Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Globs get free parking on award stays. The hotel could be confused and not charge for parking on any (elite) award stays.
Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Spending the 4th of July long weekend here, so far it's been a great stay. Here is my quick review. Subject to change should something unexpected happen the last couple days

I booked a basic King Bed rate. At check in I was recognized as a Globalist and given complimentary valet parking, which was a nice surprise as parking is listed at $31 per day. I was also upgraded to what was described as a suite by front desk, but in reality is more of a mini-suite. No complaints though, the hotel is full for the holiday, I booked a cheap room and got a small suite with a great river view. There is no lounge, the Globalist breakfast is in the dining room, the buffet doesn't offer a lot of choices, but the food is pretty good, including made to order eggs. The front desk also acknowledged my late check out benefit, and asked pro actively for our check out time.

My first stay here, so nothing I can compare to past stays, overall pleased with what I received for the money spent.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:51 am

Currently staying here, pretty impressed with service. I was proactively upgraded to a riverview suite which is technically a premium suite but identical to their standard suite but with a riverview. I heard one woman yelling at the front desk because she wanted a suite and I overheard they aren't selling them because of staffing issues, my guess is she had no status since I didn't even ask for one. Breakfast menu is extremely limited because of the virus but was nonetheless happy to get something... I didn't ask what the occupancy rate is but my guess is it's around 50% maybe even higher, the checkin line at 5pm had about 15-20 people waiting. I was given a hand written letter from the manager and a voucher for items from the corner market worth "10 points" I think soft drinks were 2, snacks beer and sandwiches 5, bottle of wine was 10. So I got a free bottle of wine. Definitely coming to this regency again in the future, I've stayed at the Andaz here and the staff was rude and frankly the hotel isn't as nice in my opinion. TV has free HBO GO, Netflix requires you to login.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Parrothead, OT but what %age of the bars & restaurants of DT Savannah are open after the COVID-19 lockdown? I live a 2-hour drive from Savannah & wonder if it's worth visiting yet.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:52 pm

@Brendan - did you make it for a visit in the end? Curious if anyone has any recent post-Covid reports...

Thanks!
Brendan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:38 pm

I had two Covid stays here, one Memorial Day weekend and one Labor Day weekend. Both times, they upgraded me as a globalist to a City View Suite (Plaza Suite), which is a very spacious suite. The living room and dining room are separated from the bedroom, which is in an alcove. I personally prefer the rooms here over the Andaz Savannah. The location of the hotel is also better than the Andaz — this is right on the riverfront.

I would say that the hotel is running pretty much the same now as it was in May. Check-in was easy, and the front desk is very friendly. Valet is offered, and free for globalists (otherwise something outrageous like $36 a day).

They have been offering free breakfast for globalists, but only on the weekends. I will say that the staff was rather confused about whether breakfast was free currently, but in the end there were no issues when I went to the restaurant. I’m guessing very few globalists have been staying recently. The free breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, and potatoes. Basic, but it was very good. They let us add coffees also with no problem... and they even let us take a muffin one day and a fruit cup a different day in addition to the other stuff, so they weren’t too strict. The bar was fully open on the weekend along with the restaurant. During the week it’s a different story (closed but depends on the day).

This hotel is a steal right now for Savannah for what you get. Combine it with the Privé 2 night 1 night free rate, and I was paying $130 a night+tax with free breakfast, free parking, $100 credit, and triple points (which will go back in effect on October 1).

Out of all the places we have stayed during the Covid era, we have been pretty impressed by this Hyatt Regency. They take cleaning incredibly seriously, they have great staff, and everyone does their best to make the best of the situation. It’s in a prime location for visiting Savannah, and we will definitely be back.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:41 pm

Curious to which property this thread pertains as there is no ‘Hyatt Savannah’ - only:

1. Hyatt Regency Savannah (category 3)
2. Andaz Savannah (category 4)
3. Hyatt Place Savannah (category 2)

Suspect it’s #1...?
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:18 pm

Thank you! You are right that it is a steal with the 3rd night free promo. I'm looking at this and the Andaz and they are both in the same price range for next month...looking forward to visiting Savannah for the first time. Do most of the restaurants downtown have outdoor seating available? Any recs for what is open, nearby, and delicious? I wonder how I'd even use the $100 property credit with free breakfast, parking, and all those good restaurants in town
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by madderlake
Thank you! You are right that it is a steal with the 3rd night free promo. I'm looking at this and the Andaz and they are both in the same price range for next month...looking forward to visiting Savannah for the first time. Do most of the restaurants downtown have outdoor seating available? Any recs for what is open, nearby, and delicious? I wonder how I'd even use the $100 property credit with free breakfast, parking, and all those good restaurants in town
The Andaz is not your typical Andaz. I’d compare it more to a Centric. It’s nice, very boutique like. However, I think the service during Covid is 5x better at the Regency. I have not stayed at the Andaz since May. The management is far nicer at the Regency. I got a handwritten note both times I stayed at the Regency, and the second time I got a note and an email from the new GM during my stay. They care tremendously about globalists... as opposed to the Andaz that didn’t upgrade my room, didnt give a note or anything, and didn’t provide breakfast during my stay. Also, if you care about the gym, which matters to me a lot, the Regency gym is huge, while the Andaz is basically a closet with a treadmill.

The Regency hasn’t been remodeled in awhile, but I personally really like it. If you get a suite, they are spacious. Location is better for river walks and I value service of which the Regency blows away the Andaz here.

The answer with outdoor seating is it depends. The two best restaurants in the city, Alligator Soul and Olde Pink House, only have indoor seating... but they distance the tables a lot and the staff is very cautious. Alligator Soul I’ve now been to twice and thought the food was incredible. Only a few years old, it is very trendy right now in Savannah. They are known for serving exotic dishes like alligator, as well as amazing modern American type of dishes. I thought the duck was incredible, which is one of their specialities. The Olde Pink House is a Classic... been around forever and I thought their food was very good. For dessert you can’t go wrong with Leopolds ice cream, which will always have a line (tip: the Regency sells the ice cream in many different flavors as pints in the hotel, as well as cookie ice cream sandwiches).

If you want outdoor seating, there are a decent number of restaurants that offer it in the historic district, just not so much down river street. We thought Little Duck Diner had pretty solid brunch. Some of the best restaurants unfortunately are not equipped for outdoor seating.

In terms of what is open? Everything is open now. I didn’t find a single store or restaurant closed.

As for the credit, we had difficulty using it all. We ate lunch at the hotel a couple times, and we thought the bar was actually very good and reasonably priced. We also got some Leopold’s ice cream from the market at night.

I hope that helps. Happy to answer anything else!
Skink likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by madderlake
@Brendan - did you make it for a visit in the end? Curious if anyone has any recent post-Covid reports...

Thanks!
Yes, I went for the night of Sat. Aug. 15. There was a banner on the City Hall and a lighted-letters sign nearby announcing "Masks Required." But in the crowded streets & bars it was a quite normal pre-COVID Saturday night!
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:13 pm

Currently staying here for one night. As explorist upgraded to the city view suite with a shared outdoor terrace. I would have preferred a standard room with river view but this is a very pleasant surprise. 2 pm check out prospectively offered at check in. GM wrote a hand written welcome note along with a 10 points voucher (sandwich/salad is 5 point each, wine 10 point). This property certainly goes above and beyond.
59Impala and projectmaximus like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:46 pm

Had another stay here. GM emailed a few days before to welcome me back. A day before check in, showed upgraded to city view suite on the app. On the check of check in, upgraded further to river view suite which is technically a premium suite. It's really a junior suite as it's just one large space. The view is amazing. Bathroom is small and the same size as the base room. 4 pm check out proactively offered during check in. Again, given a 10 points voucher and grabbed 2 sandwiches with it. I had the buffet for breakfast and it was decent. The entire charge was wiped out at check out.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That 10 point voucher, oftentimes, they won't proactively offer it to you. I think this HR Savannah is one of the most underrated hotels in the SE. Amazing location and great value. They had an indoor pool, a la carte breakfast for globalists, on the river, etc.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:10 pm

Going in a couple of weeks for a night. Looking forward to it
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Data points from two separate stays here last month - the first was 3 nights using points and the second was 1 paid night (with four nights at the Andaz in between).

Stay 1: Welcome-back email from GM a couple of days before check-in, upgrade to River View suite, proactively offered 4 PM checkout and 10-point market voucher, a la carte breakfasts were great. I picked up a few things from the market beyond what the voucher covered (Leopold's ice cream cookie sandwiches, several times), but those items were never added to my folio. Brought it up at checkout, but they waved it off and told me not to worry about it, which was appreciated.

Stay 2: Upgrade to 1 King with Terrace View and Patio, 4 PM checkout offered, but I had to ask for the 10-point voucher.

Very good stay overall. The rooms could use a refresh, but the location, river view, and Globalist recognition were all excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.