Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Spring 2023 Global promotion - 3k points for 2 nights starting with 2nd stay (ended)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2023 Global promotion - 3k points for 2 nights starting with 2nd stay (ended)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Not sure why you always respond to every point I make about Hyatt with something about Marriott. Frankly, they don't have anything to do with each other. Hyatt should stop over-engineering promotions with rules so convoluted and unclear that they have to make a FAQ with specific scenarios on how they would count stays/nights/cities - that has nothing to do with Marriott.

But, since you brought it up, yes, both Marriott and Hilton have somehow managed to run current promotions that aren't confusing with terms that were easily understood. Hyatt could do the same but chooses not to.
Marriott too has done "starting with second stay" promos in the past. Guess what - it's not rocket science. Hyatt is doing a lot of points + bonus points in certain key travel markets.

By way of comparison, Marriott's 1K points/night (vs. Hyatt's 1.5K/night in essence) means you are getting 3x-3.5x with Hyatt. Marriott giving DEQN will just continue the downward spiral of benefits there unless you spend $23K (which already is money not exactly well spent).

Just bringing some objectivity to the mix here.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Caesar's Diamond, MGM Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I read on a popular travel blog that to qualify for the bonus the stay(s) must be booked directly with Hyatt.

However, I read through the T&C and found no such requirement.

Does anyone see anything corroborating the travel blogger's claim?

Of course, I am asking bc I book my Vegas stays at MGM Rewards site to avoid resort fees (MGM Gold status).
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BKDeltaFlyer
Of course, I am asking bc I book my Vegas stays at MGM Rewards site to avoid resort fees (MGM Gold status).
Assuming you have your WOH number on your reservation booked directly with MGM rewards (NOT any kind of OTA), it will qualify for the promotion. If you're lawyer-minded (not that there's anything wrong with being so) and wanted to dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s, give the FD or VIP lounge your Hyatt number before checking in (even if you think they have it, just confirm it) and confirm it again during check out. This way, you'll avoid there, "oh, you have to provide the Hyatt number before checking in" nonsense scripted reply.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
These promos they have been running recently seem like they are engineered to incentivize breakage. FTers might be able to get it, but normal consumers don't care enough. Normal consumers have money to spend - probably way more than someone like me does.
This particular FTer would much prefer convoluted and lucrative to simple and unprofitable. Whether it maximizes Hyatt’s revenue or works well for “normal” people doesn’t matter to me at all. “Normal” people pay for many of my vacations through their non-optimal choices, and I like it that way.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:49 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I read on a popular travel blog that to qualify for the bonus the stay(s) must be booked directly with Hyatt.

You may want to look at the definition of "Eligible Rate" and "Ineligible Rates" in the WoH T&Cs. In particular ...

"Ineligible Rates” are all rates other than Eligible Rates and include Free Night Awards (as defined in Appendix B), complimentary nights awarded in connection with Miraval’s Authentic Circle program, rooms booked on third-party online retailers (such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com, Inspirato.com, home-sharing sites, or any other third-party online/mobile travel portal or bookings made directly on Google.com and TripAdvisor Instant Book), traditional wholesale rates (examples include, without limitation, GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, Tourico, and Hotelbeds), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, media rates, Club at the Hyatt discount stays, Hyatt employee or employee family or friends-and-family discount rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers, or contracted rooms. "
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I'm not sure why you refer to a popular travel blog as the source of truth. Always trust the T&C.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott too has done "starting with second stay" promos in the past. Guess what - it's not rocket science. Hyatt is doing a lot of points + bonus points in certain key travel markets.

By way of comparison, Marriott's 1K points/night (vs. Hyatt's 1.5K/night in essence) means you are getting 3x-3.5x with Hyatt. Marriott giving DEQN will just continue the downward spiral of benefits there unless you spend $23K (which already is money not exactly well spent).

Just bringing some objectivity to the mix here.
Ah, yes, you're definitely our most objective source. The very same poster who brings Marriott into every conversation to convince themselves that they made the right choice dealing with Hyatt's limited footprint because Marriott is "soulless" (as if Hyatt isn't also a "soulless" corporation). How objective of you.

Again, my point is that Hyatt could do a lot better with "normal" travelers by making promos with fewer gotchas, limitations, and clauses. Just a simple recommendation after observing plenty of "normal" travelers in my personal life - that is all.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:33 am

I'm going to roll the dice and book an "office for the day" on the 21st, as there are no cheaper stays within fifty miles of here. The extra 7k over my natural earn and the extra EQN is worth the $100 booking, if the EQN and stay credits like I expect.
pronichkin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
Yes. They have always been, at least the ones specified & participating, e.g., Ex, Lux, MGM G, PMGM, Bellagio, Aria, MBay, and associated suites, like Delano, Vdara, Nomad, etc.
What do you mean by associated suites?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skj
You may want to look at the definition of "Eligible Rate" and "Ineligible Rates" in the WoH T&Cs. In particular ...

"Ineligible Rates” are all rates other than Eligible Rates and include Free Night Awards (as defined in Appendix B), complimentary nights awarded in connection with Miraval’s Authentic Circle program, rooms booked on third-party online retailers (such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com, Inspirato.com, home-sharing sites, or any other third-party online/mobile travel portal or bookings made directly on Google.com and TripAdvisor Instant Book), traditional wholesale rates (examples include, without limitation, GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, Tourico, and Hotelbeds), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, media rates, Club at the Hyatt discount stays, Hyatt employee or employee family or friends-and-family discount rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers, or contracted rooms. "
Around when were Free Night Awards first categorized as “ineligible rates” by Hyatt?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sure, the nuance can be navigated by those who spend their time online and on FT. I spend most of my waking hours thinking about travel - it's my passion and hobby outside of video games. However, what about all of the other folks who don't read blogs, FT, etc? Those folks travel and spend money, and the point of promotions is to incentivize extra incremental travel spend to go to the offering company, correct?

If I'm a "normal" consumer, I'm either going to see this promotion, move some stays to Hyatt, and then end up pissed off when I don't get 3000 points every two nights (because a first stay is involved) and feel like Hyatt is trying to trick me with gotchas. Same thing for the limited list of cities for the CC part - who is going to memorize those?

OR
I'm a "normal" consumer who will just choose to ignore this promo because Hilton gives double points and Marriott gives double nights and I don't have the patience to deliberately move stays to Hyatt and constantly be double-checking city lists.

These promos they have been running recently seem like they are engineered to incentivize breakage. FTers might be able to get it, but normal consumers don't care enough. Normal consumers have money to spend - probably way more than someone like me does.
I hear you on this. I am pretty deep into the game and even I am not always on top of nuances like Hyatt Free Night Awards being “ineligible rates” and can see getting frustrated that a cat 1-4 free night award is inapplicable for hotel rooms going for 3500 Hyatt points but the Cat 1-4 awards are structured for more breakage and thus not applicable on the one hand and, on the other hand, not “eligible rates”.
DELee and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:02 pm
skj

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Around when were Free Night Awards first categorized as “ineligible rates” by Hyatt?
"Ineligible Rates" have included Free Night Awards since the roll out of WoH, if not before. That's why the T&Cs for this (and other) promo includes ...

"6. What is an Eligible Stay?
For the purpose of this offer, an Eligible Stay is defined as a stay at a participating hotel where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a Free Night award. ..."
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:07 pm
skj

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I hear you on this. I am pretty deep into the game and even I am not always on top of nuances like Hyatt Free Night Awards being “ineligible rates” and can see getting frustrated that a cat 1-4 free night award is inapplicable for hotel rooms going for 3500 Hyatt points but the Cat 1-4 awards are structured for more breakage and thus not applicable on the one hand and, on the other hand, not “eligible rates”.
You should look at the definition of Free Night Award ...
  • Free Night Awards ... may be: (i) available to Members who redeem a specified number of points or (ii) earned by qualifying Members as a benefit in the Program or as a part of a related promotional offer from Hyatt.
Item (ii) includes Cat 1-4 Free Night Awards, Brand Explorer Free Night Awards, and the like.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sure, the nuance can be navigated by those who spend their time online and on FT. I spend most of my waking hours thinking about travel - it's my passion and hobby outside of video games. However, what about all of the other folks who don't read blogs, FT, etc? Those folks travel and spend money, and the point of promotions is to incentivize extra incremental travel spend to go to the offering company, correct?

If I'm a "normal" consumer, I'm either going to see this promotion, move some stays to Hyatt, and then end up pissed off when I don't get 3000 points every two nights (because a first stay is involved) and feel like Hyatt is trying to trick me with gotchas. Same thing for the limited list of cities for the CC part - who is going to memorize those?

OR
I'm a "normal" consumer who will just choose to ignore this promo because Hilton gives double points and Marriott gives double nights and I don't have the patience to deliberately move stays to Hyatt and constantly be double-checking city lists.

Well... looks like the current Hyatt promotion has borrowed their tricks from the 4Q 2022 Marriott promotion (although Marriott gave points per stay, Hyatt gives points per two nights).

From https://news.marriott.com/news/2022/...obal-promotion
Registration starts September 7, 2022, for the promotion and runs until December 1, 2022, enabling registered members to earn 2,000 bonus points on each eligible stay starting with the second stay, between September 21, 2022, and December 15, 2022. There is no limit to the number of bonus points members can earn, creating a virtuous circle that means the more they travel, the more points they bank for their next trip of a lifetime.
The offer is even more enticing for Marriott Bonvoy® Credit Card holders, who can earn an additional 2,000 bonus points per stay at different hotel brands, starting with their second brand during the promotion earning period. This means Card holders could earn up to 4,000 bonus points on an individual stay, with no maximum limits, while exploring the unrivaled depth and breadth of the Marriott Bonvoy brand portfolio. From a stay at a Courtyard by Marriott while on a cross-country road trip, to a stay at EDITION for an immersive experience in a bustling metropolis, or to a relaxing stay at The Ritz-Carlton in a tropical oasis.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Well... looks like the current Hyatt promotion has borrowed their tricks from the 4Q 2022 Marriott promotion (although Marriott gave points per stay, Hyatt gives points per two nights).

From https://news.marriott.com/news/2022/...obal-promotion
Registration starts September 7, 2022, for the promotion and runs until December 1, 2022, enabling registered members to earn 2,000 bonus points on each eligible stay starting with the second stay, between September 21, 2022, and December 15, 2022. There is no limit to the number of bonus points members can earn, creating a virtuous circle that means the more they travel, the more points they bank for their next trip of a lifetime.
The offer is even more enticing for Marriott Bonvoy® Credit Card holders, who can earn an additional 2,000 bonus points per stay at different hotel brands, starting with their second brand during the promotion earning period. This means Card holders could earn up to 4,000 bonus points on an individual stay, with no maximum limits, while exploring the unrivaled depth and breadth of the Marriott Bonvoy brand portfolio. From a stay at a Courtyard by Marriott while on a cross-country road trip, to a stay at EDITION for an immersive experience in a bustling metropolis, or to a relaxing stay at The Ritz-Carlton in a tropical oasis.
Don't get me wrong - that promotion was confusing, too, especially when the brand bonuses came into play. Though, as you mentioned, at least everything was counted per stay rather than some aspects measured in nights and some in stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.