Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FD1971
Yes, however it cannot hurt to ask the RC staff during the afternoon service, if they did not change the policy in the meantime, my last stay was ~ 5 weeks ago.

Which suite did you get ?

Regency or Regency Executive ?

Enjoy the views, should be beautiful today.
Thanks! I only got the Regency suite since I needed twin beds and I was told the other suites only have kings. Yes indeed it's a great weather! And even better having caught the last flight out of LHR after the closure earlier on today.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thanks for the updates ^

How many floors are there?Do you prefer the non renovated suite to the renovated guest rooom?
Is there any known expected completion dates on suites?
You are certainly welcome.

To be honest, and also already discussed at some other Hyatt properties with numerous staff members, the new rooms did not really 'wow' anyone yet, including Hyatt staff.

Looks a lot like the rooms at the IC on the other side of the Rhine, same combination of certain dark colours, but not really setting the hotel apart from the competition, of course the (bath)rooms are certainly far more spacious.

They told me that the renovation will continue until summer, but some weeks ago, no dates were set for the closure&renovation of the RC , which is on the top floor (6)

The corner suites ( Regency Exec. ) are really spacious and have a lot of potential, however the current colours and some furniture items are not really meant to be in a premium suite at an international Hyatt in the 2nd decade of the 21st century...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crystak
Thanks! I only got the Regency suite since I needed twin beds and I was told the other suites only have kings. Yes indeed it's a great weather! And even better having caught the last flight out of LHR after the closure earlier on today.
Actually, I know several guys who prefer the Regency Suite over the Regency Exec., because of the simple, but spacious set up with beautiful Bauhaus furniture. Back in the days when one was able to bid for paper upgrade certs. on Ebay, I used them quite often to get suites at the Regency Cologne and almost always got the Iris suite on the RC floor with views downstream ( LH HQ and IC on the other side of the river )

So make sure to enjoy a drink or two from the minibar and if you like a flashback to the 1980's, have a look around the RC in the next days, Dieter Bohlen ( Modern Talking ) will be staying at the property.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
at the hotel now, and I have to agree with the OP about the asthmatic A/C. I like a cool room, but I have had the A/C on maximum fan/minimum temperature and I am feeling warm sitting here in my shorts

I should have read this thread more carefully and asked for a room with an opening window.

Apart from that, another great European Hyatt - love the tea delivery in the morning ^

And just had breakfast in the RC - lovely views over the Rhine to the Dom in the morning sun, and excellent bircher muesli and pastries. Looking forward to my next visit already !

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Apr 28, 2010 at 12:03 am Reason: breakfast !
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
at the hotel now, and I have to agree with the OP about the asthmatic A/C. I like a cool room, but I have had the A/C on maximum fan/minimum temperature and I am feeling warm sitting here in my shorts

I should have read this thread more carefully and asked for a room with an opening window.

Apart from that, another great European Hyatt - love the tea delivery in the morning ^

And just had breakfast in the RC - lovely views over the Rhine to the Dom in the morning sun, and excellent bircher muesli and pastries. Looking forward to my next visit already !
The view is just amazing, isn't it ? The Bircher Muesli is also very good, freshly prepared each morning. Make sure to get some made to order eggs as well, will be delivered to your table and usually come with some breakfast potatoes and tomatoes on the side.

Could not agree more, when it comes to the AC, impossible to get the room really warm in Winter, when the cold winds along the Rhine are just too much and the same in the summer vice versa, when the old units are not strong enough to cool it down. Considering that the temperatures in Cologne are normally somewhere in between the need for an AC, it is not a problem, but during extreme weather, it can backfire.
Old May 5, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Checked out today after 2 nights. Had a room on the 6th floor, facing the water. The staff are incredible, one of the best ever at any Hyatt. Only problem was my room was way too hot. I asked 4 times for it to be fixed, nothing
Old May 21, 2010, 2:07 am

Hotels website states Renovation completed

hotel states on its site that it is 100% fully renovated I had heard otherwise can anyone confirm or deny?
Old May 21, 2010, 5:40 am
Suspended

hotel states on its site that it is 100% fully renovated I had heard otherwise can anyone confirm or deny?
Ironically, I am in contact with the property at the moment to book some rooms for a meeting there later this year, but my contact seems to be gone for the long national holiday weekend already.

In any case, they updated the pictures of the room and suites on their website in the meantime, so I would assume all rooms have been renovated.

Pictures of the RC remain unchnaged, though, and as posted already some months ago, a schedule was not set for the RC renovation / closure during my last stay.

Cannot hurt to get a first hand impression of the new RC rooms, however rates are really high this weekend...
Old May 21, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by FD1971
Cannot hurt to get a first hand impression of the new RC rooms, however rates are really high this weekend...
That's due to the ice hockey championship I'd assume.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:11 am

Appreciate the updates ^
Now I hope that the air conditioning works as others have stated that this can be a problem here.I hope that these are isolated incidents and not the condition of the hotels cooling system or it may be a very short stay
Old May 21, 2010, 12:15 pm

Appreciate the updates ^
Now I hope that the air conditioning works as others have stated that this can be a problem here.I hope that these are isolated incidents and not the condition of the hotels cooling system or it may be a very short stay
I think it might have been due to it being a bit cooler outside. I always like my rooms cold, no matter the temp outside. The RC was nice.
Old May 21, 2010, 1:23 pm

Helpful information chanp I am feeling more confident thank you ^
Now if the volcanic ashes are taking a vacation elsewhere it may be a really nice journey
Cheers
Old May 21, 2010, 3:04 pm

Helpful information chanp I am feeling more confident thank you ^
Now if the volcanic ashes are taking a vacation elsewhere it may be a really nice journey
Cheers
I cant help with that ash, but can tell you, everyone there is really friendly and helpful. The bar downstairs has a 17yr Hibiki as well, so yummy.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:36 am
Suspended

Regency Club renovations were in full swing last week. I was told that the club lounge will look completely different with the only exception that the buffet area on the left side after exiting the elevators will stay there.

I was also told that they have updated the air conditioning unit on the roof of the building and that it is not comparable anymore to the good old times, where the system struggled to cool/heat the rooms during abnormal weather conditions, which we had a few times this year already...

Two improvements that are highly appreciated ^
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just stayed there this pas week end

Nice renovation indeed on the Regency club floor however I was disappointed in the level of service provided. I stayed there two nights and my room was not cleaned after the first night. When I returned to the hotel at 7pm I realized what happened
I was offered to have the room cleaned then but declined since I wanted my privacy by then
Quite unacceptable for a Hyatt especially on the Regency floor
Upon check out the next day just a word of apology from the front desk and nothing more....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.