Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:01 pm

disregard

Last edited by Soccerjoshj07; Jul 3, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
Not sure if anything is new here, but writing this up anyways.

I also had no problem using the 4pm late checkout - worked really well for my wife that was flying in and wanting a place to freshen up before we continue on.

No real upgrade since the rest of the hotel was full, but was on the top floor with a balcony city view.

They have a happy hour from 2-5 (or 6?) every day - we had cheap gin and tonics and a flatbread for lunch.

The breakfast was nice, I had the shrimp and grits along with a coffee and orange juice with no issues on the bill.

Globalist welcome gift of a few sample size bottles of vodka and bourbon along with a local snack. Mini fridge was included, except for the alcohol.

It was pretty warm in Savannah, so the AC had a hard time of keeping up a little bit, it was 72-73* before I went to bed but it caught up to 70* sometime during the night.

Valet was busy, make sure to message well ahead of time (20-30 minutes) for when you need your car, but worked out well for a Globalist. Would recommend for the 18,000 points I spent.

The Globalist goody bag, shrimp and grits and fridge plus 18K points (peak Cat 4) look like you're describing the Andaz Savannah and not Hyatt Regency.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:32 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
deleted

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 4, 2022 at 2:32 am
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
that was my initial thought as well…
yep you're right, my bad, will fix! If you can edit your post and remove the quoted content, that would confuse less people now
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Trying to decide between Hyatt and Andaz Savannah for Columbus Day weekend (Oct 6-10). I am Explorist so not expecting upgrade but it would be nice to have a room with a view. Travelling with wife for just a quick getaway without the kids and late anniversary. First time in Savannah, just plan to eat, shop, walk around the city. Normally, I would choose the Andaz for the hip, boutique factor but from the reviews, I have been reading, the Andaz is not that great. Location a little better based on google maps.

Hyatt is 12,000 points cheaper for a 4 night stay (3000 points cheaper each night) plus no resort fees compared to Andaz $30 fee/day. Leaning towards Hyatt Regency. Any reason to choose the Andaz? Is it a much better hotel and unique than the Hyatt? Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Trying to decide between Hyatt and Andaz Savannah for Columbus Day weekend (Oct 6-10). I am Explorist so not expecting upgrade but it would be nice to have a room with a view. Travelling with wife for just a quick getaway without the kids and late anniversary. First time in Savannah, just plan to eat, shop, walk around the city. Normally, I would choose the Andaz for the hip, boutique factor but from the reviews, I have been reading, the Andaz is not that great. Location a little better based on google maps.

Hyatt is 12,000 points cheaper for a 4 night stay (3000 points cheaper each night) plus no resort fees compared to Andaz $30 fee/day. Leaning towards Hyatt Regency. Any reason to choose the Andaz? Is it a much better hotel and unique than the Hyatt? Thanks!
I much prefer the Andaz over the Regency, also you wouldn't pay resort fees if it's an award stay.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cdoobiest

The room and hotel are nicer at Andaz, but the HR is underrated. If walkability is important, HR Is hands down better. It's right in the middle of the river boardwalk with tons of restaurants right next to it. The Andaz is at the end of the riverwalk and so you're walking a further or driving.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swhang
The room and hotel are nicer at Andaz, but the HR is underrated. If walkability is important, HR Is hands down better. It's right in the middle of the river boardwalk with tons of restaurants right next to it. The Andaz is at the end of the riverwalk and so you're walking a further or driving.
I completely disagree that the "HR is hands down better" for walkability. It's a very broad brushstroke, subjective statement and depends entirely on where one wants to walk. My wife and much prefer walking around the actual town of Savannah (the squares, the parks, the core downtown, Forsyth Park, etc.). We actually find the riverwalk to be a total tourist trap and largely a complete turnoff with grossly overpriced restaurants, trinket stores, etc. We perhaps go down there once per trip for maybe and hour or so. So to us the Andaz works much better.

There is no "one size fits all" in this game.

Regards
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I completely disagree that the "HR is hands down better" for walkability. It's a very broad brushstroke, subjective statement and depends entirely on where one wants to walk. My wife and much prefer walking around the actual town of Savannah (the squares, the parks, the core downtown, Forsyth Park, etc.). We actually find the riverwalk to be a total tourist trap and largely a complete turnoff with grossly overpriced restaurants, trinket stores, etc. We perhaps go down there once per trip for maybe and hour or so. So to us the Andaz works much better.

There is no "one size fits all" in this game.

Regards
You are both correct. Depending on the traveler, both locations are prime.

The HR has the advantage of some wonderful river (boat) views as well. Some people could care less about that.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; UA 1K, 1MM; Hyatt Globalist
The Andaz is on Ellis Square. It is also surrounded by restaurants. The Hyatt property at the end of the "boardwalk" is The Thompson.
808traveler likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Quite Liked the Savannah Hyatt Regency

Maybe the best last-minute use of a couple of expiring Cat. 1-4 certificates ever.

Spacious Hyatt big-atrium period hotel on Bay Street backing up to River Street, with a view of the river all along the back. Not sure when the last remodel was, but we saw only minimal wear. I thought the bedding was perfect, but a bit firm for Mrs. Jayer. I know it was off-season and we were there during the week, but given a generous room assignment, especially since in retirement I have backslid from long-term Globalist to Explorist. Great view. Quiet room. I enjoyed the spacious lobby with various seating areas people could gather in.

I'm not really into the bar scene, but the bar is open concept with the restaurant wrapped around it like a horseshoe. I thought that was really an effective way to lighten up the bar and make it more inviting to people traveling by themselves. We ate one morning from the very expansive buffet. The food was still fresh after prime breakfast hours. There were several appealing regional plated options I would have tried if we were there longer. No club, but brief happy hour at the bar. (I think four to five) every day, with limited but complimentary beer and wine (Canvas white has really improved). Also received a restaurant or market credit (but I can't tell you if it was tied to World of Hyatt membership,or status, or not).

Staff interaction in the restaurant and the front desk was efficient and friendly. Just a good cultural vibe to the place. Reminded me why I always hoped I would be booked into a full-serve Hyatt back when I all but lived in hotels for work. Just might go back next fall.

Last edited by jayer; Dec 2, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by jayer
No club, but brief happy hour at the bar. (I think four to five) every day, with limited but complimentary beer and wine (Canvas white has really improved). Also received a restaurant or market credit (but I can't tell you if it was tied to World of Hyatt membership,or status, or not).
The 4-5pm beer or wine and the $5 market credit are part of the resort fee. (Note that I still received the credit as a Globalist with waived resort fee.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.