time at Hyatt Regency Cologne.

Robin Saunders General Manager
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by EHAM1
Here is the response from the hotel:

Renovations at Hyatt Regency Cologne

Dear Guests, [snip]
Given the 4+ month time frame for the renovations, it's probably a crapshoot on what element they may be working on for any given stay. I notice the Regency Club isn't on the list, and since the only meal I'll be taking at the hotel is breakfast (which I assume is served in the Club), I don't think these renovations will be too disruptive in my case.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Has anybody stayed after the renovations have started? I would like to know what to expect, or maybe avoid the hotel altogether.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I stayed there last night and noticed no problems. I was on the Club floor.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:04 am

Has anybody stayed after the renovations have started? I would like to know what to expect, or maybe avoid the hotel altogether.
@RTW1: I was there 10 days ago, no impact noticed from the renovations. There is no work done on level 6 so you should be ok.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:09 am

Had a great 2 night stay here last week. Got a Rhine view suite on floor 1 using a DSU, on their great 'renovation rate'. There was a bit of construction work outside in front of the hotel but I didn't find the noise bothersome, and it may not have had anything to do with the renovations. I did think I heard some noise while in the lounge, but it also did not bother me or my family. Front desk and concierge were very friendly and helpful.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks all, I will see then.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:30 am

Anyone stayed here in the last month who is able to comment on the renovations mentioned upthread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.