Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

World Of Hyatt Improves Milestone Rewards, Guest Of Honor (From 1/1/2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Of Hyatt Improves Milestone Rewards, Guest Of Honor (From 1/1/2024)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It says explicitly “gifting Globalist status benefits for a stay”.
Thanks for clarifying. I was merely thinking in terms of how they marketed it in the past ("lend YOUR status benefits to someone else").

Gifting someone (or yourself) Explorist status would be what… two water bottles a day? Not much of an honor.
I don't know why FT'ers constantly need to hate on Explorist, even when it's OT. I think Explorist is a solid and valuable mid-tier status. And I've seen both sides as former Globalist and current Explorist (given my travel patterns, I am better off going for top-tier elsewhere due to not so great Hyatt coverage at my current top 2 destinations).

But I do value the guaranteed 2 PM late check-out, the dedicated Explorist line, the four club access vouchers, the cat 1-4 free night, the upgrades and assorted other benefits. As someone staying mainly outside the Americas, I do get decent room upgrades. Sometimes, I do get assorted other benefits such as drink vouchers (soft drinks/wine/beer) at the hotel bar and such.

Reducing Explorist to free water is either very polemic or a very US-centric view. I mean, I am sorry that the state of hotels in the US is so bad that even Globalist at an HR far from guarantees a great stay. And yeah, as an Explorist at a US Hyatt you may be treated just like the next guy who booked via Priceline. It just echoes my favorite FT quote (FTer tries to check in at 2 PM and ask nicely if a room is ready. Hilton front-desk agent: "Thank you for being a valued Hilton Diamond member. Check-in is at 3 PM!")

Tl;dr I find Explorist quite valuable. And, of course, these program changes make the level even better.
Warriorconcept and Eridium like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ffgap
I don't know why FT'ers constantly need to hate on Explorist, even when it's OT.
How is it off topic if the claim was that GoH might give people Explorist status if it conveys the status of the person gifting the GoH pass? All I was saying is that it would not be much of a gift.

I think Explorist is a solid and valuable mid-tier status. …

But I do value the guaranteed 2 PM late check-out, the dedicated Explorist line, the four club access vouchers, the cat 1-4 free night, the upgrades and assorted other benefits.
So again, which of those benefits would a Guest of Honor get from Explorist status? The 2pm late checkout, maybe a nicer view, and two bottles of water. Because the club certs and the cat 1-4 cert aren’t actually Explorist benefits. And they presumably won’t be calling the designated Explorist line.

Fortunately that doesn’t seem applicable since GoH don’t get those minimal benefits. Glad you find Explorist beneficial, though.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Yeah I'm not sure I agree with the thread title lol.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Because the club certs and the cat 1-4 cert aren’t actually Explorist benefits.
They obviously are. It's just a completely superfluous marketing layer telling you different. I find the causality speaks pretty clearly.

If you quality for Explorist, you get both. Except for rare status matches, you get the 1-4 cert, 2 club access awards, and Explorist for the exact same requirement at the exact same time. For all intents and purposes, you'd have to factor these in when comparing to other mid-tier statuses.

That is now really OT, though, considering Hyatt will make GoH essentially a cert and enforce their non-combinability rules. Not that it matters, as if GoH confers Globalist benefits and hence lounge access, there's would not be any scenario which involved combination with the club access voucher.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If you quality for Explorist, you get both. Except for rare status matches, you get the 1-4 cert, 2 club access awards, and Explorist for the exact same requirement at the exact same time. For all intents and purposes, you'd have to factor these in when comparing to other mid-tier statuses.
You are the one taking this really OT. Again, an Explorist GoH benefit (if there was such a thing) would NOT give the giftee all these benefits you list. That is all I said. You took it as an insult to the Explorist status and replied with your laundry list of things you get when you acquire Explorist via 30 nights. Against, irrelevant to the discussion.

As I demonstrated, there is no Explorist GoH status. Presumably (speculating) because it would not be much of value. I think we should end this detour into bizarro world
chicagojd likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Highly unlikely. The majority of people do not use points for most stays. There's no reason that GoH would be any different.

Most people also do not pay for the stays of other people; I'm not sure why you think this would change that.

The most likely use is I tell a friend who will be staying at a Hyatt, "hey, if I give you this award you get free breakfast, waived resort fee, late checkout if you want, maybe get upgraded, and you just pay for your stay normally." Of course they will take that if they were going to stay there anyway.
Currently, GOH bookings can only be used with award stays. Most Globalists are using their own points to make GOH for others, as their friend/family aren't collecting Chase UR or Hyatt points. Keep in mind most Globalists and their friends/family aren't in the miles points game.

Moving forward in 2024, I suspect most Globs will continue to book GOH using their own points as they currently do. The EQN is a small token award. Certainly, the Globs in the miles points cult will do exactly as you state but we're a small %.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Moving forward in 2024, I suspect most Globs will continue to book GOH using their own points as they currently do. The EQN is a small token award. Certainly, the Globs in the miles points cult will do exactly as you state but we're a small %.
I understand that you expect this. I see no logical reason for this expectation. How it works currently is irrelevant.

Most globalists do not have enough points to book stays for other people (and even if they do, why would they spend them on other people rather then on themselves?) What you are saying makes no sense at all.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:20 am

Currently, GOH bookings can only be used with award stays. Most Globalists are using their own points to make GOH for others, as their friend/family aren't collecting Chase UR or Hyatt points. Keep in mind most Globalists and their friends/family aren't in the miles points game.

but is the extra EQN as a result of the gifting of the cert or gifting plus consumption of the upgrade by the recipient?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:23 am

MGM cheap stays are no longer an option...that will definitely thin out the "competition".

Last edited by Troopers; Dec 2, 2023 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by myperks
but is the extra EQN as a result of the gifting of the cert or gifting plus consumption of the upgrade by the recipient?
Gifting plus consumption.. "....when your Guest of Honor completes their stay."

myperks and CoffeeTraveler like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for clarifying. I was merely thinking in terms of how they marketed it in the past ("lend YOUR status benefits to someone else").

I don't know why FT'ers constantly need to hate on Explorist, even when it's OT. I think Explorist is a solid and valuable mid-tier status. And I've seen both sides as former Globalist and current Explorist (given my travel patterns, I am better off going for top-tier elsewhere due to not so great Hyatt coverage at my current top 2 destinations).

But I do value the guaranteed 2 PM late check-out, the dedicated Explorist line, the four club access vouchers, the cat 1-4 free night, the upgrades and assorted other benefits. As someone staying mainly outside the Americas, I do get decent room upgrades. Sometimes, I do get assorted other benefits such as drink vouchers (soft drinks/wine/beer) at the hotel bar and such.

Reducing Explorist to free water is either very polemic or a very US-centric view. I mean, I am sorry that the state of hotels in the US is so bad that even Globalist at an HR far from guarantees a great stay. And yeah, as an Explorist at a US Hyatt you may be treated just like the next guy who booked via Priceline. It just echoes my favorite FT quote (FTer tries to check in at 2 PM and ask nicely if a room is ready. Hilton front-desk agent: "Thank you for being a valued Hilton Diamond member. Check-in is at 3 PM!")

Tl;dr I find Explorist quite valuable. And, of course, these program changes make the level even better.
2pm checkout is certainly nice. I seriously doubt that the "dedicated explorist line" is anything other then the normal call desk answering with a script claiming to be the explorist desk, but whatever. And don't knock the water; it's convenient.

The certs are not a benefit of status. You can earn the status without getting the milestone rewards; that was the whole point of decoupling them. There are many explorists who do not get the certs, just like there are many globalists who do not get concierges or SUAs or cat 1-7 nights.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:35 am

I understand that you expect this. I see no logical reason for this expectation. How it works currently is irrelevant.

Most globalists do not have enough points to book stays for other people (and even if they do, why would they spend them on other people rather then on themselves?) What you are saying makes no sense at all.
You're not a rookie here so I'm surprised in your position. There's tons of posting of FT'ers knowing someone that willingly don't care about extracting maximum value out of travel loyally programs. This is no different. Only miles and points nerds are talking about the new program changes. Most Globalists don't even know, haven't read the email, etc. I guess you never experienced "that's how I've always done it".
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not a rookie here so I'm surprised in your position. There's tons of posting of FT'ers knowing someone that willingly don't care about extracting maximum value out of travel loyally programs. This is no different. Only miles and points nerds are talking about the new program changes. Most Globalists don't even know, haven't read the email, etc. I guess you never experienced "that's how I've always done it".
Most globalists don't know what GoH is and have never used it. If 10% of globalists have used it once in their lives I would be shocked.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:49 am

Most globalists don't know what GoH is and have never used it. If 10% of globalists have used it once in their lives I would be shocked.
I agree, and this reinforces my position....the new rules won't be changing ppl's behavior.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree, and this reinforces my position....the new rules won't be changing ppl's behavior.
You are not making any sense. You are saying that the non-FTers will continue to book using their own points. But the non-FTers aren't using GoH at all.

All this change does is screw over the people who abuse the benefit. The EQN means that they no longer have any sale or trade value. There will be enough people willing to apply their GoH awards to your reservation for free that it doesn't make sense to pay someone to do so.

And of course the mile and point broker scammers are SOL.

For the people who actually use it legitimately, it makes it more convenient (no need to transfer points over). They can just apply the award to the guest's reservation and let the guest pay as they wish. The idea that they will continue to do things the old, inconvenient way is silly. Your original statement that the EQN is a reward for using your points for someone else is factually false, since you can get the EQN without using your points for someone else.
Tino and JoeWoodstock like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.