Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by thierry
Just stayed there this pas week end

Nice renovation indeed on the Regency club floor however I was disappointed in the level of service provided. I stayed there two nights and my room was not cleaned after the first night. When I returned to the hotel at 7pm I realized what happened
I was offered to have the room cleaned then but declined since I wanted my privacy by then
Quite unacceptable for a Hyatt especially on the Regency floor
Upon check out the next day just a word of apology from the front desk and nothing more...
Having worked with a number of European hospitality professionals over the years I would say its a different business culture.Especially in Germany.They typically don't prefer/ believe in discounting or goodwill gestures from my 20 years of travel and meetings with management.They will do some of that of course when their hands are tied
In one 5 star hotel with mice,urine stained bed linens with pubic hair and other poor experiences I received a note and hotel cookbook not at all mentioning the issues or probelms of any kind........There is a lot of denial when things go wrong.The front lines are also less empowered to do very much without getting
approval from higher ups

When hotels leave guests with failed stays thats when it comes time to contact the Guest Relations dept.This is 95% of the reason I stay with IHG,SPG,Hyatt and while not as much since they butchered their rewards program Hilton

At the end of the day there should be somebody responsible when it all fails
International destinations will vary widely and thats why I rely on the big chains
They can step in when the destination business culture/stingy property at large isn't interested in either fixing the problem or responding appropriately
That said many of these brands vary in their track record with regards to
Guest/BrandAssurance
I would put Hilton and Radisson at the top,IHG third,Hyatt and SPG towards the bottom though satisfactory or just below

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 11, 2010 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by thierry
Nice renovation indeed on the Regency club floor however I was disappointed in the level of service provided. I stayed there two nights and my room was not cleaned after the first night. When I returned to the hotel at 7pm I realized what happened
I was offered to have the room cleaned then but declined since I wanted my privacy by then
Quite unacceptable for a Hyatt especially on the Regency floor
Upon check out the next day just a word of apology from the front desk and nothing more....
Even if thierry decided to DND the room for quite some time and even when the property is running on low occupancy with minimumm staff during the dog days of summer, this should not happen..., especially if they charge close to $ 200 a night even in off-season.

thierry, I strongly suggest to get in contact with the property just to bring the issue back to their attention. As mentioned by 777 already, Germans are not any good taking criticism, I guess it is about the same in France... typical Western European arrogance I would say as a German

I understand that it tends to be very slow during certain periods in summer and also in winter at the Regency Cologne, but still this is a basic service, especially on the club floor...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Not sure what I should do about it at this point.
What a difference with other properties!!!
On my last stay at the Andaz London i encountered some problems which weren't half as bad (my room was not ready when I checked in at 3pm and the fire alarm went off twice during my three nights stay, once after midnight)
I never mentioned anything upon check out but received a couple of days later an e-mail asking me to rate the hotel and the services, I then mentioned those problems. The next day I received an e-mail again from the GM apologizing and giving me a number to call for my next booking at this property stating that the room would be complimentary.
Quite impressive
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:23 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Having worked with a number of European hospitality professionals over the years I would say its a different business culture.Especially in Germany.They typically don't prefer/ believe in discounting or goodwill gestures from my 20 years of travel and meetings with management.They will do some of that of course when their hands are tied
In one 5 star hotel with mice,urine stained bed linens with pubic hair and other poor experiences I received a note and hotel cookbook not at all mentioning the issues or probelms of any kind........There is a lot of denial when things go wrong.The front lines are also less empowered to do very much without getting
approval from higher ups

When hotels leave guests with failed stays thats when it comes time to contact the Guest Relations dept.This is 95% of the reason I stay with IHG,SPG,Hyatt and while not as much since they butchered their rewards program Hilton

At the end of the day there should be somebody responsible when it all fails
International destinations will vary widely and thats why I rely on the big chains
They can step in when the destination business culture/stingy property at large isn't interested in either fixing the problem or responding appropriately
That said many of these brands vary in their track record with regards to
Guest/BrandAssurance
I would put Hilton and Radisson at the top,IHG third,Hyatt and SPG towards the bottom though satisfactory or just below
I have to strongly disagree with you - especially the Germany Hyatts were nearly always very accomodating, when there were any real problems!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Happy conclusion to my stay

Received a voucher for one free night valid for one year in my mail with a letter of apology from the GM.

Excellent response I recon.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by peter42
I have to strongly disagree with you - especially the Germany Hyatts were nearly always very accomodating, when there were any real problems!
I absolutely agree with this. German Hyatts have been always nice to me when there was something to complain about.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
so my choice certs are a good investment!
Onewhoknows,

I took the liberty and highjacked your response from the Grand Berlin master thread.

Using Hyatt certs. during a major fair justifies your user name, one of the best stunts in recent FT Hyatt forum history ^

Poor execution on the part of the property, though

Either somebody in Cologne or Mainz overslept or they do not expect the property to be full. Somehow doubtful, however during recent months, even some of the bigger fairs did not result in a completely full hotel.

They normally charge Euro 450 and upwards during major fairs...this property is a gold mine...

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
You are right , but 500+€ for a regular room at the HR Cologone
Euro 500 for a regular room at the Regency Cologne is certainly a lot to ask for ( considering that you get a courtyard view queen ) , however during fairs, the 4 Points Cologne charges Euro 300 and more and that should motivate the district attorney to take action
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Any photos of the renovated Regency suites king/twin? I can't believe there's no photos here or on tripadvisor!

EDIT: Ah I just noticed that only the View Suites were renovated as per Hyatt's website. Well that's rather disappointing that they chose to ignore their only twin suites.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: FB GP
Hey Guys,

I just put a blog about my visit at the Hyatt Cologne, please let me know if you are missing some details or info..

http://theimportantsmallthings.blogs...t-cologne.html

Cheers,
Norman
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by normanvdmeijden
Hey Guys,

I just put a blog about my visit at the Hyatt Cologne, please let me know if you are missing some details or info..

http://theimportantsmallthings.blogs...t-cologne.html

Cheers,
Norman
More info about the lounge would be appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by FD1971
...They normally charge Euro 450 and upwards during major fairs...this property is a gold mine...
It costs also in the very low off peak weekend seaon over 100 € - at least. Indeed, it is a gold mine. - Are the rooms also made from gold? What does the hotel give you in return for the exorbitant prices? It is, after all, only Cologne.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
It costs also in the very low off peak weekend seaon over 100 € - at least. Indeed, it is a gold mine. - Are the rooms also made from gold? What does the hotel give you in return for the exorbitant prices? It is, after all, only Cologne.
Only Cologne?

Did you do some research about the size of the fair & the economic power of the region, not too mention the tourist numbers?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:02 am

I was informed some days ago that the minibar in suites would not be for free. However, the reservation agent might have been wrong - does anyone have some recent experience with this?

Last edited by Marevna; Mar 26, 2012 at 9:08 am
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:06 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Marevna
I was informed some days ago that the minibar in suites would not be for free. However, the reservation agent might have been wrong - does anyone have some recent experience with this?
It is only free in the big suites in Köln, not in the Standard ones.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

guys, what is your recent success rate with comp upgrades for diamond in that property?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.